Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2009, 03:59 PM

1 posts, read 5,942 times

Advertisements

Bohack, Walbaum, Ubie's OTJ (off to jail), the Nautilus Diner, Berner High School, The Jolly Roger, Diary Barn, and that corner pizza - haven't tasted anything like it outside NY.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 02:09 PM

1 posts, read 5,809 times
Default East Meadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvertaxedOnLI View Post
Thanks for reminding me about Great Eastern.. I'd completely forgotten it! Actually the majority of my memories are from when the mini golf and driving range were there: It was called Pat Lordi's. Do you mean Shor's (the pizza place)? Or was it Dave Shor's... grrrrr..... I still can't keep straight which one was near the mini-golf, because they were both on Hempstead Turnpike. The other was closer to the Coliseum.

Are you an EMHS alumni from the mid-60s? Because there is a reunion coming up this year for the classes of 1966 and 1967; just got the mailing the other day.
The pizza place next to Pat Lordi's was Prince of Pizza. Behind it was the trampoline section of Pat Lordi's. Shoe King Sam was in front of Pat Lordi's.

Dave Shor's was a burger / shake place at the corner of Hempstead Tpke and Merrick Avenue. It's a bank now. And of course Mitchell Field Air Force Base, one of the flight paths was right over our house, which was behind the Stardust (now Colony) Diner.

Ah, memories!

Old 02-04-2010, 02:15 PM

20,023 posts, read 20,831,761 times
Anyone remember a place called Ferdinands Meats? a butcher shop obviously...my grandparents used to go there all the time, to which I got dragged along with them, but for the life of me I can't remember where it was.
Nassau county though.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:32 PM

2 posts, read 10,501 times
i hung out at nathans on bike night! i had friends in Oceanside. does anyone know heidi goldberg?

Old 02-20-2010, 10:40 AM

1 posts, read 5,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineMami View Post
I love this thread!
I grew up in Westbury (b 1959), or "the country" as my aunts and uncles in Brooklyn referred to it.

I remember

White Side Farm up on Old Country Road (it had a big caged crow with a sign that said it eats, among other things, little children's fingers).

Elenor and Pike on Old Country Road with a big cow and sheep head sticking out of the top of the store like they were looking out of a barn.

The restaurant in Gertz in Hickville that served frozen custard/soft ice cream/frappe in tall glasses, with strawberry or chocolate syrup on a long spoon dunked in them. I can still taste it and would like to, once again, before I die!

Roosevelt Field before it was enclosed, with its weird street lamps that had some sort of an eye logo. (any photos of it out there?)

The Farmer's Market (I think) with sawdust on the floor and a carousel and a cheesy smell... we used to go after church. When I was in my teens, I'd get my Famous Monsters of Filmland magazines .

An amusement park that had a little automotron Baroque orchestra playing violins and harpsichords behind glass that freaked my little brother out. (It was either Jolly Rogers or Adventure's Inn)

Parking under the train tracks at My Father's Place for a show and spending the next two days trying to scrape the bat guano off of my mother's Chevy Nova.

(This reminds me that I have to take more photos of my daughter's surroundings--stores, roads, restaurants, etc for her personal record)

Thanks for the memories!!

I remember that weird eye logo on the light posts entering the parking lot of the mall. I believe they were orange in color with a black eye ball and lids???... Strange...
I found this site trying to find pictures of Coronet toy store on Old Country Rd. in Westbury. Where the Honda motorcycle dealer is now located.

Does anyone remember "Ed's" the hamburger place on the corner of Old Country Rd. and Newbridge Rd. in Hicksville.
I remember walking there with friends and getting a burger with greasy fries.... looking back now I'm sure it wasn't good for you.... but it sure tasted good back then.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:22 PM

7 posts, read 34,323 times
Default Port Jeff Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollo86 View Post
does anyone remember builders emporium store? s&s bakery in selden in the 70's?,angelos pizza,leo's deli,pj's deli (coram,around 74-75 or so),charlie the barber?,port jeff bowling alley and the luncheonette right next to it?,st.margarets church and little league in selden? jericho elementary school,hawkins path,newfield high school?
I used to play the lounge at the Port Jeff Bowl with 'Chamber Of Commerce' featuring Skip Pinter.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:25 PM

20,023 posts, read 20,831,761 times
Does anybody remember laughter?

Old 03-01-2010, 02:28 PM

7 posts, read 34,323 times
Default The Musical Group 'Heat Wave'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnblondy View Post
I am new to the forum, but grew up on Long Island. I was fun remembering some of the places from my childhood that were mentioned. In my early twenties though, my gal pals and I used to hit the discos.(1973-1974) Does anyone remember Brothers II? My favorite band played there a lot. The Rhythm Jesters. There was another band that made the rounds in the clubs called Heat Wave featuring Janet Joyce. Anyone remember them?
I played Bass and sang with 'Heat Wave' for a while. The players were: Richie Talbot (guitar), Janet Joyce (lead vocals), Billy Razzmanis (drums) and me (Bass).

Old 03-01-2010, 04:59 PM

58 posts, read 165,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paynterock View Post
Remember the seven sisters.??????????
I wreked a few cars on those hills in Selden !!

Old 03-01-2010, 05:08 PM

58 posts, read 165,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyandgadgetguy View Post
I'd like to talk to you about this. Interested?
Was that at the creepy cemetary around crystal brook hollow rd?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island