Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2008, 05:56 PM

1 posts, read 4,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippi1818 View Post
Gertz and TSS! The roller rink in Islip is still there, but it is just an empty building. The property is ZONED FOR A ROLLERRINK and until that zoning is changed the building will stay empty!! (I checked it out!)
After the Bayshore "Drive In'" closed does anyone remember the flea market there? Lots of junk...but fun for a new mom in Islip!
My Dad used to go every Sunday to the Flea Market. What I really miss from there are the Zeppoles? Does anyone remember those from that flea market? They were greasier than hell but with all that powdered sugar in the paper bag, nobody really gave a hoot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 08:57 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,147,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugBoy911 View Post
You know your on long island, when you leave in the morning, and once you jump on a main road ITS WAR!!!! KILL OR BE KILLED, or better YET SURVIVE OR BE KILLED!!!! ITS WAR ON THE ROAD ON LI!!!
It was a little hard to have that attitude crawling down Little East Neck road during rush hour.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:44 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,152,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineMami View Post
Squeeze played the Jones Beach Theater, and its management pushed the show to start early because it looked like it was going to rain. The opening band played a couple of songs and by the time Squeeze came out, it was pouring and the Theater refused to refund any tickets because it was already a half hour into the show.
HA! I was there too..I just saw Squeeze up in Dallas 2 weeks ago! They were/are still great.

Old 10-10-2008, 06:29 PM

12 posts, read 68,299 times
Default Roosevelt Raceway Flea Market

I went there with my friends or my sister for YEARS. You could buy anything from sweat socks to bedroom furniture there. I'll never forget the old man standing over the enormous pickle barrel, yelling, "Eat a pickle while you're walking, get a pickle on a stick!!!!" The place was enormous. I'd love to have something like that again.

Old 10-10-2008, 06:56 PM

571 posts, read 1,318,786 times
Ah! Yes! It seems like only yesterday: coming home from school only to face a stack of Newsday newspapers in my driveway that I had to deliver before 5 O'clock - rain or shine. Advertising inserts had to be put in the centerfold by hand and the color comics were on Saturday! No Sunday Newsday then! I had to deliver 42 papers a day and collect once a week by ringing a doorbell and waiting. They would come to the door and I would tell them collect, then wait again while they got their change. It was all of 35 cents a week and I usually got a 15 cent tip. However I got home late and in the dark in fall or winter.
Now that I live in New England I miss Carvel ice cream, delicatessens and bakeries - especially the German or Italian bakeries!

Old 10-18-2008, 09:41 AM

2 posts, read 8,750 times
Default Beefsteak Charlies

Coming soon to the sunrise mall where ruby tuesdays was. Just seen it yesterday. I seen some posts about beefsteak charlies so thought i would post this. Now all we need is a big barrys

Old 10-18-2008, 02:28 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,285,041 times
Coming soon to the sunrise mall where ruby tuesdays was. Just seen it yesterday. I seen some posts about beefsteak charlies so thought i would post this. Now all we need is a big barrys

Wow. That's a surprise. I didn't even know they were still in business. I'd rather have Big Barry's. I think.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 10-18-2008, 04:21 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,147,831 times
Barry's good old Shotgun Blast was almost as good as a time machine!

Old 10-18-2008, 04:33 PM

2 posts, read 8,750 times
Default I still have

2 of the Big Barry's Boot drinking glasses.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:26 PM

991 posts, read 4,619,198 times
Loved the tri county busy bee and the arean flea market in Commack. They have flea bags I mean flea markets in Florida OMG what a joke
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island