Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2020, 09:48 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times

Advertisements

I'm not going to say most jobs can go online but I'd argue that half can. Eventually companies might automate others. Without immigration and a birthrate things will tighten. Retirement of baby boomers and covidcreates further tightening.

I have a really bad feeling about Boston this fall and winter. We should not be opening colleges and universities. The number of students from high covid areas is high. These are college students. It's hard to block parties and events especially in a world of smart phones and social media. The town administrator of Amherst has to deal with 19,000 people coming in of which they only know what they can test on campus. Are off campus property owners really going to test students? Many elderly people gravitate towards college communities because they tend to have more arts and culture.

Spring break caused a spread, we know this. That's just one week. How about the right weeks of summer?

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/spring...ry?id=71409325

But we can contact trace... About that
https://www.wbur.org/commonhealth/20...ocal-officials

"Republican Gov. Charlie Baker said Wednesday the effort simply had more staff than needed because the pandemic has been easing in Massachusetts. The rate of positive cases in the state has hovered around 2% since mid-June."

The mass positive rate is 2% OK but what about other states?

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/25/coro...-capacity.html

Florida 18%
California 8%
Texas 15%
Arizona 25%
Georgia 16%
North Carolina 6%
South Carolina 16%
Tennessee 9%
Louisiana 10%
Alabama 19%

Sure we can talk about the two weeks of and testing from the state but how is that really going to get enforced?

https://www.masslive.com/coronavirus...e-per-day.html

So unless you have a Licences plate of other states you cannot assume something is from out of state. We can't detain people to check id for the heck of it.

I see us going back to phase two if not one with a second wave. It is not worth it to act like we can reopen. Anyone saying they aren't being as productive as the office I have to ask if the owner thinks that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2020, 11:41 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,283,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
Yup, thanks for using one day. Florida has a substantially larger population than Massachusetts. The overall death rate in Florida is still way lower than Massachusetts. Much of the northeast got hit first and I believe many up in that area have developed an immunity now. I know this isn't a stat, but almost everyone I know up there which is well over 50 people were sick in January, February, or March and it was all said to be the basic flu.
Can someone please explain to me why we're having this argument? One state vs. another? OP, what is your purpose for coming here and criticizing MA, like you're almost happy to point out where the statistics have been bad. It's like you would be glad to see our state fail. Why is that? Are you so miserable and bitter that you take pleasure in seeing misery outside of yourself?

This pandemic is a tragedy for ALL of us. Our entire country. Why are we pointing fingers at one state vs. another. We are the United States. United.

Please go stir your divisive garbage somewhere else.

Old 07-26-2020, 11:48 AM

23,560 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcuit View Post
Can someone please explain to me why we're having this argument? One state vs. another? OP, what is your purpose for coming here and criticizing MA, like you're almost happy to point out where the statistics have been bad. It's like you would be glad to see our state fail. Why is that? Are you so miserable and bitter that you take pleasure in seeing misery outside of yourself?

This pandemic is a tragedy for ALL of us. Our entire country. Why are we pointing fingers at one state vs. another. We are the United States. United.

Thank you.

Old 07-26-2020, 01:01 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,320,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Anyone saying they aren't being as productive as the office I have to ask if the owner thinks that.
I'm pretty sure if our CEO thought we were 100% as productive at home as we were in the office he wouldn't have mandated 50% return to the office and any vacations taken must be taken during weeks you are NOT scheduled to be in the office. Our SVP has also reiterated on several calls that productivity has dipped since things started reopening. A comment was made along the lines that they believed productivity was better in March and April because employees literally had nowhere else to go so they were better about staying home and working. The sentiment has changed significantly in the months since.

Anyone with kids at home is taking a battering to productivity unless they've lined up alternative daycare/schooling options. I'm maybe 50% as productive as I was before I had a toddler around all day.

Old 07-26-2020, 02:17 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
I feel like it’s going to differ with every industry. In our case, even with a 50/50 split of remote and in office, we just had a record 2 quarters and met all our goals while performing remotely part of the time. Our particular office is very tech heavy with little customer interaction pre-Covid outside of conference calls. I’m sure other industries/companies are having completely different results with this experiment over the last few months. Will be interesting to see how it plays out long term.

Of course, remote work while trying to manage remote learning with kids is a while nuther story.

Old 07-26-2020, 02:29 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
https://www.mass.gov/doc/covid-19-da...-2020/download

273 new cases and 19 deaths.

Slight uptick in positivity rate. Nothing to be alarmed with yet but something to keep an eye on.

Old 07-26-2020, 03:35 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Anyone hear of that cruise ship yet? Seriously
https://www.masslive.com/boston/2020...-capacity.html

Old 07-26-2020, 03:43 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,650,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcuit View Post

I only responded to somebody. It is relevant than people praise MA but yet their death rate and economy are horrible. The initial post was about how MA and many states have destroyed their economies due to this.

Old 07-26-2020, 03:59 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,438,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
https://www.mass.gov/doc/covid-19-da...-2020/download

273 new cases and 19 deaths.

Slight uptick in positivity rate. Nothing to be alarmed with yet but something to keep an eye on.

Uptick in new cases, too. We've had a few days over 200 in the past week when we went weeks with it under. It didn't worry me much until our positivity rate went up today.

Definitely a bit concerning. People are loosening up too much.

Old 07-26-2020, 04:05 PM

2,352 posts, read 1,779,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Definitely a bit concerning. People are loosening up too much.
Looks like it's the Cape. The Cape didn't get hit that bad during the initial wave, so...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts