Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2020, 08:28 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
Our doctors have been telling us a non-COVID virus is going around because they've had many patients coming in with symptoms and testing negative for strep, flu, and COVID.

In my mind, I have to prepare myself for the idea that at some point this winter, someone in the family will get sick from a normal, run-of-the-mill cold. It's just a numbers thing and the fact that there are germs everywhere. It will probably be stressful, and i'm assuming it likely means if anyone gets a sniffle or fever they will be staying home from school/work for a few days, where before they would just take some meds and go in (and thus spreading germs).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2020, 08:32 AM

17,738 posts, read 9,187,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
The way I see it, the course of treatment given to me will not change whether it's a simple cold or Covid, so it makes no difference knowing which it is.
The course of treatment won't change but you could be spreading it if it's COVID. It sounds like you don't care.

Old 09-03-2020, 08:33 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,677 times
Yeah kids are definitely going to get sick again when school starts up. They haven’t been in school since March.

Old 09-03-2020, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
Primary care doctors who embrace the role of gate keeper are beyond frustrating.
And it's also why you shouldn't trust the stats.

Old 09-03-2020, 08:35 AM

779 posts, read 877,194 times
Quote:
There's something going around. I have it too (cough, malaise, sore throat, runny nose).

I don't see any reason to jump to thinking it's Covid yet, though. The way I see it, the course of treatment given to me will not change whether it's a simple cold or Covid, so it makes no difference knowing which it is.
I absolutely do not think we have COVID. I think we have a run-of-the-mill head cold. But it's stressful times and even if there is a .5% chance we could have it, I'd like to know. If I have a negative test result, I would feel more comfortable running out to the store or even taking the dog for a walk. Right now, even with a very low chance of having it, I don't want to leave the house.

Old 09-03-2020, 08:40 AM

12,426 posts, read 9,519,802 times
Quote:
There's something going around. I have it too (cough, malaise, sore throat, runny nose).

I don't see any reason to jump to thinking it's Covid yet, though. The way I see it, the course of treatment given to me will not change whether it's a simple cold or Covid, so it makes no difference knowing which it is.
If you really have Covid-19, and are trending negative, experienced hospital clinicians might treat you with any of the following to head off the worst:
- Remdesivir (antiviral)
- Corticosteroids (inflammation suppressants)
- Anticoagulants (clotting suppressants)

Old 09-03-2020, 08:41 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
The course of treatment won't change but you could be spreading it if it's COVID. It sounds like you don't care.
Actually,

There has been some debate over whether the use of Ibuprofen can make the symptoms of Covid worse. It's still being debated, so everyone can do their own research and draw their own conclusions.

Old 09-03-2020, 09:20 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,677 times
A lot of people have allergies this time of year too.

Old 09-03-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Actually,

There has been some debate over whether the use of Ibuprofen can make the symptoms of Covid worse. It's still being debated, so everyone can do their own research and draw their own conclusions.
Naproxen too, I think. Probably best to stick with Tylenol (acetaminophen) just in case.

Old 09-03-2020, 11:17 AM

779 posts, read 877,194 times
The doctor who is doing my daughter's rapid test felt very strongly that the entire region was going to be paralyzed in a few weeks because we "do not have the capacity to test every child who has the sniffles." He said with schools starting, these head colds will be super common and every test site will be completely clogged with school-aged kids needing negative COVID results to return to school.

I don't think he's wrong--I'm pretty sure we need a negative result to return to camp, so it's basically the same thing. He said they already fill up all testing appts. as soon as they're open, so it's just going to get worse. I think we have all seen this coming for months now: fall arrives with its usual viruses. But I was hoping we'd be in a better place with testing centers so that testing would be quick, efficient, and cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts