Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 12:27 AM

2 posts, read 10,122 times

Advertisements

Have you lived in downtown Macon? Any thoughts? I'm young, single, and need to relocate to the Macon area. Any suggestions on where to live? Looking for cafes, restaurants, and some fun neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 04:57 AM

10 posts, read 51,082 times
I have worked in downtown Macon for 15+ yrs. Don't know much about what the 20-30 something crowd do for entertainment and where they "hang out". Macon is a neat town that has lots of scenery and historical worth. There are some really rotten places in town -- just like any area -- and those give Macon a bad name. I've always heard that if you're living down town you have to deal w/ lots of break-ins w/ your car and vandalism. I am still amazed how a town can be so incredibly busy and hopping during the week and if you go downtown on a Sat. or Sun. there's no one anywhere unless the Grand Opera House or Cherry Street has something going on. Parking is horrendous in the actual business portion of downtown. The schools have a terrible reputation and most anyone that has the opportunity or is willing, scrapes the money together to send their child to a private school. This is unfortunate b/c the schools will never turn around until people w/ some influence, drive and a bit of cash decide to make the system better. If you're young and not dealing w/ the family scene yet, it'd be a fine place to live. Ingleside Pizza is the best!!

Old 03-20-2008, 02:39 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,254,714 times
I lived in downtown Macon on Cherry St for a year when I was single (and 25, 3 years ago) I loved it. Downtown is in the revitalization phase and it is not complete so there are still some shady areas, but I used to walk to my apt at 2am from the bars and never had a problem. I think it is by far the best place to live for a single young person in Macon. I could walk to unique restaurants, art shows, the river for jogging, had the best spot in town during The Cherry Blossom Festival, and enjoyed every minute of it. Middle GA is very family oriented and downtown is about the only place to be where kids are not the priority. (I love kids, but a single young person needs to be able to have adult fun and most of all not have to worry about driving afterward) There are many lofts and apartments downtown as well as split up old historic homes. Some places that come to mind are Katherine Court, Terrace apts, Cherry Place Apts, Ashley Towers. Most of the other places are small (2-10 apts) and therefore visiting downtown and looking for available signs is about the only way to find them. Lots of Mercer students vacate their apts in May so now through May is an ideal time to look downtown. Good Luck.

For the record, I was never a victim of any crime during my days downtown. One of my neighbors did have her car broken into but she left a computer in plain sight. Pretty stupid on her part, but like any downtown area a little common sense and preparation (dont park in dark areas, lock your car, hide valuables, and don't take shortcuts through dark alleys) go a long ways.

Let me know if you have specific questions.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:55 PM

511 posts, read 2,476,541 times
It simple some hate others love it, not much in between, me I love it.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:17 PM

26 posts, read 107,990 times
We live in North Highlands just across the river. My son takes the Riverwalk downtown with a family friend quite often. They feel quite safe and never any talk of danger. We've never felt unsafe in Macon and hope we never have to. We use common sense and good judgement. Bottom line.....we love it here.
As far as the school system goes....I would not put my children in public school. Our children are homeschooled. If we lived in Houston or Monroe County, public school would be an option.

Last edited by rdinga; 03-29-2008 at 09:38 PM..

Old 09-19-2011, 10:35 PM

4 posts, read 8,304 times
i have lived in macon all my life.born here in 46 and never have seen 1 prostitute or drug area here.maybe i need glasses!! could be

Old 10-11-2011, 06:09 PM

2 posts, read 6,597 times
I lived in the Orange and High St. area of downtown, I loved it I could walk to just about eveything going on downtown.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:33 PM

2 posts, read 5,754 times
How is living in bainbridge ga

Old 01-29-2012, 03:22 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,096,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsoda View Post
How is living in bainbridge ga
...might wanna post that as a question of it's own in the main Georgia section. Bainbridge is is nowhere near here lol.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:15 PM

33 posts, read 66,876 times
Downtown Macon now has almost 2,000,000 square feet of unused office space. That should say enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon