Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2010, 12:24 PM

24,130 posts, read 32,536,012 times

Advertisements

More stores from the past - Great Eastern in Jericho - I think there's a Marshalls there now
Mays in Levittown
someplace called Daveega - I may have it spelled wrong
TSS with those strange escalators
Gensell's furniture in Mineola.
Mid Island Plaza in Hicksville - they had a Merry Go Round
they also had a Gertz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 01:54 PM

1 posts, read 4,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'phank View Post
OK, speaking of cheap stores from the past, I remember a store, on West Main St., Patchogue, called Two Guys. It was dark, had wood plank floors and, if I remember correctly, a theater-type marquee and lights at the entrance. I have fond memories of running around the display tables there as a little kid, bored, as usual, with having to go shopping with my mother. The tables were at my eye level at the time. I ran into a corner, almost "pokin' my eye out," as moms so universally warn. I guess it ended that shopping trip. Sorry, Mom.
Ricky's 15 cent hamburgers! I can still taste the mustard and those great pickles! They were served in a wax paper wrap. It was good for my parents, who didn't have a lot of money. It was a real treat for my sisters and I. That was before we even heard of McDonald's. Sometime after that was Carrol's, which became Burger King. Wow, that's a long time ago!
How about walking around Main and Ocean avenue, smelling whatever was in the ovens at the bakery? Rice pudding at the Skyliner Diner? NY style thin cheese pizza at the Rt. 112 near Medford? Food and fun at the space-age Whirl-Inn with the great kids rides? My favorite was the helicopter. That was next to the building supply store with the robot-like mascot called, what else...Bill Ding! MMMMM!!!!!
Sorry, been living off The Island for a few decades! I wonder if anyone remembers that firehouse-themed restaurant, I think beyond Coram, maybe on Rt. 25 or 25A? How about Gene's, out toward Westhampton, a roadside place with some of the best eats around - the "Meanwhile-back-at-the-ranch" and the "Dagmar Blast" sandwiches, among others. Let me know when they invent that time machine. I know where I'm going!
I'm getting hungry...thanks for the memories!
Two Guys.....Naturally

Old 08-19-2010, 04:49 PM

180 posts, read 604,661 times
Uh how about the Commack Flea Market. Where else could one get ninja stars and obscene t-shirts prior to going roller skating next store!

Old 08-20-2010, 05:01 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,773,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEGGYDOUGAN View Post
was it not on the My Father's Place tape??? don't you have that? (from WLIR)

I still miss WLIR. What ever happened to those DJ's, Larry the Duck, Malibu Sue and the rest?

Old 08-20-2010, 06:37 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,773,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnsprufera View Post
How about Swift Kick and the Mad Hatter & Ladies Nights all around town.

My first club was Spize on 110. Someone told me it's now a strip club.

Old 08-21-2010, 05:37 AM

7 posts, read 34,354 times
Default Long Island Stores From The Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
More stores from the past - Great Eastern in Jericho - I think there's a Marshalls there now
Mays in Levittown
someplace called Daveega - I may have it spelled wrong
TSS with those strange escalators
Gensell's furniture in Mineola.
Mid Island Plaza in Hicksville - they had a Merry Go Round
they also had a Gertz
'Sands Salvage' in Brentwood

Old 08-21-2010, 08:02 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,195,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
There was a restaurant on 25A in Stony Brook called the Station House which had a fire house theme. Burned down quite a while ago.
LOL!!!!! Kinda funny, no?

Old 08-24-2010, 06:25 PM

322 posts, read 938,390 times
Don't know if it was already posted, but some places I remember from my younger days:
Flea Market at Roosevelt Raceway
Wolfie's and the Rusty Scupper in Westbury
Beefsteak Charlie's
Westbury Drive-In
40 West in Jericho
Cruising 'the Pike' (parking lot of Tri-County Fleamarket on Hempstead Turnpike)
Sheridan Bowling Alley in Mineola

Old 08-24-2010, 08:28 PM

8,818 posts, read 21,296,866 times
The Mineola Fair.... with tents, livestock and 4 H contests. Just like "Charlottes Web", really.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 09-30-2010, 06:05 PM

1 posts, read 4,172 times
Default The Royal Viking Smorgasbord

Tell me more about The Royal Viking Smorgasbord my uncle used to own it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island