Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2009, 11:39 AM

958 posts, read 1,106,061 times

Advertisements

Bronco Charlies [Oakdale] Farmers Market Sunrise Bayshore. Wetsons [Bayshore]
Monkey Mountan [Hempstead TPK. ]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 07:18 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,193,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevar242 View Post
Bronco Charlies [Oakdale] Farmers Market Sunrise Bayshore. Wetsons [Bayshore]
Monkey Mountan [Hempstead TPK. ]
The Farmers market next to the Bayshore Mall? YEAH I remember that! It was like a big shanty over there.
And I was just a little kid but lived in Bayshore, I remember Wetson's up there on Sunrise Highway.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:42 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,058,962 times
Roller Skating and Ice Skating at Roll N' Ice in Copiage...Building is presently a closed Ford dealership....

Rodeo at the Long Island Arena in Commack....think that's been long torn down....

Was in Patchogue yesterday and noticed Jay's curtain store is closed, they where in business for quite a while....

The only thing you can count on in life is change, or so they say....

You know your'e from Long Island when you find that the seagulls flying around snow covered alpine peaks in Utah (quite a dichotomy) are somehow comforting....

Old 06-10-2009, 06:55 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,601,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
You know your'e from Long Island when you find that the seagulls flying around snow covered alpine peaks in Utah (quite a dichotomy) are somehow comforting....
You're so right about the gulls. Every time I've travelled to an inland location it feels to me like the sky is "empty" without seeing/hearing them.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:33 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,193,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
Roller Skating and Ice Skating at Roll N' Ice in Copiage...Building is presently a closed Ford dealership....

Rodeo at the Long Island Arena in Commack....think that's been long torn down....

Was in Patchogue yesterday and noticed Jay's curtain store is closed, they where in business for quite a while....

The only thing you can count on in life is change, or so they say....

Ice skated in that arena. And also saw the Emmit Kelly Jr circus in the commack arena. He actually got hurt at the end of the performance.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Willys View Post
Ice skated in that arena. And also saw the Emmit Kelly Jr circus in the commack arena. He actually got hurt at the end of the performance.
I remember going to a circus there, was very young at the time. Shows where simpler then, not as high tech as today's, but where no less enjoyable and the performers had to rely more on their own ablities and talent. Unfortunately this incurred more risk under certain circumstances.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:39 AM

1 posts, read 4,400 times
Do you remember billy blakes, buy the smithtown bull?

Old 06-12-2009, 08:50 AM

83 posts, read 381,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimnSue View Post
The Bay Shore Roller Rink.......(still sitting there empty after god knows how many years).....whenever I hear "Say you Say Me" by Lionel Richie I think of holding some strange boys sweaty hand and skating around in circles....lol......Life was great back then..lol

also there was a disco club in East Islip in the shopping center where
applebees is now right on sunrise hwy....it was called Escapes.....I saw
"Expose" there.....Come go with me...yadayyyaaa come go with me....Your taking me.....to the point of no return.....oh oh ohhhh

Ok.....now I've put myself in a time warp.......
I remember going to many a birthday party at the Bay Shore Roller Rink. AND at Studio 109? (the roller skating rink/ice rink on 109 in Babylon)

Hmm. "Point of No Return" puts you in the late 80's. I remember getting dragged to a couple of those clubs to see the likes of them and Stevie B and all the other crappy disco music of 80's. There was another club in West Babylon that I saw "Rob Base & DJ Easy Rock" play at. It was a January (1988 or 1989?). I remember that because it was right around Martin Luther King day and there was a shooting at the club right as the music ended. That place cleared out fast.

[quote=LIcowgirl289;3971484....
Chevy's, the speedway...I remember that well. I'm still floored the Peter Pan Diner is still there just outside of Brightwaters...[/quote]

Wasn't Peter Pan the diner where Bay Shore Rd met the Sunrise Highway service road? Wow. I remember going there quite a bit as a kid.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMirto1 View Post
Do you remember billy blakes, buy the smithtown bull?
Never went to that one but frequented the one in West Babylon, Presently a Big Lots store.

Old 06-13-2009, 02:55 PM

11 posts, read 34,226 times
You never realize you have an accent until you leave

LOL!! I moved to the Syracuse area after going to nursing school in Brooklyn and Island Trees High School...when I moved to Syracuse I learned that I had an accent!! Never knew it before that!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island