Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2008, 08:09 PM

15 posts, read 80,308 times

Advertisements

Wow, I read this thread and it really brought back some memories. Growing up in "BRENTWOOD" when it was safe back then and not even looking back for just a moment till i had to google something on the island and found this site.I left the "wood" in 1987 and moved to texas for a year then off to south florida for these last 20 years and from what im reading S FL is just about the same as LI and im seriously thinking about going back to texas where people are friendly and have manors but i cannot forget where i come from but will never call it home EVER again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 12:09 PM

1 posts, read 8,467 times
All American! And the cheeseburger cheeseburger restaurant... How about skitching on montauk highway every winter, and your parents taking you sledding on the little hills by the offramps to sunrise hwy? And always, always "swimming between the flags" at jones beach?

Old 01-01-2009, 08:07 PM

2 posts, read 12,054 times
Or you actual derailed the train at the Hamburger Choo Choo

Old 01-01-2009, 09:11 PM

2 posts, read 12,680 times
Wow - lots of memories. Drinking and dancing at a place called Moonshadows, on Portion Road in Farmingville. Spending many, many nights at Bruno's in Ronkonkoma. The OLD Bruno's, before the rebuilding in '84-85. Then there was City Scenes ("Kiddy Scenes" - they let anybody in the door of that place...) on the Lake.

Remember the "old" A&P in downtown Ronkonkoma, and then the "new" A&P in the Gatelot Shopping Center? Also, the Gatelot Deli and Sara/Cara Pizza in that same shopping center. Downtown Lake Ronko had Tom's Stationary, Straub's Market, Yarlow's (sp? - a variety store), and Agnew & Taylor. I also remember Bohack's Supermarket. And my wife and I really miss H&H Bakery on Hawkins Ave.

The Grand Union shopping center on Portion Road had the Post Office, Buy-Rite Liquor, Liggett Rexall Drugs, Woolworths, Yang-?? Chinese food, Gino's Pizza, a butcher shop, the bowling alley (with the little one-room toy store at the top of the stairs) and, of course, the Ronkonkoma Arts Cinema ("Three Big Adults Hits Weekly"). Bought my very first pack of baseball cards at Rexall drugs in 1970.

The big news in Ronko was the Hardees, which became Roy Rogers, and now Wendy's. Jerry Lewis Cinema was a big deal - right next to Valley National Bank. The Grants/King Kullen Shopping Center included the Rite Aid where my good pal was Assistant Manager, and the Sachem Pub, which some drunk just about drove into one night.

On the way home from the new Smith Haven Mall, we'd stop at Wetsons, at Middle Country Rd and Hawkins Ave. (Remember those strange neon swimmers on the wall in the short stubby wing of the mall?) I bought a 23-channel CB radio at Lafayette Electronics in the shopping center at Hawkins and Middle Country, and shopped for graduation clothes with a bunch of guys at the Burlington Coat Factory.

I remember a garden supply place called Elwood Nursery in Centereach. In junior high, the cool place to go was the Liberty Diner on Middle Country Rd in Centereach. And I am old enough to remember the orginal McD's - with the walk-up window - on Middle Country just west of where Nichols Road now runs.

At one time I knew just about every employee at the Carvel on Portion Road. And about six of my buddies worked at the Bavarian Inn.

-- BF, Sachem '83

Last edited by n714da; 01-01-2009 at 09:55 PM..

Old 01-09-2009, 07:36 AM

1 posts, read 8,444 times
I left NY 3 years ago.. Grew up in East Meadow, went to Hofstra, and after I got married moved to Hampton bays then to Bridgehampton (my hubby's hometown).... I do miss it though... This thread brought back lots of wonderful memories.Things I miss (being long gone) are....
* Models in East Meadow (its where we got my dog that we had for 18 years).
* TTS (in Levittown).
* The JCPenney in Levittown (Hempstead Turnpike by the Tri-County - my communion dress came from there and they have like a Sesame street theme built into the basement where the kids stuff was).
* The nathan's in Levittown (many hours spent hanging out playing games there).
* The Holiday events they had at Flowertime in Levittown and Hicks in Westbury.
* The old Child World in Levittown (now a King Kullen) & the old toys R Us in Levittown.. the one with the hideous stripes and giant geoffrey head and the good stuff behind a glass surrounded counter (like games and cabbage patch kids).
* The old nassau Mall.... it had a great greasy spoon place that had italian ices and great fried stuff. there was a record store and V.I.M.
* I miss the open Broadway Mall....
* Anyone remember the offshoot of the Roosevelt field mall called "Le petit mall'? It had a sanrio store (hello kitty stuff), and a Baskin Robbins, and a Restaurant, a fabric place, a place to buy knick-knacks.....
* The bagel Nook(?) in Carle Place. It was on Old Country Road and Zeckendorf Blvd (right before the Wantagh). It had a Huge old bicycle from teh early 1900's?
* The Candy Store on Belmore Road right by Parkway Elementary...Seriously the list can go on... so much changed even while i was still living there.... And out east.... its ALL changed.... the hamptons have changed way too much!

Old 01-09-2009, 05:30 PM

19 posts, read 66,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LISkaGirl View Post
* Anyone remember the offshoot of the Roosevelt field mall called "Le petit mall'? It had a sanrio store (hello kitty stuff), and a Baskin Robbins, and a Restaurant, a fabric place, a place to buy knick-knacks.....
I do remember Le Petit Mall! My favorite store, Hanan Yarn, was there, and they had all kinds of needlework...this was before plastic canvases! There was a small jewelry shop and then the sanrio store. There was also a hair salon called the Cave, done in white (styrofoam?) fittings, so that it looked like a cave! That salon is up in the regular part of the Field now, called the Edge. I remember Bruckner's store, next to Alexander's on the first floor. I really miss Hanan Yarn!

Old 01-09-2009, 08:27 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,134,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n714da View Post
Wow - lots of memories. Drinking and dancing at a place called Moonshadows, on Portion Road in Farmingville. Spending many, many nights at Bruno's in Ronkonkoma. The OLD Bruno's, before the rebuilding in '84-85. Then there was City Scenes ("Kiddy Scenes" - they let anybody in the door of that place...) on the Lake.

Remember the "old" A&P in downtown Ronkonkoma, and then the "new" A&P in the Gatelot Shopping Center? Also, the Gatelot Deli and Sara/Cara Pizza in that same shopping center. Downtown Lake Ronko had Tom's Stationary, Straub's Market, Yarlow's (sp? - a variety store), and Agnew & Taylor. I also remember Bohack's Supermarket. And my wife and I really miss H&H Bakery on Hawkins Ave.

The Grand Union shopping center on Portion Road had the Post Office, Buy-Rite Liquor, Liggett Rexall Drugs, Woolworths, Yang-?? Chinese food, Gino's Pizza, a butcher shop, the bowling alley (with the little one-room toy store at the top of the stairs) and, of course, the Ronkonkoma Arts Cinema ("Three Big Adults Hits Weekly"). Bought my very first pack of baseball cards at Rexall drugs in 1970.

The big news in Ronko was the Hardees, which became Roy Rogers, and now Wendy's. Jerry Lewis Cinema was a big deal - right next to Valley National Bank. The Grants/King Kullen Shopping Center included the Rite Aid where my good pal was Assistant Manager, and the Sachem Pub, which some drunk just about drove into one night.

On the way home from the new Smith Haven Mall, we'd stop at Wetsons, at Middle Country Rd and Hawkins Ave. (Remember those strange neon swimmers on the wall in the short stubby wing of the mall?) I bought a 23-channel CB radio at Lafayette Electronics in the shopping center at Hawkins and Middle Country, and shopped for graduation clothes with a bunch of guys at the Burlington Coat Factory.

I remember a garden supply place called Elwood Nursery in Centereach. In junior high, the cool place to go was the Liberty Diner on Middle Country Rd in Centereach. And I am old enough to remember the orginal McD's - with the walk-up window - on Middle Country just west of where Nichols Road now runs.

At one time I knew just about every employee at the Carvel on Portion Road. And about six of my buddies worked at the Bavarian Inn.

-- BF, Sachem '83
I remember! I remember!

My Dad loved Bruno's and we went there a few times a month for 5 years! I can almost remember the waitress's name, I can picture her.

My favorite places were Anthony's (on Hawkins and Portion), wonder if it is still there? And Eddie's Pizza by A&P, greasiest pizza ever!

The movies were $1.50, and then OTB came.

Do you remember Henry the Hotdog Man??

(Sachem '89)

Old 01-09-2009, 08:49 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,165,351 times
Eddies is still there by King Kullen. If your talking about Anthonys pizza it is now Momma Mia's.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:55 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,134,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Eddies is still there by King Kullen. If your talking about Anthonys pizza it is now Momma Mia's.
yes, I meant KK!

Is Momma Mia's the same as Anthony's?? It was a few spaces S of Friendly's.

And is Strathmore's still on Portion?

Old 01-11-2009, 06:50 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,603,030 times
Default Could this thread be a sticky?

Moderator(s): Is there any chance of making this thread a sticky? Clearly it's very unique (should get a prize for pages and number of views, LOL!) and I'm sure that so many new C-D members either on or from Long Island would enjoy it... it'd be a shame if it ended up getting buried!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island