Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 03:28 PM

1,808 posts, read 4,064,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Your problem is that you think that someone is bashing or downplaying Macon ....
Well that would be me. I admit it. You want to know why? Because Macon is usually statistically less than all other cities they chose to compare her to. From median income levels, to education levels, to local construction, to crime ... pretty much any category one wants to look at in regards to relocating. In my opinion, compared to the other cities listed above, Macon is the least desirable place to move to. Hands down.
And I have spent a good deal of time in each and every one listed above. My company has had contracts with TVA, so I have spent time in both Chatanooga and Knoxville. In fact, my company was involved with the construction of both downtown civic centers in Chattanooga and Knoxville. We have had a long standing contract with the Greenville County School Board. And, unfortunately, we just performed some contract work at the Bibb County Health Department. I have been to all those cities in the not so distant past. Of all of them I need not say which is my least favorite. And it is not even close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 05:00 PM

242 posts, read 344,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
So you post some numbers and cannot back them up? Even Wiki tells the same story, when you compare the associated counties. Bibb is in last place in all similar stats.

Show me your data.
http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/sta...21.html:smack:

Old 01-01-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownMacon478 View Post
http: ------
Broken link. I expected as much.

Do you honestly think Macon had more single family dwelling permits than Chatanooga and Greenville combined?
Truth be told you are purposely comparing apples to oranges and will not provide a link to your source. I have compared the associated counties (Greenville, Knox, Hamilton and Bibb) via wiki and already know what that data says.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:48 PM

71 posts, read 117,718 times
Basically, we've got a guy in NewtownMacon that exaggerates the greatness of Macon and a guy in Bulldawgfan that exaggerates how crappy it is. The end. This is horrible for people coming on C-D looking for real reviews about Macon, but comical for us that know better. No one with sense would believe Macon and Knoxville or Greenville are peers, but also no one would go to Macon and mistake it for a real cesspool like Midwestern and East Coast ghettos. Northern Bibb and Southern Bibb are typical suburban USA and inner city Macon is typical of ghettos in other southern medium sized cities. Macon's not so good or so bad that there's need to dwell on things regardless of which side of the argument you're on. Reading NewtownMacon's posts you'd think Macon was a one of the leading metros of it's size in the country. Reading Bulldawgfan's posts you'd think it was Ciudad Juarez.

Last edited by Big_Dave_Jones; 01-01-2013 at 05:58 PM..

Old 01-02-2013, 11:23 AM

68 posts, read 135,459 times
"Macon's obsession with it's downtown"

LOL what downtown?

Old 01-02-2013, 02:22 PM

38,005 posts, read 42,570,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
Well that would be me. I admit it. You want to know why? Because Macon is usually statistically less than all other cities they chose to compare her to. From median income levels, to education levels, to local construction, to crime ... pretty much any category one wants to look at in regards to relocating. In my opinion, compared to the other cities listed above, Macon is the least desirable place to move to. Hands down.
And I have spent a good deal of time in each and every one listed above. My company has had contracts with TVA, so I have spent time in both Chatanooga and Knoxville. In fact, my company was involved with the construction of both downtown civic centers in Chattanooga and Knoxville. We have had a long standing contract with the Greenville County School Board. And, unfortunately, we just performed some contract work at the Bibb County Health Department. I have been to all those cities in the not so distant past. Of all of them I need not say which is my least favorite. And it is not even close.
Well I was referring to myself when I said that he thinks someone is downplaying or bashing the city for categorizing it appropriately. Even if I don't particularly care for a place, I at least try to be objective about the facts. And the facts clearly point to Macon being in a lower tier than Chattanooga, Knoxville, Greenville, Columbia, and Charleston.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Well I was referring to myself when I said that he thinks someone is downplaying or bashing the city
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Dave_Jones View Post
Basically, we've got a guy in NewtownMacon that exaggerates the greatness of Macon and a guy in Bulldawgfan that exaggerates how crappy it is.
Interesting. You guys think NtM is male? Boy I would have lost that bet had we made it, and she ended up a he!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Dave_Jones View Post
a guy in Bulldawgfan that exaggerates how crappy it is.
Well, if you look back in the archives you will see I make an emphasis on the crime levels in Macon. Whether a city is crappy or not is a matter of opinion. Feelings. Emotions. That is how the Maconites go about defending her. I typically just list published data and sit back and watch the emotional reaction.

Quote:
Even if I don't particularly care for a place, I at least try to be objective about the facts.
And there it is in a nutshell. Why let facts get in the way of feelings?

Old 01-03-2013, 08:30 PM
RNF

141 posts, read 234,586 times
Crazy how the same person derails thread after thread.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNF View Post
Crazy how the same person derails thread after thread.
Once again I am going to ask ... are you going to add anything to the topic? Do you have an opinion of why Maconites are obsessed with their downtown?
You have made two posts in this thread and in neither one did you comment on the topic. And you think I am derailing the thread? Classic.
I miss your opinions, I haven't laughed real hard on here since you stopped posting. Surely you have an opinion, do you care to share it or are you just trying to derail another thread by going off topic?

Old 01-04-2013, 04:47 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,150,577 times
You've got about 35-40% of Macon's real population living in unincorporated areas that have a much a higher median income and much lower crime rate than what is currently listed in the stats for Macon city proper. Count in all the shopping, dining, employers, and entertainment in what is still currently "unincorporated Bibb County" like AMSTAR, The Shoppes, Geico (and all of Ocmulgee East Industrial area), etc and you've got an even higher % of the population within Bibb County that either lives or spends most of their time in areas that arent accounted for in the listed "stats" for Macon. Even within the currently set city proper boundaries, the bulk of Macon's crime is centered around certain neighborhoods near the Mall, or just South of Downtown. It would pretty biased to judge Macon as whole based off stats which exclude so much of Macon.

As for Downtown, the part of Downtown most people go to on the weekend (like Cherry St.) is safe generally. Lol it's not even filled with "poor black people" as I read on here. The majority of the crowd are 20 somethings and it's good mix of all people, but if anything I'd say it's majority white. Most of the people you see of any racial background around there are just college kids. "The Hood" doesnt party there, so dont be alarmed if you think you see too many "undesirables."

Mercer (The Village) is gorgeous and the Historic District (College St, etc.) is charming and speaks for themselves.

And people in Macon aren't "obsessed" with Downtown anyway. People are more "obsessed" with North Macon and Rutland/Hartley Bridge than anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon