Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2020, 03:59 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,544,749 times

Advertisements

Has anyone asked the governor's office?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2020, 06:44 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
Outbreaks in the York County Jail and a rehab center trace directly to the wedding in Millinocket. The Sanford FD outbreak is probably also implicated, but they are hesitant to implicate the preacher that performed the ceremony.

Although regrettable, this incident is a major lesson in how asymptomatic individuals are superspreaders.

#ShameAndShun

Old 08-28-2020, 06:13 PM

The 'quit bickering' post disappeared? OK, I was contemplating a response, but now it's not applicable. Everyone here seems to be quite well behaved.

Old 08-28-2020, 06:41 PM

23,570 posts, read 18,722,077 times
So I guess Big Moose Inn now got their license suspended? Now at eighty-something cases...

Old 08-28-2020, 08:32 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,544,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
So I guess Big Moose Inn now got their license suspended? Now at eighty-something cases...
They already have their license back. One hundred twenty-three cases and growing.

Old 09-02-2020, 02:45 PM

24 posts, read 14,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
They already have their license back. One hundred twenty-three cases and growing.

As of September 2nd there are now 143 cases linked to that wedding...

And this is only in Maine - if there were out of state guests, they could be infecting people where they live.

What a mess.

Old 09-03-2020, 07:34 AM

174 posts, read 170,273 times
I hate to say it but the Millinocket wedding is a good case study...Maine had so few cases to begin with, that this provides a really clear picture of how this virus spreads. If it were a state where it had already spread pretty much throughout, I would imagine it gets difficult to know exactly where it comes from?

Old 09-03-2020, 09:24 AM

24 posts, read 14,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMoves View Post
I hate to say it but the Millinocket wedding is a good case study...Maine had so few cases to begin with, that this provides a really clear picture of how this virus spreads. If it were a state where it had already spread pretty much throughout, I would imagine it gets difficult to know exactly where it comes from?

Yes, I have been thinking the same thing. It's a very good (but unfortunate) example of this virus. What's really sad is that someone died who wasn't even at the wedding. Just had close contact to someone who was there.

Old 09-03-2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMoves View Post
Yes, it certainly is. One 'sick' at the wedding, and not aware of it, infects multiple other attendees, one of whom goes on to infects multiple inmates and staff at the jail, and staff bring the infection to their families. Another infects family, who infects more family, one of whom goes on to infect multiple staff and patients at a rehab center.

It can spread quickly, without people being aware (at least initially) that they are spreading it. Sure, a large percentage of people will recover and probably(?) not suffer permanent effects, but a not insignificant number of subsequent infections will eventually strike people who *will* suffer permanent injury, some will require expensive critical care, and some will never recover.

I was reading a recent account of a person who, after being taken off the ventilator, remained in a coma for weeks. Hospital staff was counseling family about removing feeding tube and oxygen support- in other words, asking them to make a decision about letting him die. Fortunately for him the consent was not given, and he eventually regained consciousness. How much did it cost to keep him going? Who is going to pay? How many people have made the decision to let others die, when it is possible that they might have lived if given just a little more time?

What really bothers me, is that much of this can be avoided by the simple expedient of *everyone* wearing masks and maintaining distance. Yes, I know it sucks, but the alternative can be much, much worse.

My job started doing temperature checks back in March, but I already knew that there was asymptomatic spread and, as the fact that there were temperature checks at the wedding reception shows, they are worse than useless- all they do is provide a false sense of security. I left my job at the end of March, the day one of the young kids breathed in my face from inches away. They want me back, but I can't take the risk- I'm 60, I have COPD, HBP, and a hole between the left and right side of my heart (congenital birth defect of which I was unaware until they were running tests after a case of nicotine poisoning), there is a very good chance that I would end up in critical care and possibly not survive.

Clearly, not enough people are taking this as seriously as it should be taken. I don't want to be among the numbers that they put up on the screen every day. But, I can only go just so long without working- the bank still wants the mortgage money and we still need to eat and pay the other bills. My hoard of cash won't last forever.

Old 09-03-2020, 12:18 PM

23,570 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Yes, it certainly is. One 'sick' at the wedding, and not aware of it, infects multiple other attendees, one of whom goes on to infects multiple inmates and staff at the jail, and staff bring the infection to their families. Another infects family, who infects more family, one of whom goes on to infect multiple staff and patients at a rehab center.

It can spread quickly, without people being aware (at least initially) that they are spreading it. Sure, a large percentage of people will recover and probably(?) not suffer permanent effects, but a not insignificant number of subsequent infections will eventually strike people who *will* suffer permanent injury, some will require expensive critical care, and some will never recover.

I was reading a recent account of a person who, after being taken off the ventilator, remained in a coma for weeks. Hospital staff was counseling family about removing feeding tube and oxygen support- in other words, asking them to make a decision about letting him die. Fortunately for him the consent was not given, and he eventually regained consciousness. How much did it cost to keep him going? Who is going to pay? How many people have made the decision to let others die, when it is possible that they might have lived if given just a little more time?

What really bothers me, is that much of this can be avoided by the simple expedient of *everyone* wearing masks and maintaining distance. Yes, I know it sucks, but the alternative can be much, much worse.

My job started doing temperature checks back in March, but I already knew that there was asymptomatic spread and, as the fact that there were temperature checks at the wedding reception shows, they are worse than useless- all they do is provide a false sense of security. I left my job at the end of March, the day one of the young kids breathed in my face from inches away. They want me back, but I can't take the risk- I'm 60, I have COPD, HBP, and a hole between the left and right side of my heart (congenital birth defect of which I was unaware until they were running tests after a case of nicotine poisoning), there is a very good chance that I would end up in critical care and possibly not survive.

Clearly, not enough people are taking this as seriously as it should be taken. I don't want to be among the numbers that they put up on the screen every day. But, I can only go just so long without working- the bank still wants the mortgage money and we still need to eat and pay the other bills. My hoard of cash won't last forever.
I wonder how many people are now wishing they took these (unpopular) measures sooner and properly? The loss to businesses, economy and public health would have been significantly less long term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine