Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2009, 06:42 PM

113 posts, read 306,211 times

Advertisements

The Tabbard Ale House !!!! They used to serve drinks (like sex on the beach) by the pitcher and bring enough straws for everyone at the table,no glasses !!!!!
Sandys restaurant in Jericho,best homefires on the planet !!!! The Millridge Inn in Jericho around Christmas time and the village they set up behind it in the parking lot.McCloskeys steak house on Sunrise hwy in Bellmore,best priced Steak for 2 on a Friday night,happy hour special !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 11:15 AM

40 posts, read 129,899 times
Surprised that nobody mentioned the OBI. Oak beach Inn

Old 09-04-2009, 11:00 PM

467 posts, read 713,059 times
There are too many things I miss about long island. Good Food, the convenience of a store of any need at any corner. Many Many Malls. The list goes on. North Carolina is way different. I Saw some people from NC at the beginning, so I thought i'd just go to the end. Lol.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:15 PM

1 posts, read 4,886 times
St4 with Mal then the Cordials with Jimmy and The Tremoloes with Tommy, George, Jimmy and Harry
Post House, Straw Hat, Community Gardens in QV

Last edited by Oldies; 09-15-2009 at 08:52 PM..

Old 09-17-2009, 03:03 AM

815 posts, read 2,052,093 times
Wow! I just read this whole thread. I am old, time for bed.....I do hope the Mods make this a sticky, because there are way too many memories here to be buried on page 7! I find the East End under-represented. So here are some East End restaurants that are no more: Gracie's Hot Dogs (Manorville), John Ducks, Balzarini's, Bowden Square (RIP Herb) all in Southampton.
All this talk of BAB, how about Allison Steele, the night Bird (come fly with me) and the sponser with those annoying commercials: Dennison Clothiers, route 27, Union NJ. Money talks and nobody walks!
I am surprised the Bay Shore contingent forgot about the large sign for the Edwin Ball Wine and spirit store. It was quite visible from Main St. in Brightwaters "BALL LIQUORS"!!
More tomorrow

Old 09-17-2009, 09:13 AM

815 posts, read 2,052,093 times
Ronkonkoma:
Eddie's pizza (what a gentleman) & Bruno's Village, Staub's market (room temperature eggs for sale), H & H Bakery and the everything hardware store with the old creaky wood floors Agnew & Taylor.

Smithtown:
David Brown hardware and Tanzi Lumber in Kings Park, Gold Coast bar in St. James, The Smithtown Drive-in, Great Oak Marinas original location (where Smith-Haven mall is now), Hilltop Diner & Bishop's Sporting Goods! The OBI North (remember the girl whose body was dumped there?), Angelo's on Main St (Mmmmm shrimp & garlic Pizza), Mayfair Diner, and Silvestri's lounge was the one near Commack Motor Inn (not Sylvesters). The curvy road on the way to the beach (Little Africa) was River Road. The artesian well on Short Beach Road and the old Italian Gigolo who lived in a Beach Shack on Short Beach. Rudy's Rest in San Remo, very close to the Interlude bar on Riviera Drive.

Other:
Benkert's Bakery in Centereach (went to college with Eugene Benkert), Crazy Billy's Liquors (long before there was a crazy Eddie), Blue Dawn Diner in Central Islip, Master's in New Hyde Park, Ivy League Pre-School (Dr. Saxe was my supervising Teacher when I was a student Teacher), Walter G. O'Connell the principal of Copiague HS, and the Bund meeting was at Camp Siegfried in Yaphank. The Student Activity Fee at Stony Brook ($54 when tuition was only $200!!!) but OH! the groups they had performing at SUNY Stony Brook were the best ever (Moody Blues, Allman Bros (1970), Pacific Gas & Electric, Jefferson Airplane, Jimmy Hendrix, Joan Baez, Hot Tuna, Humble Pie (Frampton)). Whoever was booking these was a visionary!

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this lovely walk down memory Lane.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:15 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,339,993 times
Benkert's Bakery is still there and their cakes are still great. They just opened up a deli in the same building (expanded into the previous place that was there, though can't remember what it was.).

Old 10-18-2009, 06:26 PM

7 posts, read 27,104 times
Broken Arrow reunion show is in the works.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:53 PM

3 posts, read 9,611 times
Default Roosevelt Field and Hempstead Turnpike

Speaking of Roosevelt Field Mall, anyone remember before it was an "indoor" mall? I remember freezing in the winter walking from store to store. And those beautiful fountain pools between the rows of stores (which were shut during winter). People always threw coins in the water. How about Gimbels, Horn and Hardart Restaurant, and the food counter at Woolworth's? Hempstead Turnpike was really hoppin' with May's, Grants, and Wilfred's Coffee Shop. Anyone remember a restaurant across the street called Fiesta? It predated Lum's and only stayed a few years. Car hop service; you just phoned in your order from your car using a special phone in a toll booth like parking space. You also had the option of eating inside where each table had one of those order phones! It was so innovative and was my favorite place to eat as a child!

Read more: https://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...#ixzz0US7OogOO

Old 10-20-2009, 09:46 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnocher View Post
Surprised that nobody mentioned the OBI. Oak beach Inn
So funny...my parents used to bring me there as a little kid...but isn't it a bar? Lol. They had karaoke there and we would do it and probably annoy the hell out of everyone, lol. What could be better than a bunch of rambunctious 8 years old screaming in your ear?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island