Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2017, 09:14 AM

749 posts, read 418,911 times

Advertisements

Currently, at Aurora, ME, Sunny with intervals of clouds and spotty showers , 62℉/16.67℃, Dew Point 43℉/ 6.11℃, Wind WNW 7MPH...
While gazing out the kitchen window at a hummingbird slipping it's dinner from our feeder, I noticed a Rose-breasted, Grosbeak (in the distance), pecking at the side-mirror of our vehicle! LOL! So determined, so territorial, but so love his operatic song from the Lilac Grove outside our bathroom window, in the morning...
What a lovely way to awaken the day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2017, 12:36 PM

164 posts, read 189,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2
Last year everyone was complaining about the never ending drought we were all having caused by global warming. Probably now people are blaming all the rain on ---you guessed it---global warming.

I believe in climate change. The climate has been changing since the earth was created. After all, the drought of the 1930's dustbowl years is legendary, of course , its history, and no one seems to remember anything about history. The middle age warm period is much warmer than it is now. 5000 years ago the Sahara desert was a lush tropical forest.

Climate is always changing.
lol. Yup. Nice to see you aren't brainwashed like others. I like to joke and say, Climate changed saved California from that drought! lol. It's all about knowledge of weather and climate and it's like those guys pushing it need a history lesson. I still wish we can talk about weather and climate and extremes without bringing that up. The peeve of mine comes when they use it as the excuse why something happened. Record number of Hurricanes because of Global Warming. Record Low Tornadoes because of Climate Change. Biggest snowstorm in history because of Global Warming. Drought because of Climate Change. ect.

This is like saying "the earth is flat...and I know this because when I look at the horizon I see a straight line."

Old 06-02-2017, 04:35 PM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times
6pm Map.

That big orange circle there is the Upper Level Low. It's a Vortex. A Cold Pool of air. That is keeping the surface chilly for June 2nd in Maine. It's also creating instability with showers and even small hail in spots.

Would you rather be in the Dakotas or Minnesota?

NWS Caribou Discussion.

Quote:
National Weather Service Caribou ME
1243 PM EDT Fri Jun 2 2017

Previous Discussion...
A potent, cold upper level low pressure centered immediately
northwest of Maine will help ignite abundant shower activity
today with the heating of the day and the upper low getting
closer. Raised precip chances to likely for today and added in
mention of thunder as well as small hail/graupel. With such a
cold atmosphere aloft, won`t take much for any showers that form
to produce small hail or graupel, but don`t think there`s any
threat for severe storms. Central to Interior Downeast appears
to have the best shot at the more potent cells, but it`s close
enough everywhere that went with broadbrush likely PoPs and
small hail/thunder everywhere over land. Cool today with highs
around 60.

Tonight, with the upper level low pressure overhead, only expect
a modest decrease in shower activity as the sun goes down. Went
with scattered showers tonight. Lows in the 40s. Shouldn`t be
any fog.

Old 06-02-2017, 07:48 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,130,367 times
Hope ya'll are enjoying the great piece of global warming we've been having. Average temps should now hover around 69 in Bar Harbor. We've not seen the high 60's for a long time, and no sign of getting out of the 50's for the fore-seeable future.

Same as all winter. Cold in the daytime, but not cold enough to freeze the lakes at night.

Old 06-03-2017, 03:03 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
We had a year like this 10 or 12 years ago. We had a few days of warm weather in May and then a cold wet summer. We are less than three weeks until summer and we are at risk of that same kind of dreary damp and cold summer that happens once a decade or so.

Old 06-03-2017, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Hope ya'll are enjoying the great piece of global warming we've been having. Average temps should now hover around 69 in Bar Harbor. We've not seen the high 60's for a long time, and no sign of getting out of the 50's for the fore-seeable future.

lol.. Don't you know by now? Heat waves are because of Global Warming, Cold days are because of climate change. Speaking of cold.. Mt Washington snow yesterday, they are above normal snowfall for June now.

Looks like after the 10th or mid month we get into a hot pattern. Still 10 days away so we'll see. But yeah, Jet stream dipping in the Northeast still (It should be well north in Canada by now)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
We had a year like this 10 or 12 years ago. We had a few days of warm weather in May and then a cold wet summer.

The coldest Summer for Bangor was in 1940. The coldest Summer for Portland was 1903. The warmest Summer for Portland was 1876. And all that was before the climate was changing and we had to do something about it. lol. I remember when the Earth's climate never changed...oh wait.

Sunday a better day. NWS Caribou shows the max temps Sunday

https://twitter.com/NWSCaribou/statu...43812058796032

Old 06-03-2017, 06:41 AM

Not to get too technical here's a current temp map. The orange lines are the Upper Level pattern/flow. (at 18,000'). It controls the surface pattern.

Upper Level Lows (the circle) ALWAYS provide cool/cloudy conditions in all seasons. We usually don't get them in late Spring and Summer but they have been common this year. They also provide instability which means precip. If you're under these things in the winter its days of on and off snow showers/squalls. Obviously now it means rain showers.

The hot ridge is centered over central U.S right now. 70s in Minnesota this morning. Very warm! But note under the Upper Low its cool.

This Upper Low is forcing the Jet stream down in the Northeast with a northerly flow to the West of it.

This ULL is leaving today, that's why Maine will warm into the 60s tomorrow but the Jet stream dipping lingers.

Until that Ridge comes over us, don't expect hot weather. I expect it coming by mid month.

Ok, I'm done.

Old 06-03-2017, 10:19 AM

Climate change is the new word for global warming. Heck, everyone believes in climate change. But by changing it to an innocuous word then they can make everyone believe in stuff that has no scientific basis.

The Paris accords were a joke that everyone could agree on because no country had to do anything they didn't want to do, and there were no consequences for not doing anything. It was simply dumb. It is even dumber for the US to withdraw from an accord where they didn't have to do anything.

I can't believe the degree of stupidity that exists in the world. Its amazing we have not all blown ourselves to kingdom come by now, but we may do so soon.

Old 06-03-2017, 12:30 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Climate change is the new word for global warming. Heck, everyone believes in climate change. But by changing it to an innocuous word then they can make everyone believe in stuff that has no scientific basis.

The Paris accords were a joke that everyone could agree on because no country had to do anything they didn't want to do, and there were no consequences for not doing anything. It was simply dumb. It is even dumber for the US to withdraw from an accord where they didn't have to do anything.

I can't believe the degree of stupidity that exists in the world. Its amazing we have not all blown ourselves to kingdom come by now, but we may do so soon.
US is already becoming more energy efficient through use of advanced technologies and lower carbon energy sources. Electricity sector has rapidly transitioned to lower cost natural gas and cheap renewable energy sources with Ohio rapidly moving away from a carbon intensive electricity portfolio to use one example. Air quality and lower emissions are a much more positive reality now compared to even 10-15 years ago when areas of the Ohio Valley had air quality during some summer months that was worse than Los Angeles or areas of China by running 60-70 year old coal plants into the ground. I'll take the low carbon economy and energy efficiency every time if it means less run away warming down the road.

Old 06-03-2017, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I'll take the low carbon economy and energy efficiency every time if it means less run away warming down the road.
The models that show this aren't matching reality. Of course nobody pays any attention to this. All the alarmists are watching is the science from 17 years ago. Much has changed since then. There is a giant pause in the march of the warming, and even the UN says there is. No one knows why the CO2 has continued to increase but the warming has paused.

I really wish that all these people who are so worried would look at current science research and not assume that what happened in the late 1990's is the same as it is now.

There is no evidence currently that there is a runaway of anything. There was evidence, but not now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine