Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2020, 06:34 PM

12,545 posts, read 9,633,770 times

Advertisements

So here is a plot from the CDC, which is updated weekly. The chart goes back to January, 2017.

The heights of the blue bars are total deaths in the USA per week - by all causes. That means the heights of these bars is unrelated to the cause attributed - because everything is counted, it's just the raw count of all deaths that week.

The gold curve is the 95% confidence limit (an upper statistical limit) on what would be considered normal numbers of deaths. Notice that actual deaths seldom exceed this boundary. When they do, it's a statistical anomaly - something unusual is going on. There are two regions where actual deaths exceed the upper boundary of expected deaths:

1. The week ending Dec 23, 2017 to the week ending Jan 27, 2018 - we had an unusually rough flu season that year, and it was estimated there were about 60,000 deaths from influenza

2. The week ending Mar 28, 2020 all the way until now - this just happens to be the period from when Covid-19 began raging in the US (modulo the 2-week induction period), until now. And what's the area under the curve of excess deaths? Roughly 210,000 deaths. So some unusual new phenomenon, that became significant by late March when Covid-19 cases were raging and hospitals were getting overwhelmed with cases, and that continues until today, is killing an unusual number of people in the USA. Hmmm, I wonder what that could be?

You can play with the live plot here:
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/c...ess_deaths.htm

Attached Thumbnails
Maine Covid 19 Thread-cdc-excess-deaths-oct-9-2020.jpg  

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 10-09-2020 at 06:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2020, 06:19 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,865,639 times
That' a very fancy chart you got there, very nice. But I'll just wait till the hard numbers are out after the end of the year thank you.

Old 10-12-2020, 03:15 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,094,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Due to hospitals receiving an X amount of funding for each "COVID patient", supposedly some deaths are being recorded as such in some places if the patient tests positive for COVID regardless of why they were in there in the first place. I will tell you that I was in the ER recently, had no COVID related symptoms and was therefore never tested for COVID. I would imagine they are only testing people who are exhibiting those symptoms or who have a known exposure.
I was also in the ER recently, *with* Covid symptoms, including fever, high heart rate, sky-high BP and low oxygen level. I was whisked into a negative pressure isolation room within minutes. They drew multiple vials of blood from both arms, jammed a swab up my nose for a flu test, etc. It turned out that I was extremely dehydrated, and after a different sample they concluded that it was most likely a UTI.

They pumped me with several bags of fluids and a bag of antibiotic, plus fever reducer and a shot of pain-killer. After some hours they got me stabilized, BP back down to normal range (actually, a little low) and I was feeling a lot better. They asked me if I wanted a Covid test too and I declined, they were actually not recommending it, just asking as a courtesy in case I wasn't satisfied with their diagnosis. After about 8 hours they let me go, with a script for a heavy-duty oral antibiotic (and a warning not to let myself get so sick again before seeking treatment, because if it had been any worse they wouldn't have been letting me leave).

So, I really have to call into question any rumors regarding some sort of conspiracy to extract extra funding for Covid patients. There is just so much crap from idiots floating around on the internet that it is hard for people to know what is true and what is not. Some people want to see conspiracies everywhere and will promote all kinds of wild stories. People of average intelligence aren't sure just what to believe, and others will believe any kind of bovine fecalness you throw at them.

We pay experts to tell us the truth, and they have been far more accurate than the politicians who get elected based on whose lies are more popular.

Old 10-12-2020, 03:24 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,094,534 times
Here's a nice little map and set of graphs that illustrate the past and current conditions:

https://covidestim.org/

Pay attention to the dramatic rises in more than half the states, and then watch the hospitalization and death rates over the next month or two.

Old 10-12-2020, 05:12 PM

37,496 posts, read 61,484,089 times
According to Nirav Shah [Maine's CDC guy] the state counts Covid-19 'deaths' as those people who died with Covid-19, and are NOT those people who die from Covid-19.

https://www.wabi.tv/content/news/Hea...570188451.html

If you die in a motor vehicle accident and had no symptoms and the medical examiner finds the virus present in his autopsy you will be counted as a Covid-19 death.

I just wanted to remind folks this is how our state says they are doing it.

Old 10-12-2020, 05:33 PM

23,692 posts, read 18,806,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
According to Nirav Shah [Maine's CDC guy] the state counts Covid-19 'deaths' as those people who died with Covid-19, and are NOT those people who die from Covid-19.

https://www.wabi.tv/content/news/Hea...570188451.html

If you die in a motor vehicle accident and had no symptoms and the medical examiner finds the virus present in his autopsy you will be counted as a Covid-19 death.

I just wanted to remind folks this is how our state says they are doing it.
Are they COVID testing every single death???

Old 10-13-2020, 10:24 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,709,803 times
Depends on where they were treated or where it ws discovered. Hospitals get around $30,000 as a bonus if they discover that a corpse tests positive for the Chinese virus. That's a powerful incentive. Like it or not, that's the system. As veveral people have pointed out, every person who touched a gas pump handle or door know in a high traffic area can show a positive test. This person is not sick, but it is rcorded as a "case". The medical community knows the economics of this very well. Most of our nws media knows this, but they enjoy sensationalizing the case numbers because it improves ratings and increases advertising revenue for this media source.

By now, most people who follow the news media know that swabs produced in China have a 40% false positive rate.

Old 10-13-2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
As veveral people have pointed out, every person who touched a gas pump handle or door know in a high traffic area can show a positive test. This person is not sick, but it is rcorded as a "case".
Source???

Old 10-14-2020, 04:14 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,709,803 times
Post #356, this thread.

Old 10-14-2020, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Post #356, this thread.
I re-read both the post and article attached, and still not seeing anything about people testing positive due to touching a gas pump or door handle. That makes zero sense. They are not swabbing your skin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine