Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2017, 04:41 PM

909 posts, read 545,605 times

Advertisements

I loved comics as a kid. Might as well visit the new location downtown for the kids.
Comics Plus set to relocate to downtown Macon | The Telegraph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 02:55 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,168,045 times
New two-story mixed use development coming to 530-536 Poplar Street in 2018.

530-536 Poplar St, Macon, GA, 31201 - Street Retail Property For Lease on LoopNet.com

Old 06-22-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Bibb County received a $1.5 million grant from the state that will go towards connecting the downtown residential business center to Navicent Health.

Bibb County spokesman Chris Floore says they are still working on finding a match for the grant, but he says the $3 million project will go towards streetscape improvements along Second Street. Floore says it will be similar to the Second Street Corridor project that helped the area between Cherry and Poplar streets develop, but this time it will go two blocks towards Navicent Health.

Bibb County was one of 22 selected out of 44 applicants across the state for this grant.

Floore says they are hoping this will encourage more businesses to develop towards the West side of downtown.
Bibb co. gets $1.5M grant from state to improve west side of downtown | 13wmaz.com

Old 07-15-2017, 05:19 AM

I visited downtown on Friday the 14th of July. Just to wrap up paperwork with an attorney in the area. After leaving Kenneth Nugent office my subconscious was guiding me to go in the direction of the Middle Georgia Regional Library on Washington Avenue. Ken Nugent office is on Cherry Street shares the same building as the Macon Telegraph (though since the closure of the old Telegraph building that sits on the corner of Riverside Drive and Broadway the Telegraph has several offices scattered throughout downtown another one is on Montpelier Avenue). I parked on Popular Street and before making my way to Ken Nugent's office on Cherry Street I sat on a park bench on Popular Street to go over my paperwork. I hadn't even read the darn thing until that moment. A matter of fact I was so eagered to visit the library I even told the receptionist. Before journeying to the library I shot to the Tubman Museum. To pick up a Middle Georgia Informer paper and other reading material. When I got to the Middle Georgia Regional Library in the entrance I picked up some more reading material from off of the magazine rack. One was a 11th Hour pamphlet and the other one was a Georgia State Parks & Historic Sites for 2017 booklet. I got to a cubicle on the second floor of the library and begin fanning the 11th Hour pamphlet. It was after 2 'o' clock when I got there at the library. Though I notice one event was labelled thru tbe 20th of July Monday - Friday from 3 to 5 PM at the Douglas Theatre an exhibit for Macon musicians during the 60's. I was like hey; I can stimulate my mind for awhile by reading a few pages from a few selected books in which that I had check out a few days prior. I was thinking leave the library then head to my barber shop to get a cut, but something intuitively said that I must go to this exhibit at the Douglas Theatre. Leaving the Middle Georgia Regional Library I traveled down Cotton Avenue and on the corner of Cotton Avenue and Cherry Street I notice this sign that said "Books." I always new that it was a bookstore on Cotton Avenue, but today it just pierced at my pysche that I had to make a stop at this particular bookstore that afternoon. Now I put it in my mind that after leaving the exhibit at the Douglas Theatre I would then shoot to the bookstore on Cotton Avenue. I went around to the Douglas Theatre this was after 3 'o' clock. The doors were locked. Then this pale skinned European opens the door up and I politely explain that I had wishful wanted to see the 60's era exhibit of Macon musician. He said that they were not showcasing such event and that they were about to get ready to perform a concert for Elvis. I then reworded my same statement to him to get some type of clarity because I thought maybe there was some misunderstanding on his part. He then proceeded saying, "Maybe they are doing it at the Cox Capital Theatre." I left and went back to my vehicle and searched for the 60's era Macon musician article. It took me awhile though I found it and it said Douglas Theatre not Cox Capital Theatre. I just knew that I had read right. I didn't attempt to go back. I just went around to the bookstore on Cotton. Treading up the walkway I noticed that the Otis Redding Foundation had a place of business too on Cotton Avenue, so I said to myself that after leaving the bookstore then I would proceed to the Otis Redding Foundation headquarters. After leaving the bookstore and purchasing my items I entered the Otis Redding Foundation business building. I talked with this guy there by the name of Justin about several things. I even brought up the Douglas Theatre not being up to their word of how they are false advertising nowadays. He pointed me in the direction of the Macon-Bibb County Visitors Bureau to dispute my case. I accepted the challenge and went to get a little clarity. The woman at the Macon-Bibb Visitors Bureau after reading the segment to her from the pamphlet and showing her proof she went on to state that the 11th Hour is responsible for the error. After googling the 11th Hour telephone number for me she then went on and stated that the Douglas Theatre were wrong. My point being.

I welcome those who know how to navigate this city's full strength and potential with open eyes. The treshold of cities of the future are now changing. The focus is not to build megacities because the engineers behind the mold of the big metropolis are scratching heads trying to figure out new transportation alternatives. The new idea is building cities for example of 90,000 people or less with everything available in which that a big city has.

I believe that Macon is pushing in that direction. I've talked with officials from the Macon-Bibb Planning & Zoning Commission. I done gave my input at the 20 year Comprehension Plan. The agendas that are in place like M.A.P.S., MATS, and others I have seen them personally.

I think the Downtown Challenge has done a great job. Like the Commissioner in the article says that the urban core should be the main focus from there it is spreading over the river, west Macon, central Macon for example; the second annual Open Streets didn't go on as planned not because the weather (20% percent chance of rain) from what I seen in the 11th Hour pamphlet there was a change of date to now October the 1. Montpelier Avenue is supposed to be part of Open Streets and they have recently since the cancellation that was done in the spring the GDOT has did an excellent job of repaving that road with bike lanes on both sides. It is all part done for the upcoming Open Streets. The first year I was skeptical of Open Streets which is purposefully to encourage physical activity outdoors (skating, biking, walking, jogging or just enjoy the outdoor elements). Because I was like the closing of College Street was done just for bike riding. A year has past my mindset is changed. I see a bicycle rider traveling Montpelier Avenue done near ever time in which I travel that street since the repaving and added bike lanes. This is mostly people of darker hue in West Macon. Between the notorious crime ridden Unionville and Napier Heights neighborhoods. Wow. Go Macon. So of course what is taking place downtown is spreading also to other parts of the city. I was eagered to attend the second annual Open Streets for one the addition of food trucks at the event. I wanted to try a lamb gyro. I saw it on the menu of one of the food trucks at the Magnolia Box Car Derby. I didn't make the purchase though. Just being holding it in my long term memory, so now when I hear about a food truck that's the item I want to try, maybe two if they taste as good as they sound.

An overhaul to Third Street into the neighborhoods of central and south Macon from Riverside Drive Gateway Heritage Park will be a plus. The pop-up bike lanes brought people here from all over. The Knight Foundation & NewTown Macon are doing an terrific job. Also the Cherry Street overhaul will be a big up too.

Many aspects of Macon Action Plan are underway | The Telegraph

Last edited by the tiger; 07-15-2017 at 06:19 AM..

Old 07-25-2017, 02:10 PM

841 posts, read 1,402,695 times
Construction may soon begin on new downtown Macon hotel
Construction may soon begin on new downtown Macon hotel | WGXA

MACON, Ga. -- Construction on a new downtown development may soon begin in Macon.
At the Macon-Bibb County Commission Committee of the Whole meeting on Tuesday morning, developers for the new Hyatt Place said that they have all of their permits in order and hope to start construction in about 60 days.

Old 07-27-2017, 04:16 AM

Default Downtown street getting permanent bike lanes

Walnut Street in downtown Macon-Bibb is set to get permanent bike lanes. The costs: $100,000. Money has been given to the city/county by an anonymous donor for the project.
https://www.41nbc.com/2017/07/26/dow...nt-bike-lanes/

Old 07-27-2017, 01:21 PM

841 posts, read 1,402,695 times
Here is the Website for the Project Central City Commons – Gather around.

Old 10-26-2017, 12:14 AM

The commission approved plans for a new roundabout to be place in downtown right near the Children's Hospital on Tuesday 10/24/2017. Which will consist of Forsyth, Spring, and Pine Street. The plan was presented to the county commissioners in April by Navicent Health. Macon is becoming a city of roundabouts. They are pretty much common now.

Old 12-05-2017, 06:17 PM

Jimmy Johns is opening at the Lofts at Navicent Health...
Jimmy John

Old 03-09-2018, 05:07 PM

Your Pie is coming to Poplar St...
A Your Pie restaurant is planned on Poplar Street in Macon | The Telegraph
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon