Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2012, 03:37 PM

1,808 posts, read 4,039,197 times

Advertisements

I think Macon should pour the money into its downtown. Macon has lost its identity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
You are the first person I've ever heard declare it a "tourist trap." The opinion of 1 out of 12.5 million doesn't mean a thing.
A quick google search shows, oh, say 50 dozen or so folks who also feel downtown Savannah is/or has tourist traps.
Just for you I will share a few -
Quote:
“Tourist Trap”
2 of 5 stars

I'm sorry but I didn't enjoy this area of Savannah. Most all shops were the same thing over and over. It was definately centered around tourists. Food from this area was so so. Worst thing were all the street people who approached, outside of nearly every shop, wanting to sell a flower they made from sea grass or something. Most were unrelenting and we ran into them over and over. They made everyone I saw uncomfortable. No police or security patrolling this area. Best part was riding the train up and down the street.
Quote:
Basically all of River Street...

1.5 out of 5 stars

Basically all of River Street is a tourist trap, but won't prevent me from visiting it!!
Quote:
River St. (the Riverwalk) is a...

0.5 out of 5 stars

River St. (the Riverwalk) is a pretty touristy area of touristy shops, touristy restaurants, and touristy tourists. That said, it's still a good place for a beer and some shrimp.
Quote:
“Tourist Trap”
3 of 5 stars

The food was okay. It is waaaay overpriced. There are a lot better places to eat in Savannah. You do get a free dessert on your birthday. I had the strawberry shortcake which was delish. I can't even recall what I had for dinner. That's how memorable it was. I won't be going back.
Quote:
“Tourist Trap”
1 of 5 stars

This is a tourist trap and I would avoid it. There are better, cheaper places to eat in Savannah. The food was heavy, bland and uninspired. Service was OK, but impersonal.
A classic case of unseen forest because of the trees.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2012, 03:46 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,846,349 times

Why we live in MidTown, Columbus Georgia - YouTube

Come Home to MidTown Columbus, Georgia - YouTube

Very similar.

Old 12-25-2012, 04:48 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,929,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
I think Macon should pour the money into its downtown. Macon has lost its identity.

A quick google search shows, oh, say 50 dozen or so folks who also feel downtown Savannah is/or has tourist traps.
Just for you I will share a few -
A classic case of unseen forest because of the trees.
LOL -- AGAIN!!! Those reviews are of RIVER STREET, which is only one small part of Savannah and DOES NOT represent downtown. The riverfront is what it is: a raw, gritty draw for tourists. The rest of downtown (as I and others have mentioned) is far different and a model for cities nationwide -- including Macon.

I know that Macon's city leaders and most of its citizens agree.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:50 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,039,197 times
Macon should not look to Savannah as an example of downtown restoration.

Quote:
The riverfront is what it is: a raw, gritty draw for tourists.
Quote:
You are the first person I've ever heard declare it a "tourist trap."
Besides you, huh? So now just a piece of downtown is a tourist trap. Gotcha.
Have you been to downtown Greenville, South Carolina in the last few years? That is a great model of restoration/renewal to follow. Although I am sure they would welcome tourists, it sure seems to me that they planned their work around the citizens of Greenville. And in my opinion, they nailed it.

Old 12-26-2012, 12:44 PM

49 posts, read 65,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNF View Post
Lot's of poor black people downtown?
I think what the author meant was "black people", period. Otherwise, race wouldn't have been mentioned. Author needs to become more skilled in the use of code words and dog whistles. For example, the author could've simply said "poor people" and let each reader's mind run to it's default destination. LOL.

Last edited by adenuff; 12-26-2012 at 01:41 PM..

Old 12-27-2012, 02:44 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coward Robert Ford View Post
my point is in some towns, people just don't care about their downtown area b/c they know it is a lost cause. People will laugh if you start trying to hype up Florence's downtown area.
You know this also used to be the case for Greenville's downtown, right?

Quote:
Comparing Macon to Florence, SC is really laughable BTW ...
Do you know anything about Florence? The two cities are actually quite comparable. Their metros are between 200K-250K, they have two interstates, direct connections to a port, a decent university, have similar GDP's, etc. They are pretty much peer cities in every respect.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:14 AM

841 posts, read 1,402,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You know this also used to be the case for Greenville's downtown, right?

Do you know anything about Florence? The two cities are actually quite comparable. Their metros are between 200K-250K, they have two interstates, direct connections to a port, a decent university, have similar GDP's, etc. They are pretty much peer cities in every respect.

Florence and Macon maybe be comparable when you are considering both DT areas needs more revitalization; But as peer or comparable size cities they don't compare.... Florence is only 17.7 sq mil in size with a pop 37,056 and metro 205,566; Macon Consolidated city 255.13 sq mil; City proper 56.5 sq mil /Pop 91,000 with a Consolidated city pop 155,547. Macon Metro 222,368 with a CSA 404,668. Also there is so much more to Macon than what you listed; Macon has access to 3 Interstates 75, 16 & 475 Bypass; It has the Largest rail yard in the southeast and the 2nd largest medical faculty in the state of GA. Not only is there Mercer, But Macon State and Wesleyan and a host of tech colleges...I can create a long list of how Macon is not a peer cities in any respect with Florence. To be honest the Downtown areas are not even comparable.

Last edited by NewtownMacon; 12-28-2012 at 09:32 AM..

Old 12-28-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
You are dismissing Macon on this reason? There are cities I can think of off the top of my head that aren't near the coast or mountains and are still popular destinations. Heck, drive south a few hours and you'll find one. Orlando.
Austin, Texas anyone? Nowhere near mountains or the coast.

If the majority of the citizens of the Macon area were proactive in making Macon a destination to come to for vacationing, it would happen. Where there's a will, there is a way.
I think once the the Renaissance on the River Project is completed; Downtown is going to really take off. For those of you who don't know what's the Renaissance on the River project; It a $60 million riverfront hotel, office and residential development proposed for riverfront property off Riverside Drive. The project’s first phase, which would feature an upscale tower hotel with 40 rooms, 24 condominiums and top-floor restaurant and club. Phase 1 would also include a 100,000-square-foot office building and a public parking deck. Phase 2 would add retail space and 142 apartments.

Project Renderings

“How that property is developed will impact the perception of the city and the further development of the downtown area,” said former Mercer President Kirby Godsey, who’s heading up the development group. “So we put together a small group of people to conceive a development that would be multi-use and would be an appropriate and significant signature for entering Macon, Georgia.”

For those who are doubting this project; Sorry but it already moving forward...

Old 12-28-2012, 10:15 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,177,954 times
Well..interesting discussion.

It's been a long time since I was in Macon. Maybe in the very early 00s?

Impressions of downtown was interesting. Y'alls comments re Mercer are right on target. The campus and old buildings are pretty nice and quite unexpected. I also like how the city sort of climbs those hills towards the campus...old houses and apartments from what I recall... And the boulevards (if they would landscape them better you'd have something special). Also seems a lot of older things are still standing. Seemed like a fairly large downtown as the rest of the city didnt seem that big (from off the interestate).

Another observation how the downtown seems to shade off into this industrial area, where they had those big museums (which I guess was the tourist draw). I think there is a river down there somewhere but hard to know...since it seemed like I was heading down to the bottom of that valley.

Not much more to say. Seems like a place with a lot of character, a lot of potential.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:53 PM

Last edited by NewtownMacon; 12-28-2012 at 01:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon