Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 01:41 PM

63 posts, read 98,449 times

Advertisements

Why do people in Macon have an obsession with its downtown? I see a lot of posts about the crime down there and how it's run down looking etc, so i'm surprised people just don't forget about it and enjoy life out in the 'burbs. I grew up in Florence SC and i dont' remember anybody ever talking about the downtown there. it wasn't until i moved to greenville sc that i realized some towns actually had a vibrant downtown area. it doesn't sound like macon is ever going to be a greenville sc but i guess some of you guys dream big dreams?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 03:01 PM
RNF

141 posts, read 232,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coward Robert Ford View Post
Why do people in Macon have an obsession with its downtown? I see a lot of posts about the crime down there and how it's run down looking etc, so i'm surprised people just don't forget about it and enjoy life out in the 'burbs. I grew up in Florence SC and i dont' remember anybody ever talking about the downtown there. it wasn't until i moved to greenville sc that i realized some towns actually had a vibrant downtown area. it doesn't sound like macon is ever going to be a greenville sc but i guess some of you guys dream big dreams?
I don't think Maconites are the only ones obsessesed with their downtown.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNF View Post
I don't think Maconites are the only ones obsessesed with their downtown.
my point is in some towns, people just don't care about their downtown area b/c they know it is a lost cause. People will laugh if you start trying to hype up Florence's downtown area.

Macon does have some nice architecture downtown along with Mercer's beautiful campus but there is not much they can do about all the unattractive blight and poor people and the crime that goes along with that. basically macon would have to remove those people from downtown to have a shot at making Macon a destination. I think Macon should focus on new developments like Huntsville did with their BridgeStreet and Providence at Main developments and forget about downtown.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:43 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,038,538 times
Quote:
my point is in some towns, people just don't care about their downtown area b/c they know it is a lost cause.
CRF,
I think there is a focus on the downtown areas because that is the only unique thing most cities have. And it is not just Macon ... it has happened pretty much to all mid and large sized cities. For the last 20-30 years there has been the 'suburbia flight' trend almost everywhere. Once the strip malls and box stores went in, well, every where you went was pretty much the same. A neglected downtown surrounded by a relatively new, busy suburbia. In essence, cities and towns lost their identity.
Greenville and Chattanooga are two cities that come to mind that have revitalized the downtown areas. And it worked. It even seems to have worked in Columbus and Augusta, albeit to a lesser extent. When it works it seems to bring back a bit of identity. Civic pride if you will.

A revitalized downtown portrays the sense of stamina, security and /or longevity. And who wouldn't want that for their city?
But as you said, some downtowns are just far too gone to save. Their identities lost, forever.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:24 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,256,356 times
I concur with Bulldawg...downtown and the adjacent intown historic areas are what makes Macon unique and gives it a unique identity. Sure, downtown Macon has a ways to go to be called vibrant, but I have been here about 10 years and I can say that significant progress has been made. The suburbs are fine and many people move there and are very happy, but I just don't like the fact that i can be on Zebulon Rd in Macon, a mall in Gwinnett County, one in Dallas, surburban DC, etc and see the same 5 big box stores, Olive Gardens, etc. If downtown Macon was abandoned, I would not be happy living here. I am not alone in that thinking either. Not dogging the burbs...many folks love it there and that is great for them, but it is not for me. Different strokes...downtowns provide a sense of place and vibe that cannot be found in the suburban areas.

Another thing that downtowns provide is an anchor. Suburbs just keep moving every 20 years to stay "new". In Macon, it went from downtown to Westgate to Tom Hill to Bass/River Crossing...in the year 2030 that area will not be as fresh and nice as it is and there will be new stuff in Bollingbroke, etc. I venture to predict that downtown will have progressed more in that time.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:40 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
Quote:
You've obviously never been to Savannah ... ?!

Macon has a BEAUTIFUL historic downtown with amazing architecture and tons of potential. The people of Macon should be congratulated for showing passion and determination to see downtown restored as the commercial heart of the city again.

Comparing Macon to Florence, SC is really laughable BTW ...

Old 12-14-2012, 07:11 PM

1,808 posts, read 4,038,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post

And exactly where in his post did you see him compare Macon to Florence?
What does Savannah have to do with this post?
Downtown Macon is FAR from beautiful.

Three strikes. Words were typed out but nothing was said. Typical.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:20 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,921,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
And exactly where in his post did you see him compare Macon to Florence?
What does Savannah have to do with this post?
Downtown Macon is FAR from beautiful.

Three strikes. Words were typed out but nothing was said. Typical.
REALLY? Seriously? I have to explain this to you? Make ONE TRIP to Savannah and it's pretty damn obvious why Macon -- or ANY city -- would want to save it's downtown. Savannah's downtown is the heart and soul of the city -- a vibrant, bustling, exciting destination for millions of tourists each year and home to thousands of permanent residents and college students. If Downtown Macon were to succeed in recapturing just PART of the magic that Savannah has, the entire Middle Georgia region would prosper.

But why should I even have to argue this point? What's your beef with Savannah? I find it interesting that you mentioned downtowns in Augusta and Columbus but ignored the most vibrant downtown in the state.

Fortunately, it appears there are plenty of people who care enough about Macon to invest time and energy to make it a better place.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
You've obviously never been to Savannah ... ?!

Macon has a BEAUTIFUL historic downtown with amazing architecture and tons of potential. The people of Macon should be congratulated for showing passion and determination to see downtown restored as the commercial heart of the city again.

I think Macon and Florence compare pretty well to each other as far as demographics go. a lot of poor black people in the dowwntown area with high crime.

Macon does seem a bit more urban downtown, but i think if mercer wasn't down there you guys would have written off downtown macon long ago.

everybody i know from florence who has been to macon says it's downtown is kind of rundown. i didn't think it was that bad except around the riverfront but that has been 16 years ago. I wanted to go to Mercer so it couldn't have been too bad.

I just htink macon is interesting b/c you seem to have polar opposite views on the downtown area, some people are passionate about it, some people think it's horrible. i can't think of any other town like that. in florence, everybody dumps it or doesnt even talk about it. in greenville, everybody gushes over it. etc

Old 12-15-2012, 06:12 AM

macon's downtown isn't ever going to be a tourist destination. macon isn't near the coast or the mountains so really no reason for people to vacation there. when i think of macon i think of Mercer basically. what makes it attactive tosome people is the low cost of living, warm weathe r, and light traffic, which is exactly what makes Florence attractive. florence is a lot closer to the beach though and thus 9 out of 10 people probably prefer florence to macon.

greenville has the waterfall and pedestrian bridge in its downtown and it still not really a tourist destination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon