Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2020, 08:30 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times

Advertisements

Why is it necessary to blame any one? I don't understand why there are multiple pages on this? The way global traffic works, it was only a matter of time before a virus from one part of the world spreads to the other part. People travel. Wuhan is a Business hub for several international corporations. GM has a factory there, and i'm sure VP's and engineers travel between there and the US all the time.

Back before this all went down, if I had gone out to eat at my favorite Sichuan restaurant in Burlington, I would venture to guess that the people most likely to have recently returned from China was not the staff, but the middle-management business type gents sitting down for a meal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2020, 08:36 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,677 times
This is a major thing. I think it’s important to note where this originated, how it happened, how it spread and take measures to ensure it doesn’t happen again. Obviously China has had issues with overcrowding for a while but they need to take a look at their habits right down to what the eat and their hygiene practices. This isn’t the first virus that started there.

Old 03-27-2020, 08:44 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,438,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
This is a major thing. I think it’s important to note where this originated, how it happened, how it spread and take measures to ensure it doesn’t happen again. Obviously China has had issues with overcrowding for a while but they need to take a look at their habits right down to what the eat and their hygiene practices. This isn’t the first virus that started there.

Most Americans eat unclean animals like pork, and that started a virus here. Obviously we have issues and need to take a look at our habits, right down to what we eat and our hygiene practices.

See how ridiculous that is?

We let this run for months before doing anything and even what we've done up until today, March 27, is inadequate. We can't throw stones when we're living in a house made of milometer thick glass that's coming crashing down as we speak.

Old 03-27-2020, 10:33 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,283,966 times
Apparently the Mayor of Northampton has tested positive for the virus.

Old 03-27-2020, 11:11 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Why is it necessary to blame any one? I don't understand why there are multiple pages on this? The way global traffic works, it was only a matter of time before a virus from one part of the world spreads to the other part. People travel. Wuhan is a Business hub for several international corporations. GM has a factory there, and i'm sure VP's and engineers travel between there and the US all the time.

Back before this all went down, if I had gone out to eat at my favorite Sichuan restaurant in Burlington, I would venture to guess that the people most likely to have recently returned from China was not the staff, but the middle-management business type gents sitting down for a meal.
This. The only thing which should be scrutinized is the response of government and private sector leading up to and during the pandemic.

Posters on this board should really ask themselves: if the virus had originated here, like the 1918 swine flu, would our national leadership have done any better with containment? Given the admins initial response, I think not. While my international employer was emailing critical status of our Chinese plants/offices and restricting international travel, Kudlow and crew were busy gaslighting America on various news outlets - quite pathetic behavior usually reserved for authoritarian regimes.

Last edited by Shrewsburried; 03-27-2020 at 11:32 AM..

Old 03-27-2020, 11:31 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
This. The only thing which should be scrutinized is the response of government and private sector leading up to and during the pandemic.

Posters on this board should really ask themselves: if the virus had originated here, like the 1918 swine flu, would our national leadership done any better with containment? Given the admins initial response, I think not. While my international employer was emailing critical status of our Chinese plants/offices and restricting international travel, Kudlow and crew were busy gaslighting America on various news outlets - quite pathetic behavior usually reserved for authoritarian regimes.

True. And if it originated in Kansas (one hypothesis from the 1918 "Spanish flu"), would people be saying those people in Kansas need to change what they eat or their hygiene. No way. Not people here. (That said, I'm not pro bush meat trade at all, but for conservation reasons... but where those limits are, are largely cultural. We as a country put wild meat into the food supply in places (though quite limited scenarios compared to a century ago, thankfully)).

Old 03-27-2020, 11:40 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,677 times
Well it didn’t originate in Kansas. It came from China.

Old 03-27-2020, 11:41 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,691 times
Quote:
Well it didn’t originate in Kansas. It came from China.
Woosh!

Old 03-27-2020, 11:43 AM

23,560 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Who could have predicted this turning into a SJW trying to one-UP each other session.

Old 03-27-2020, 11:44 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,004 times
Quote:
I think the important lesson to learn is that novel diseases usually jump from wild animals to humans, so the more leeway we give wild animals, the less likely we are to catch new diseases. Likely true for this disease, or ebola, or even our own local contribution, Lyme disease.

When you start saying things like "look at those other people, they are unclean" it's hard not to think racism, or more precisely, cultural superiority. Cleanliness is as much cultural as it is related to things being free from dirt or bacteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts