Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2023, 12:09 PM

959 posts, read 539,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
and you're spending a lot of time talking about it all on here.
Do you have a mirror nearby?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2023, 12:35 PM

16,415 posts, read 8,215,049 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl View Post
Do you have a mirror nearby?
I do.

Old 08-21-2023, 03:31 PM

959 posts, read 539,979 times
Quote:
I do.
Nice. So you can see this person there.

Quote:
and you're spending a lot of time talking about it all on here.

Old 08-21-2023, 03:35 PM

17,748 posts, read 9,202,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
They might be immunocompromised but in all reality what are the chances an immunocompromised person gets infected with Covid while taking a walk in the great outdoors because they have no mask on?
It's not zero. While the risk is greatly reduced outdoors, you can definitely get covid outdoors.

msRB was on a trail and other people were obviously around. Some of those trails are pretty narrow.

If you knew a person had covid, and they were sitting on a park bench, would you go sit on the park bench with them? Or walk anywhere even close to them?

Old 08-21-2023, 03:38 PM

Quote:
That's your opinion redplum. Always here to argue eh?

I am entitled to form my own opinion about masks at this point. It's stupid and pointless to wear one outside.
It's one thing to give your opinion, but you've been presenting your opinion as fact and also spreading misinformation.

Old 08-21-2023, 04:22 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,928,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
It's not zero. While the risk is greatly reduced outdoors, you can definitely get covid outdoors.

msRB was on a trail and other people were obviously around. Some of those trails are pretty narrow.

If you knew a person had covid, and they were sitting on a park bench, would you go sit on the park bench with them? Or walk anywhere even close to them?
Zero risk is a near-useless concept. The risk of being struck and killed by a meteor while outside isn't zero, either. It's just not large enough to warrant spending your entire life in an underground bunker.

The question is: is the cost of mitigation less than the cost of the event it is preventing? If you aren't going to put numbers on the actual risk you're basically saying "cause I said so" with flowery language.

Old 08-21-2023, 04:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Zero risk is a near-useless concept. The risk of being struck and killed by a meteor while outside isn't zero, either. It's just not large enough to warrant spending your entire life in an underground bunker.

The question is: is the cost of mitigation less than the cost of the event it is preventing? If you aren't going to put numbers on the actual risk you're basically saying "cause I said so" with flowery language.

Poor analogy. As you are well aware, there's no way to put numbers on the actual risk. That doesn't mean we should just dismiss it as you seem to be doing.

This is exactly why I presented the park bench scenario. Nobody, including msRB, is going to go sit on the park bench.

Old 08-21-2023, 04:44 PM

3,627 posts, read 1,851,774 times
Quote:

No, but that's the thing, unless you're with someone you know has covid you have no way of knowing anywhere you are, indoors or out, if there are infected people around and are they the ones wearing masks or not? It's kind of like the lesser of two evils. I'd be fine going sans mask if I was immunocompromised outdoors for a walk, but I obviously wouldn't choose trails or outdoor areas that were narrow or that would put me in scenarios where I could be 'forced' to be extra close passing by potentially infected folks.

Old 08-21-2023, 04:53 PM

16,415 posts, read 8,215,049 times
The trails were not narrow either...but wow we're really grasping at straws here.

how did we survive before most people started wearing masks before 2020? You could have walked by someone anywhere who had the flu, TB, norovirus, a cold, not to mention things like ecoli that you could get from eating at any restaurant or take out place.

If you're that afraid of getting covid on a trail that you wear a mask how do you really live life? You could get many diseases from touching pretty much anything.

Old 08-21-2023, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
I'd be fine going sans mask if I was immunocompromised outdoors for a walk, but I obviously wouldn't choose trails or outdoor areas that were narrow or that would put me in scenarios where I could be 'forced' to be extra close passing by potentially infected folks.
Agree 100%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts