Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2020, 07:56 AM

428 posts, read 554,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
The article states that the visitors arrived in Maine before receiving test results. This is not in compliance with the orders of our Dear Leader. EO-57 states that people from other states who travel to Maine must RECEIVE a recent negative COVID test or quarantine 14 days upon arrival. What is the point of even taking the test if you are not going to use the results as a basis for your decision to travel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2020, 09:40 AM

901 posts, read 686,540 times
I think you are supposed to quarantine. There is no way to get a test result and then wait at home for the results and still have the test result be within 72 hours. That is the reason we didn't get tested (which we can't here anyway, and the results take a week) and travel to Maine. It's a three day drive for us.

All you Mainers, any idea when this quarantine will be lifted? I had thought by July 1, then by August 1--we're still trying to travel to see my family. It's disheartening, although the assisted living won't let us in the building, so that's out.

I know many have disregarded the quarantine and just come anyway, but we're not comfortable with that, and my kids would feel it was a slap in the face; they've worked so hard to keep the grandchildren safe.

Old 08-03-2020, 12:08 PM

You'll have to ask Dear Leader when the quarantine will be lifted. We Mainers have little say in such matters either as citizens or through our elected representatives. We are not allowed in the building to see my mother-in-law in her nursing home. Visits are conducted outdoors with masks 6 feet apart with a plexiglass shield. The visits are conducted once a week and limited to 2 visitors. They book up fast. My sister-in-law in Massachusetts was approved for such a visit, pending the results of her Coronavirus test.

Old 08-03-2020, 12:11 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,289,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin5098 View Post
What is the point of even taking the test if you are not going to use the results as a basis for your decision to travel?
Yup. Perfect example of behaving irresponsibly.

I understand why people get mad at the constant interference of the Nanny State. I get it. But stuff like this just proves that a whole lot of people need a Nanny. If you're gonna complain about government interfering in our lives, stop requiring the interference.

Old 08-03-2020, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Yup. Perfect example of behaving irresponsibly.

I understand why people get mad at the constant interference of the Nanny State. I get it. But stuff like this just proves that a whole lot of people need a Nanny. If you're gonna complain about government interfering in our lives, stop requiring the interference.

The travel restrictions were Executive Orders not laws. They were issued without any plans for enforcing them. I would suggest that Chesterton's comment is not relevant to this particular issue as no big laws were broken.

Old 08-03-2020, 12:44 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,289,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin5098 View Post
The travel restrictions were Executive Orders not laws.
So far.

If the pandemic continues raging and no vaccine is forthcoming, the laws will come along.

Old 08-07-2020, 07:11 AM

65 posts, read 127,551 times
Hi, I'm a NJ resident and planning a short trip to Maine at the end of August. Portland and Acadia.
Any restrictions for booking a hotel or airbnb?

Old 08-09-2020, 08:49 AM

174 posts, read 170,404 times
Hello All - new to the Maine forum. We went under agreement to purchase a 2nd home in this beautiful state about a month before the Covid s*!t hit the fan. We went through with the purchase, not knowing, at the time, how long this would last. We are from Mass, and have been coming to the same area for over 30 years. It's been challenging, but we have tried our hardest to just stay at our place (and a nearby family member's) when here, venturing out only to pick up essentials, always fully masked & distanced--even when we were the only ones doing so. I also have a timeshare nearby and my son will be using it this month. I have told him that he has to get tested before he comes up, & if the result isn't available in time, he will be allowed to occupy the unit or stay with me until it is. I've also been tested several times just out of an abundance of caution. In the event he was positive, we would tell the property managers & he'd have to leave immediately. I don't know another way to deal with the guidelines that are in place.

I caught up on some of this thread, but not all of it. Has there been any discussion on why MA is being singled out from other NE states with more restrictions to visit Maine? I'm pretty certain our numbers are far better than NJ & NY, but maybe I'm not looking at the right ones...seems strange. I know we have some 'hot spots' cropping up very recently, but mostly on Cape Cod.

Old 08-09-2020, 09:17 AM

23,598 posts, read 18,740,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMoves View Post
Hello All - new to the Maine forum. We went under agreement to purchase a 2nd home in this beautiful state about a month before the Covid s*!t hit the fan. We went through with the purchase, not knowing, at the time, how long this would last. We are from Mass, and have been coming to the same area for over 30 years. It's been challenging, but we have tried our hardest to just stay at our place (and a nearby family member's) when here, venturing out only to pick up essentials, always fully masked & distanced--even when we were the only ones doing so. I also have a timeshare nearby and my son will be using it this month. I have told him that he has to get tested before he comes up, & if the result isn't available in time, he will be allowed to occupy the unit or stay with me until it is. I've also been tested several times just out of an abundance of caution. In the event he was positive, we would tell the property managers & he'd have to leave immediately. I don't know another way to deal with the guidelines that are in place.

I caught up on some of this thread, but not all of it. Has there been any discussion on why MA is being singled out from other NE states with more restrictions to visit Maine? I'm pretty certain our numbers are far better than NJ & NY, but maybe I'm not looking at the right ones...seems strange. I know we have some 'hot spots' cropping up very recently, but mostly on Cape Cod.
Both MA and RI are being singled out at the moment, it's due to the percentage of positive tests.

Old 08-09-2020, 09:28 AM

174 posts, read 170,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Both MA and RI are being singled out at the moment, it's due to the percentage of positive tests.
MA has been singled out since the guidelines were put in place I think (not sure about RI). New York & New Jersey both have higher cases per 1M population than MA, and that has been pretty consistent. They very often have more new cases per day also, but not always, and that's definitely a moving target. I'm really not complaining, just find it curious & wondering what the reasoning is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine