Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2020, 06:46 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,477,582 times

Advertisements

Here is an official Maine announcement.

https://www.maine.gov/governor/mills...sitors-support
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2020, 06:54 AM

901 posts, read 688,316 times
Thank you. So when it says "The State will allow adults who obtain and receive a negative COVID-19 test no later than 72 hours prior to arrival forgo the 14-day quarantine upon arrival in Maine."

does that mean, because of the word "later" that we can get a test from two weeks ago and use that?

I am thrown by the "no later than 72 hours" part.

Old 06-09-2020, 07:41 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,247,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoebesmom View Post
Thank you. So when it says "The State will allow adults who obtain and receive a negative COVID-19 test no later than 72 hours prior to arrival forgo the 14-day quarantine upon arrival in Maine."

does that mean, because of the word "later" that we can get a test from two weeks ago and use that?

72 hrs is 3 days. 3 days prior to getting here if you have a test within that 3 days, you're good.

Old 06-09-2020, 08:18 AM

901 posts, read 688,316 times
Thank you!

Old 06-09-2020, 09:31 AM

22 posts, read 15,909 times
As a practical matter, little has changed for Mass. residents.

Old 06-09-2020, 11:41 AM

846 posts, read 1,021,558 times
So I guess I can come home now. I will head to the house and isolate some more. I hope I don't have to have any paperwork to get to my house in Washington county and am allowed free passage "from that bridge in Ki-trey."

Old 06-09-2020, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoebesmom View Post

I interpret this differently than Austin B. As this reads, you have to receive the test [results] at least 72 hours prior to arrival. Which would mean a test from about anytime prior to 3 days ago would be OK. (Which is not sensible....???) The press reports have it both ways LOL

Now Austin B's interpretation may well be what was intended, but that is not how it is written. It should say 'no earlier than', not 'no later than' if Austin has it right (And is what makes some sense!)

Whoever wrote that sentence for the state of Maine is not an English composition major....there's is a missing participle and mispelling ('to' forego) and a missing word, 'result'.

So is this test a test for the actual virus, or an antibody test? They do not say.

Not impressed.....but the reality of requiring a test before entering is that it only indicates a probability of not being infected. And this only happens on or after July 1.

I'll continue to encourage everyone to look at Dare County NC, the Outer Banks, as an alternate example, and why this Maine restriction is not making much sense. As of today, with visitors being allowed in with no restrictions or tests for 3 and 1/2 weeks now, there have been a total of 4 new cases in the county residents, and 5 new non-resident cases, in that 3.5 week time period. Most of the visitors come form VA, OH, PA, MD, NJ and NY. Most visitors stay in rentals homes, not B&B's or motels.

Old 06-09-2020, 01:02 PM

428 posts, read 554,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
I interpret this differently than Austin B. As this reads, you have to receive the test [results] at least 72 hours prior to arrival. Which would mean a test from about anytime prior to 3 days ago would be OK. (Which is not sensible....???) The press reports have it both ways LOL

Now Austin B's interpretation may well be what was intended, but that is not how it is written. It should say 'no earlier than', not 'no later than' if Austin has it right (And is what makes some sense!)

Whoever wrote that sentence for the state of Maine is not an English composition major....there's is a missing participle and mispelling ('to' forego) and a missing word, 'result'.

So is this test a test for the actual virus, or an antibody test? They do not say.

Not impressed.....but the reality of requiring a test before entering is that it only indicates a probability of not being infected. And this only happens on or after July 1.

I'll continue to encourage everyone to look at Dare County NC, the Outer Banks, as an alternate example, and why this Maine restriction is not making much sense. As of today, with visitors being allowed in with no restrictions or tests for 3 and 1/2 weeks now, there have been a total of 4 new cases in the county residents, and 5 new non-resident cases, in that 3.5 week time period. Most of the visitors come form VA, OH, PA, MD, NJ and NY. Most visitors stay in rentals homes, not B&B's or motels.
Here is the guidance from the Maine CDC. "Ideally within the past 72 hours".
https://www.maine.gov/dhhs/mecdc/inf...s.shtml#travel

Old 06-09-2020, 01:09 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,247,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post

You are correct in the reading, but lets say you got a test 2 months ago, what's the point. It's the state, they try...

Old 06-09-2020, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
You are correct in the reading, but lets say you got a test 2 months ago, what's the point. It's the state, they try...
LOL... that was what I was afraid of.

Yeah, the way it was written makes no good sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine