Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2016, 08:15 PM

5,296 posts, read 4,780,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Again, your source says salary alone is a 12 k difference between LI and NYC (69 v 81) Add to that the NYC free family medical, the 10 percent annuity yield, per session, and widespread and available summer school and the total compensation gap is essentially closed.

LI has teacher layoffs, NYC does not. ATR provides NYC teachers far superior job security v LI teachers.
LI Teachers are still compensated better overall, but NYC has certainly caught up over the years. It is much closer than it used to be. And very true about the layoffs, if you don't have the seniority on LI you can be excessed at the drop of a hat if the district runs into financial trouble as many LI teachers learned post 2008 crash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 04:51 AM

5,069 posts, read 3,967,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
LI Teachers are still compensated better overall, but NYC has certainly caught up over the years. It is much closer than it used to be. And very true about the layoffs, if you don't have the seniority on LI you can be excessed at the drop of a hat if the district runs into financial trouble as many LI teachers learned post 2008 crash.
Yeah I'd agree that the old narrative that LI teachers have much better compensation than NYC teachers needs to be changed. The new salary schedule, free family medical, and annuity are biggees in closing that former gap. My DOE friends hit pre-session pretty hard (and very available summer school gigs) to more than make up for any remaining differential.

And FYI many LI districts laid off teachers due to declining enrollment (and budget issues). Unlike NYC, there is no ATR pool. Job security for tenured teachers is much greater in NYC when layoffs occur.

Old 12-03-2016, 07:48 PM

48 posts, read 61,136 times
Taxes about to go up in GC.. feel awful for this guy

Ex-Corrections Officer Says Garden City Police Mistakenly Beat Him « CBS New York

Old 12-04-2016, 08:05 AM

22,681 posts, read 36,841,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcesUp View Post
So stupid. Why doesn't Lord and Taylor finally hire some security (story doesn't mention it but other news outlets complete the story, which is that the shoplifting suspect was fleeing L&T in GC, a scenario which happens about 100 times a week). That store has had the worst shoplifting problem for at least 20 years. GC police should have let it go when the guy left their jurisdiction. Bet they are wishing now they had.

Old 12-04-2016, 01:21 PM

20,100 posts, read 20,903,532 times
Why L & T? That store blows. All boring and lame over priced garbage.
Walmart has much cooler stuff. So does Taco Bell.
I just don't understand the love for L & T.

Old 12-20-2016, 08:35 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,799,559 times
Here's an interesting recent article that compares how well LI schools perform versus other highly rated schools in other states. It will leave you wondering what they do with all that money.

Taxing situation – Long Island Business News

Old 12-20-2016, 10:09 AM

19,260 posts, read 17,129,598 times
Nothing really new from the article most people are aware that quality school systems exist elsewhere and almost any location will have lower property taxes. Some believe that only those from LI schools are capable of succeeding but those same people thing that the civilized world ends on the other side of the Hudson River.

To your question, read through the previous postings and you will find that most people state the money is going to the teachers salaries/costs along with other public sector union positions that are bleeding the coffers dry.

Old 12-20-2016, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Nothing really new from the article most people are aware that quality school systems exist elsewhere and almost any location will have lower property taxes. Some believe that only those from LI schools are capable of succeeding but those same people thing that the civilized world ends on the other side of the Hudson River.

To your question, read through the previous postings and you will find that most people state the money is going to the teachers salaries/costs along with other public sector union positions that are bleeding the coffers dry.
Yes, I know this. Still, there are many apologists for the waste and overspending here. Mostly those feeding at the trough or their relatives.

This outlines clearly and decisively what the waste is doing to us, and shoots down anyone's argument that we get what we pay for here.

Old 12-20-2016, 11:20 AM

19,260 posts, read 17,129,598 times
/\

I won't argue anything you have said but what is going to change? Those who benefit don't want to, those in elected office (or appointed) don't want to and those living there either benefit or just accept it as the cost of "such a quality of life". Until you live elsewhere or at least realize that maybe it can be just as good somewhere else you will never try to implement change.

I guess its time for you consider moving...

Old 12-20-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
/\

I won't argue anything you have said but what is going to change? Those who benefit don't want to, those in elected office (or appointed) don't want to and those living there either benefit or just accept it as the cost of "such a quality of life". Until you live elsewhere or at least realize that maybe it can be just as good somewhere else you will never try to implement change.

I guess its time for you consider moving...
I am moving. Reinforcement on why it has to be done helps me stay motivated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island