Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2016, 02:01 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,798,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
It has nothing to do with the number of districts and everything to do with public-sector collective bargaining that saw tremendous benefits coupled with good compensation gifted to its employees. 124 superintendents making on average around $250,000 each doesn't move the needle when spread across the 7.6 million people who live on LI.
COUGH-COUGH, what?

Each of 124 district has supers, assistant supers, support staff, yada yada that have multiplied like bunnies. Each one of the supers rakes in a six-figure salary, benefits, six figure pension, district-paid car and health care for life. One super has to cost each district at least $750K a year. Spread that across LI and we're all getting needled for sure.

It's that and the bargaining. LI's problems have multiple causes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2016, 03:38 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,591,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
COUGH-COUGH, what?

Each of 124 district has supers, assistant supers, support staff, yada yada that have multiplied like bunnies. Each one of the supers rakes in a six-figure salary, benefits, six figure pension, district-paid car and health care for life. One super has to cost each district at least $750K a year. Spread that across LI and we're all getting needled for sure.

The consolidation of districts would not materially change the number of people required to maintain the school buildings (the number of which would be a constant) or employees needed to staff them. Even though your description of benefits is a wild exaggeration, I did point out in my post that the benefits, not the lack of consolidation, was the primary issue.

Old 11-17-2016, 07:38 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,760,601 times
None of that would lower taxes. Our public workers (all of them ) plus private sector workers who get gov contracts (roads, utilities yada yada yada ) all get paid very well compared to the rest of the country. We all have friends and family that benefit from that. Nobody is going to cut those salaries so PAY UP!!!! Lol. Pay that 70k school custodian. Pay 100 bucks an hour for snow removal. Pay up!!!!! Your husband, wife or kid needs the paycheck.

Old 11-18-2016, 06:58 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,968,226 times
If you dont take advantage of a high public salary/benefits or a very high manhattan salary then if you want to stay on LI you just have to accept you are getting ripped off in taxes and it will really affect your ability to save, retire and live an adequate lifestyle. Makes no financial sense for the 65k accountant on LI to stay but people have families, friends and other attachments that keep them on LI and just have deal with the outrageous taxes.

Old 11-18-2016, 02:56 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,892,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
None of that would lower taxes. Our public workers (all of them ) plus private sector workers who get gov contracts (roads, utilities yada yada yada ) all get paid very well compared to the rest of the country. We all have friends and family that benefit from that. Nobody is going to cut those salaries so PAY UP!!!! Lol. Pay that 70k school custodian. Pay 100 bucks an hour for snow removal. Pay up!!!!! Your husband, wife or kid needs the paycheck.
Your sentiment seems to be that we should just keep paying them. What? Why? I have relatives but that alone doesn't mean they should make that at everyone else's considerable expense. With a voluntarily chosen profession, they serve the public - it should not be the other way around.

I'm happy for anyone who does well on their own, but don't think it's ok to do it at my expense when I've worked just as hard, if not harder. F that noise.

Old 11-18-2016, 03:46 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,591,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Your sentiment seems to be that we should just keep paying them. What? Why? I have relatives but that alone doesn't mean they should make that at everyone else's considerable expense. With a voluntarily chosen profession, they serve the public - it should not be the other way around.

I'm happy for anyone who does well on their own, but don't think it's ok to do it at my expense when I've worked just as hard, if not harder. F that noise.
Most of the people with great packages are retired or have seniority. They are contractually entitled to the compensation, right or wrong. The newer people don't get nearly as good of packages. So, yes, you have to keep paying them.

Old 11-18-2016, 03:57 PM

731 posts, read 725,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
COUGH-COUGH, what?

Each of 124 district has supers, assistant supers, support staff, yada yada that have multiplied like bunnies. Each one of the supers rakes in a six-figure salary (Blame your BOE's..they sign contracts), benefits, six figure pension (EARNED), district-paid car(WRONG_ILLEGAL since 1990s) and health care for life (WRONG..until Medicare kicks in). One super has to cost each district at least $750K a year(again...blame BOE for signing contract) Spread that across LI and we're all getting needled for sure.

I smell Jealousy Pie.....mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Old 11-18-2016, 04:00 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,798,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChalkItUp View Post
I smell Jealousy Pie.....mmmmmmmmmmmmm
No, you're smelling getting the fug out of here pie.

Old 11-20-2016, 06:52 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,892,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Most of the people with great packages are retired or have seniority. They are contractually entitled to the compensation, right or wrong. The newer people don't get nearly as good of packages. So, yes, you have to keep paying them.
Along with this statement, they make it sound like their pay is just and we should just continue.
Quote:
Cops and teachers and admins are doing great. We shouldnt knock them for being smart enough to be employed.
I'm curious to know what % is actually "newer people". The way the profession goes... or rather... stays.

As for new people - starting out at $80k+ in a poor-performing district is hardly a bad package. Ask me how I know. I can only guess where that ceiling is. We're still talking about teachers here, compared with other high-paying vocations requiring skill or business sense which generates revenue & profit. Self-sustaining.

Last edited by ovi8; 11-20-2016 at 07:09 PM..

Old 11-21-2016, 09:30 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,332,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Along with this statement, they make it sound like their pay is just and we should just continue.

I'm curious to know what % is actually "newer people". The way the profession goes... or rather... stays.

As for new people - starting out at $80k+ in a poor-performing district is hardly a bad package. Ask me how I know. I can only guess where that ceiling is. We're still talking about teachers here, compared with other high-paying vocations requiring skill or business sense which generates revenue & profit. Self-sustaining.
New teachers are not making 80k. I know a 3rd yr teacher in a high performing district making 75k and the person was a TA for 5 years in that district first. Another person I know is making 130k after 17yrs in what is a top 5 if not top 3 district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island