Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2016, 07:31 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
Whats a living wage for a single person on LI? 60k would qualify one for a $1500 apt, not many of those around. I see job postings on LI for $15-20/hr requiring a bachelors degree. There are many professional jobs that dont pay a living wage on LI. If a livable, legal one bedroom apt is around $1700 at best then one needs to earn almost 70k just to qualify for basic housing.
Addressing the immigration issue will also drive housing prices down. Right now LI'ers are forced to compete with an inexhaustible supply of new arrivals at a variety of income levels. Want a middle class home in Hicksville? You have to compete with Indians. Have a bit more to spend? Indian professionals buying up New Hyde Park. Even more to spend? Have fun trying to buy in Jericho or Syosset when bidding against all-cash buyers from China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2016, 07:35 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,890,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Addressing the immigration issue will also drive housing prices down. Right now LI'ers are forced to compete with an inexhaustible supply of new arrivals at a variety of income levels. Want a middle class home in Hicksville? You have to compete with Indians. Have a bit more to spend? Indian professionals buying up New Hyde Park. Even more to spend? Have fun trying to buy in Jericho or Syosset when bidding against all-cash buyers from China.
Are you insinuating these immigrants are illegal? Do you think any homeowners want housing prices to go down?

Old 09-19-2016, 11:55 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,208,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
You can not place Stony Brook in the same category. We aren't dealing with gangs killing children in the street, illegal immigrants loitering on corners, homes occupied by dozens of day laborers, more homes owned by absentee landlords than owner-occupied , Section 8, social welfare cases dumped, high numbers of ESL, high numbers of free lunch qualifiers, etc.
Agree. Which is why I did say college students rent the illegal housing/rooms. And that SB is still great.

Old 09-19-2016, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
Yeah thanks. He sent me a different link after I posted this . The one he sent me said clearly Suffolk was made total Sanctuary County last week. And Nassau was made Sanctuary County in May. LI is pretty much screwed now from how I see it as a whole. While these dates do say 10/13/15. He told me it was really not known & being practiced until just last week for Suffolk & for Nassau in May...formally. Might be behind reason for recent rash of crimes we have been seeing now.Just in past few weeks alone by Gangs & Illegals. This is pathetic. And after what happened with the 3 bombings over the weekend I think we need to develop a ZERO TOLERANCE law.

And if things continue to get worse as the election nears in 7 weeks I think many people that now hate Trump & are voting for Killary LOL...might switch over based on his stance on this topic alone. No matter how much they hate him for the other things he has said. How are we really suppose to tell between the good & the bad ones?? Honestly. What he sent me is in confidence. Would have to ask him for permission to share. But doubt he will allow me. But he does have a link on that he did made public the other day. I will locate that tomorrow & share that here.

Last edited by loribell38; 09-20-2016 at 12:09 AM..

Old 09-20-2016, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
So Suffolk and Nassau have decided to not uphold the law? Awesome.
Pretty much!

Old 09-20-2016, 12:22 AM

I will add this one thing. Which says quite a lot about what is happening right now on LI. There is a drastic increase right now of illegals & young "pregnant" Hispanic females searching for cheap rooms to rent on LI. I know this for a fact. Not guessing here at all. Anyone that wants to know how I know this for a fact can PM me. I am being asked to help curb this in sense. Have been doing it for a while now. And see the people that are looking for cheap rooms for rent has gone up drastically in just the last few weeks alone.

Their only options for getting a rental are rooms. Because for the most part they know what they are doing. They know for rooms they are CASH only. And they are the least to even ask renters for any ID or paperwork.All they need to do is hand over cash & room is theirs. Like they would not have to prove good credit,no background checks.So no one can track where they are living! These people do not have SS numbers! So they can not get any traditional rentals. They know most Landlords will want to fully vet any tenant. They seek out illegal rooming homes. They live like that in the Country they come from anyway.They come here they claim for a better life. But they just bring the same traditions from their country to here. Joining Gangs/Drugs & they can't get jobs. So to make money they steal cars & post them on Craigslist & the many FB Buy/Sell Car groups. Take a moment if you are on FB & look at those Buy/Sell groups. Especially the CAR ones. Look at the posts there. And who is posting them & some of the fake names these people use! The Thug life. So they are used to that kind of living arrangement already. So it does not bother them at all. And some are even so bold as to request apt for rent for $500. They lie & say it is just them in the hopes someone will fall for it. Then they move in....kids...other illegals in tow. And pets....OH by the way. Mostly restricted breed of dogs. I am seeing this now everyday with work I am doing. Strictly volunteer but very eye opening as to where LI is heading. And fast.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
Whats a living wage for a single person on LI? 60k would qualify one for a $1500 apt, not many of those around. I see job postings on LI for $15-20/hr requiring a bachelors degree. There are many professional jobs that dont pay a living wage on LI. If a livable, legal one bedroom apt is around $1700 at best then one needs to earn almost 70k just to qualify for basic housing.
Decent apt rental start at around $1400 month & note they are pretty much all illegal apts. And most not very nice & in bad areas.And they say 1 person. No kids or pets. But I can tell you for sure the many people that can not find affordable housing are desperate. They are able to rent rooms for around $800 or so a month. But JUST a room. And just 1 person & you live with other strangers that are renting rooms as well.So no privacy & the other house guests STEAL from others. Trust me this just happened to someone. Then they sell the stuff they steal on the streets & online in FB Buy/Sell groups. Posting pics & all. Bold.Homeowners are doing this more often now on LI than ever. As they need those extra $$ to keep from losing their homes. Thanks to our high COL. But you are 100% right. Legal 1 BR starts at at least 1700. Then you have to pay utilities on your own. The many illegal apts include all in rent price as they can't add extra meter for an illegal apt. Which is why landlords for many illegal apts say just 1 person or no to kids. They want a tenant that is NOT home at all. So they will use less utilities. Since that eats into their profit.

Old 09-20-2016, 03:29 AM

48 posts, read 61,103 times
Quote:
sounds eerily similar to the entitled millennial in SF and NYC who blames unaffordable housing on certain factors other than themselves. What will the excuses and complaints be when immigrants take the white shoe law firm jobs or the investment banking jobs?

Last edited by AcesUp; 09-20-2016 at 03:43 AM..

Old 09-20-2016, 04:15 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,146,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
Are you insinuating these immigrants are illegal? Do you think any homeowners want housing prices to go down?
As long as the homeowner/landlord is making money on rent by packing the house with multiple families or men they don't really care what the value of the house is.

Old 09-20-2016, 04:25 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,146,742 times
Quote:
It's funny, but my Indian friends down here all hire Spanish speaking gentlemen to do their yard work. Most Indians don't grow up taking care of a lawn or gardening or even doing home repairs themselves. As my friend Raj says, it's just not in their culture. So I can see where there are more Indians, more Spanish speaking manual laborers needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island