Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2018, 02:47 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times

Advertisements

A heavy band is over Caribou, It's so heavy that the Caribou radar did not get a 4:15 PM reading. This is not to contradict maineguy8888, It's an update. I lost DirecTV for 2 hours. It is back up. We have 19 1/2 inches from this precip. This is not a storm. It's a snowy day. We had a wind shift, better described as a frontal passage because we have had nearly no wind all day. We now have a breeze out of the Northwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2018, 11:24 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,294,816 times
Thanks for the chains replies everyone. Interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpTheCreek View Post
Is that a NWS product? I looked and can’t find it, but I’d sure like to have it. Very cool!
The loops and maps I post is GREarth subscription software I own. If the question was for something else, please let me know.

I started a storm thread for this next one next week. Feel free to vote which area you think will get the most snow from "#4" this month.

Old 03-15-2018, 12:50 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
I used chains a lot when I lived in California [Yosemite and Tioga Pass areas], but have not used them here in Maine.

Mostly where I see chains in use is on tractors, loaders and harvesters out in the woods. So much land here is mucky and/or peat bog I can see where they need it. Much of my land is too soft for my tractor, it gets stuck easily. Thankfully I have a backhoe which gets my tractor unstuck pretty quick.

If you plan to do much off-roading you will need 4X4 and a good wench.

Old 03-15-2018, 01:13 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,242,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I used chains a lot when I lived in California [Yosemite and Tioga Pass areas], but have not used them here in Maine.

Mostly where I see chains in use is on tractors, loaders and harvesters out in the woods. So much land here is mucky and/or peat bog I can see where they need it. Much of my land is too soft for my tractor, it gets stuck easily. Thankfully I have a backhoe which gets my tractor unstuck pretty quick.

If you plan to do much off-roading you will need 4X4 and a good wench.
A great wench is better, but I use a winch when I go in the woods.

Old 03-15-2018, 01:28 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
A great wench is better, but I use a winch when I go in the woods.
One of the great things about America, is that you can use whatever works for you.

I have a winch, but I prefer to spend my time with a wench. To each his own.

Old 03-15-2018, 06:38 PM

217 posts, read 199,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Thanks for the chains replies everyone. Interesting.

The loops and maps I post is GREarth subscription software I own. If the question was for something else, please let me know.

I started a storm thread for this next one next week. Feel free to vote which area you think will get the most snow from "#4" this month.
Thank you and yes, that was the question. I figured it may be a subscription type map. I'm intrigued, I'll check it out!

Old 03-15-2018, 07:51 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,904,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
One of the great things about America, is that you can use whatever works for you.

I have a winch, but I prefer to spend my time with a wench. To each his own.
The wench is really handy when you are driving on deeply-rutted roads; she can get out and direct you when you're creeping through the really nasty spots in the road.

By the way, it just kept snowing up here. Hodgkin ended up with 26 inches. Most places ended up with 8-14 inches. We have had around 130 inches of snow now. Definitely going to be way above average for the winter.

Old 03-16-2018, 08:52 PM

846 posts, read 1,020,116 times
My tractor is 4wd, my land is somewhat dry, it seems to do fine. Your mileage may vary.

Old 03-16-2018, 10:01 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,904,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
The wench is really handy when you are driving on deeply-rutted roads; she can get out and direct you when you're creeping through the really nasty spots in the road.

By the way, it just kept snowing up here. Hodgkin ended up with 26 inches. Most places ended up with 8-14 inches. We have had around 130 inches of snow now. Definitely going to be way above average for the winter.
Auto correct strikes again. Hodgdon.

Old 03-17-2018, 01:15 PM

83,516 posts, read 75,294,816 times
Holy Crap! Bangor has 108.5" for the season so far! Normal to date is 57.7" . They are over 4 feet above normal.

Almost 3 feet of snow this month alone. And in just 2 weeks time

See other stations here.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine