Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2020, 03:48 AM

636 posts, read 705,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Yes, of course the health care workers are now sick because a small fraction of them went to a club over a month ago and not because 100% of those health care workers work every day in a high risk environment surrounded by sick people. Yup. Makes perfect sense that it was the clubs. Brilliance. Thank you.
I worked as a bouncer at 2 Boston nightclubs decades ago.
Boston clubs patrons are no longer called yuppies, but the demographics are the same:
Young urban Boston professionals that work in the city or metro Boston area by day; financial workers, healthcare workers,tourists and an assortment of stragglers from the Boston towns, make up the mobs of people who go to the Boston clubs even in 2020

And true, 'a very,very,very small fraction of the overall total numbers of Boston/Boston area healthcare workers went to a club over a month ago' , however, a good portion of healthcare workers, based on my Boston club experience, made up a part of the mobs of people who blatantly disregarded social gathering by going to the Boston nightclubs a month ago. Other non healthcare workers patrons to the Boston clubs s month ago, also disregarded social gatherings.

2 weeks afterwards, Boston and Mass is embroiled in a coronavirus crisis.
Who knows how many of those Boston clubs goers got the Virus and went on to exponentially pass it on to others.

Last edited by wror; 04-22-2020 at 04:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2020, 04:34 AM

2,352 posts, read 1,779,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
Ya so we shut down buisness so people would not get sick only to see people who are forced not to work waiting in line for food that are not even standing 12 inches away from each other let alone 6 feet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wj0nhE_ByI0

That is essentially a parade . This is Pretty Smart if you ask me. Those people are waiting in line at least 2 hours close to everyone. They are about 10 inches away from each other if that. This is prolonged exposure too which matters too versus saying hi to someone and walking away.

How many infected at this event?
Have to think most of Chelsea already has it.

Old 04-22-2020, 05:46 AM

4,627 posts, read 4,896,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
I am 40 and consider myself a young gen x born in 1979. Then some say but people our age where introduced to the internet and america online when we where still kids. where people slightly older then us did not get introduced to the internet until they became a adult so they could view the world differently. People our age where the first generation to use the internet before adulthood. It was a very basic form of the internet but still the internet. The first time i saw the internet and search engines I knew this invention was as big as the televison if not bigger. It blew my mind. Millenials don't know what it was like before the internet.
IMHO Pew sets the standard. Makes sense too, as they use it for research on cohorts.

A good way to look at it:
Boomers remember Kennedy's assassination, although some weren't even born yet.
Gen X remembers the Challenger
Millenials remember 9/11
Youngest? Today? I don't know yet.

Pew goes with 46-65, 66-80, 81-96, 96-?. When Pew put out a press release closing Millenials at 96, they arbitrarily used 2012 to end the next generation to make it the same duration as Gen X and Millenials.

Old 04-22-2020, 06:13 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Yesterday's dashboard.

https://www.mass.gov/doc/covid-19-da...-2020/download

Interesting to note that over 50% of the deaths are from folks living in long-term care facilities. 97% of all had some sort of underlying condition.

MA also has a 9% hospitalization rate of known cases. Average age is 68

One other thing to note. Two Massachusetts counties are in the top 20 in the country for confirmed cases. Middlesex #18, Suffolk #20, and Essex county is 28. There are just over 3100 counties total in the US.

Old 04-22-2020, 07:23 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Yesterday's dashboard.

https://www.mass.gov/doc/covid-19-da...-2020/download

Interesting to note that over 50% of the deaths are from folks living in long-term care facilities. 97% of all had some sort of underlying condition.

MA also has a 9% hospitalization rate of known cases. Average age is 68

One other thing to note. Two Massachusetts counties are in the top 20 in the country for confirmed cases. Middlesex #18, Suffolk #20, and Essex county is 28. There are just over 3100 counties total in the US.
I know you’re aware of this, so I post this as a reminder for other posters/readers.

Self isolation is really focused on reducing the hospitalization rate. Deaths are inevitable, particularly in high risk populations, but what policy makers are looking to avoid is a scenario where lower risk 50 to 60 somethings begin to inundate the ED (ER) spreading resources thin. So far, we’ve more or less avoided this (I.e., all patients have been receiving adequate critical care).

Old 04-22-2020, 09:01 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wror View Post
I worked as a bouncer at 2 Boston nightclubs decades ago.
Boston clubs patrons are no longer called yuppies, but the demographics are the same:
Young urban Boston professionals that work in the city or metro Boston area by day; financial workers, healthcare workers,tourists and an assortment of stragglers from the Boston towns, make up the mobs of people who go to the Boston clubs even in 2020

And true, 'a very,very,very small fraction of the overall total numbers of Boston/Boston area healthcare workers went to a club over a month ago' , however, a good portion of healthcare workers, based on my Boston club experience, made up a part of the mobs of people who blatantly disregarded social gathering by going to the Boston nightclubs a month ago. Other non healthcare workers patrons to the Boston clubs s month ago, also disregarded social gatherings.

2 weeks afterwards, Boston and Mass is embroiled in a coronavirus crisis.
Who knows how many of those Boston clubs goers got the Virus and went on to exponentially pass it on to others.

Do you really think your experience "decades" ago reflects what doctors knowing what was coming down the pike did 6 weeks ago? I'm a middle of the road Millennial (early 30s) with plenty of doctors, nurses, physician's assistants, and social workers in my social circle from college. They were advocating for a lock down in early March and were certainly not the people who saw the upcoming shut down as an opportunity for a last hurrah.

Doctors and nurses are getting sick because they're spending 12 hour shifts for weeks on end in places with high viral load and STILL not enough PPE.

Since you hold our medical staff in such poor regard, I certainly hope you will abstain from seeking their services in the near future.

Old 04-22-2020, 09:15 AM

12,863 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
I know you’re aware of this, so I post this as a reminder for other posters/readers.

Self isolation is really focused on reducing the hospitalization rate. Deaths are inevitable, particularly in high risk populations, but what policy makers are looking to avoid is a scenario where lower risk 50 to 60 somethings begin to inundate the ED (ER) spreading resources thin. So far, we’ve more or less avoided this (I.e., all patients have been receiving adequate critical care).
Exactly, and efforts in the coming months (years), will be aimed at ensuring hospitalizations remain manageable. While deaths are inevitable, the death rate will skyrocket when hospitals can't keep the pace during each spike in cases.

Old 04-22-2020, 09:42 AM

7,240 posts, read 4,548,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Exactly, and efforts in the coming months (years), will be aimed at ensuring hospitalizations remain manageable. While deaths are inevitable, the death rate will skyrocket when hospitals can't keep the pace during each spike in cases.
I actually think with the populations ability to get the proper masks, promising drugs, growing immunity, and smarter management of hot spots.. we are likely to be able to avoid hospital issues.

This is also why were are lifting restrictions in the USA and going back to work, because the goal of social distancing -- keeping hospitals clear, has been achieved.

Old 04-22-2020, 09:44 AM

23,561 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post

I really don't know what's so hard about this to understand for so many.

Old 04-22-2020, 09:54 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I really don't know what's so hard about this to understand for so many.
I hate to say this, but average intelligence may be a factor? I wish I remembered the source & statistic, but there was an astounding % of the population that (apparently) cannot understand a simple x-y plot. When you talk about exponential spread, curves, and flattening them, you may be talking PhD level for a lot of folks (hate to say it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts