Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2020, 07:16 AM

17,738 posts, read 9,187,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
InstaCart workers are going on strike Monday. They say they're risking their lives and want $5 extra for each order.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Do they really think people will actually pay that?
It would be from Instacart. And I don't think it would get passed along to the customers. InstaCart already has obscene markups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2020, 07:29 AM

2,352 posts, read 1,779,566 times
Quote:
It would be from Instacart. And I don't think it would get passed along to the customers. InstaCart already has obscene markups.
I will admit I've never used any of those delivery services. If the markup is that much that $5 is NBD I would just brave the hordes.

Old 03-28-2020, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
$5 more? I certainly would if I can get a time slot.
Mike, try Whole Foods via Amazon Prime. As forum member porterhouse pointed out, leave the time slot page open and refresh it every so often. It has worked for me. A time slot will open up.

I'd also recommend adding a lot of stuff to your cart. More than you probably want...because when a time slot eventually becomes available, you have to grab it and go directly to checkout and place the order. Product availability very likely will have changed and a bunch of items will get yanked from your cart. There's no opportunity to add more stuff; the time slot will be gone if you try to.

Edited to add: And unlike some other grocery delivery services, you can't make any changes after you place the order. The only option available is to cancel the entire order.

Last edited by redplum33; 03-28-2020 at 08:09 AM..

Old 03-28-2020, 07:54 AM

3,973 posts, read 5,770,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
There isn't enough personal protective equipment to go around for healthcare workers, and there aren't enough ventilators to go around for patients. And the reality is, this epidemic is still accelerating in the US, so we can expect both of those situations to grow worse over the coming week.

Word has it that our president ordered the Federal Government to horde ventilators and medical supplies so that he can dispense them to friends, allies, and governors who are willing to kiss his feet. Then to governors who got on his bad side, they get nothing until they change their ways.

https://kvia.com/your-voice-your-vot...al-government/

https://www.boston.com/news/politics...dical-supplies

https://www.businessinsider.com/coro...upplies-2020-3

Whether it is true or not, I find it loathsome for any politician to play politics right now during such an emergency. It shows that we're no different than the dictatorships in other parts of the world that Americans have so long condemned, where you have to be an admirer or supporter of the dictator to get anything. Granted some governors too probably want to horde supplies and the fact that there simply aren't enough supplies and equipment being manufactured around the clock to meet demand, the combination of supply shortage, high demand, and political partisan warfare is going to worsen this situation even more in many places.

Old 03-28-2020, 08:19 AM

Quote:
I will admit I've never used any of those delivery services. If the markup is that much that $5 is NBD I would just brave the hordes.
The markups vary depending on the grocery delivery service. From what I've seen, InstaCart has the highest markups. Peapod is next. Whole Foods through Amazon Prime doesn't markup at all. I don't think Walmart Grocery does either.

But, yeah, the markups can be pretty high. Generally speaking, a $100 order (not including the tip) placed through InstaCart or Peapod would probably cost $70 to $75 if you went to the store.

Old 03-28-2020, 10:42 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
It is kind of gross but I’ve never heard that people who have dogs are more likely to get sick.
I've seen studies that it's actually the opposite. Children who grow up in houses with dogs and other animals have more robust immune systems as the pets slowly introduce them to natural elements in this day and age of antibacterial everything. The legitimate concern with dogs is them jumping up on your bed and introducing a deer tick. As much as I hate putting pesticides on my dog, you've got to do it, even in the winter now.

Quote:
Do they really think people will actually pay that?
Normally I am very aware of managing fees and tips from delivery services. However I have been tipping grocery delivery people generously. They are putting them selves at risk so I don't have to endure crowds at the stores. I am more than happy to pay a bit more.

Quote:
when a time slot eventually becomes available, you have to grab it and go directly to checkout and place the order
^^ This. If you go back to add another item or 2, the delivery window will likely be gone. Via PrimeNow we have gotten a delivery window they same day we wanted one every time. It is also important to realize there are 2 different fulfillment options via PrimeNow, via Whole Foods and Amazon. They often ofter the same things, but I have had much better luck with delivery windows from Whole Foods.

We have also used Instacart a few times. Instacart windows tend to be 5+ days out currently. However you can select first available. For instance I placed a Costco order on Tuesday and the next window was for Sunday (3/9). By selecting First Available I got notification on Thursday that my order was being shopped and it arrived that evening. With Instacart you can add items and edit the cart up until the time it is being shopped. You can just keep adding to a running grocery list. Our Costco order via Instacart was pretty much exactly what we ordered. However, a Wegmans order had many more substitutions and items unavailable than a Whole Foods order via PrimeNow. Once that order was being shopped it was like a video game approving or rejecting suggested substitutions.

It take a bit of work, but I have no complaints about being able to get everything we need via grocery delivery services. Also I have found the PrimeNow packaging to be sealed bags and generally better packed than Instacart. Happy to answer DMs if anyone needs assistance with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Word has it that our president ordered the Federal Government to horde ventilators and medical supplies so that he can dispense them to friends, allies, and governors who are willing to kiss his feet.
Oh, come on. This is not what those links say. Posting stuff like this is plain irresponsible.

Old 03-28-2020, 01:41 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post

Oh, come on. This is not what those links say. Posting stuff like this is plain irresponsible.
Indeed. A good number of the outbids likely went to FEMA, which means those resources are likely to to come to MA if and when the situation worsens. FEMA has committed thousands of ventilators to NY at the time of me typing this.

However, this is not me forgiving the president for his incompetence elsewhere (i.e., calling it a hoax when China, northern Italy, and Iran were clearly suffering deeply from the virus).

Old 03-28-2020, 02:11 PM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
However, this is not me forgiving the president for his incompetence elsewhere (i.e., calling it a hoax when China, northern Italy, and Iran were clearly suffering deeply from the virus).
That has been debunked, he never said that. But keep listening to frauds like AOC and her cohorts at CNN, whatever...

Old 03-28-2020, 02:11 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,770,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
Well I'm sorry if I ruffled anyone's feathers but the articles and the comments are there for everyone's interpretation.

Anyways, perhaps I should have posted my message on the political forum instead so I shall say no more about it

Old 03-28-2020, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Thank you. Calling this is "Chinese virus" reminds me of how HIV was called the "gay men's disease" for so many years at the beginning.
This is also not accurate. This was explained several hundred posts ago.

A high level person in the Chinese government posted a tweet suggesting that coronavirus originated in the US, and that the US military brought it to China. That's when Trump started referring to it as the "Chinese virus" - to make it clear that the rumor was wrong and that it originated in China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts