Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2016, 09:59 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,828,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
New teachers are not making 80k. I know a 3rd yr teacher in a high performing district making 75k and the person was a TA for 5 years in that district first. Another person I know is making 130k after 17yrs in what is a top 5 if not top 3 district.
Yes and acclaimed teacher's in NYC are making that $75k with 15-20 yrs in. I realize NYC is not known for a high cost of living or anything but still, they make half what their PROFESSIONAL (they love that word) counterparts make 20 miles down the road?! THAT is the problem. The compensation on LI and in Westchester are pipe dream collective bargaining lottery wins that weak brained politicos let get embedded in the state constitution. It's a crippling thumb on the back of developing industry, young family home ownership and avoiding the youth talent exodus and brain drain that further perpetuates the downward mobility offered by the jobs that remain. Basically, it's unsustainable Ponzi BS. But one thing LI'ers are good at is sustaining the unsubstainable...at least until they leave the keys on the counter and run south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2016, 10:45 AM

633 posts, read 582,386 times
Wait till Jan 2018 when every home in Nassau County is reassessed. That assessment will first show up in the 10-2020 school tax bill. Anyone who bought a low taxed house at a high price in last year or two bend over.

Old 11-21-2016, 11:15 AM

34,104 posts, read 47,331,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Yes and acclaimed teacher's in NYC are making that $75k with 15-20 yrs in. I realize NYC is not known for a high cost of living or anything but still, they make half what their PROFESSIONAL (they love that word) counterparts make 20 miles down the road?! THAT is the problem. The compensation on LI and in Westchester are pipe dream collective bargaining lottery wins that weak brained politicos let get embedded in the state constitution. It's a crippling thumb on the back of developing industry, young family home ownership and avoiding the youth talent exodus and brain drain that further perpetuates the downward mobility offered by the jobs that remain. Basically, it's unsustainable Ponzi BS. But one thing LI'ers are good at is sustaining the unsubstainable...at least until they leave the keys on the counter and run south.
Great post. I gave Reps.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-21-2016, 11:47 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,736,530 times
Quote:
New teachers are not making 80k. I know a 3rd yr teacher in a high performing district making 75k and the person was a TA for 5 years in that district first. Another person I know is making 130k after 17yrs in what is a top 5 if not top 3 district.
That's what they're making, but what about the cost (to the taxpayers) of their medical. dental, and retirement?

Old 11-21-2016, 12:13 PM

2,686 posts, read 2,333,614 times
Quote:
The newest contract for NYC teachers is very good when it peaks in June 2018. 10yrs and 30+ credits are making 95k and getting free health insurance. 30+ is a joke, it costs 3k and takes a year and less than 30 hours. The city jobs are even better at this point than LI, almost no chance of a layoffs, if you get let go and are tenured you still get paid. They have this thing called a fixed rate annuity. Return on 10k a year for 30 years and you are over a million in cash at 52-55 yrs old plus the pension. The city has the funds unlike LI with our 130+ districts. We need to trim the fat with administrators and not cave to these weak ass unions. LI teacher unions are a joke and should not be taken seriously yet the boards buckle under there demands. They are not the 200k+ member uft, educating the nations largest district of 1mm+ kids. These teachers have no bargaining power, they want more $ if we fired 20 teachers at 130k they could replace them with someone just as willing for 80k in a week. Even though my wife is a teacher and we benefit from it, each year we still vote no to our district.

Old 11-21-2016, 03:29 PM

5,058 posts, read 3,962,017 times
Quote:
The newest contract for NYC teachers is very good when it peaks in June 2018. 10yrs and 30+ credits are making 95k and getting free health insurance. 30+ is a joke, it costs 3k and takes a year and less than 30 hours. The city jobs are even better at this point than LI, almost no chance of a layoffs, if you get let go and are tenured you still get paid. They have this thing called a fixed rate annuity. Return on 10k a year for 30 years and you are over a million in cash at 52-55 yrs old plus the pension. The city has the funds unlike LI with our 130+ districts. We need to trim the fat with administrators and not cave to these weak ass unions. LI teacher unions are a joke and should not be taken seriously yet the boards buckle under there demands. They are not the 200k+ member uft, educating the nations largest district of 1mm+ kids. These teachers have no bargaining power, they want more $ if we fired 20 teachers at 130k they could replace them with someone just as willing for 80k in a week. Even though my wife is a teacher and we benefit from it, each year we still vote no to our district.
Yeah, I thought it was pretty common knowledge that city teachers' compensation (when you factor in the 10% annuity and free family medical) is about the same as Long Island. And given the availability of per session and summer school in NYC, it is often superior.

Don't see any reduction in costs for NYC and LI schools in the future.

Old 11-21-2016, 03:58 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,828,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Yeah, I thought it was pretty common knowledge that city teachers' compensation (when you factor in the 10% annuity and free family medical) is about the same as Long Island. And given the availability of per session and summer school in NYC, it is often superior.

Don't see any reduction in costs for NYC and LI schools in the future.
Fantasyland.

LI #1 w/ a bullet
Westchester #2
NYC a distant #3.

No NYC benefits are so silver lined that they top even the most basic LI District union's deal. And they hand out tenure around here like it's candy on Halloween, including to admins.

http://www.ilr.cornell.edu/sites/ilr...ber%202013.pdf

Old 11-21-2016, 04:46 PM

556 posts, read 623,195 times
My wife is a retired LI teacher. She maxed out her pay at 90 grand and did not get a raise for about 4/5 years. When she was on her late 50's and thinking of retirement they offered an incentive but she had only two weeks to decide( and was pressured). She was in a quandary. I helped her out by simply asking her " are the union officials (with the easy jobs) taking it?" The answer was no. They pressured her to take the package but didn't take it themselves! Humm something is wrong here. She didn't take the package. Next year she got a raise of over 10%. She worked for 3 more years before retiring and her pension was much better. She still refuses to believe that the union representatives knew about the upcoming raise. These are the same representatives that pressured her to make calls for Hillary in her first presidential run. My wife is a wonderful women but her only interest was teaching. She was so naive.

Old 11-21-2016, 05:11 PM

5,058 posts, read 3,962,017 times
Quote:
Fantasyland.

LI #1 w/ a bullet
Westchester #2
NYC a distant #3.

No NYC benefits are so silver lined that they top even the most basic LI District union's deal. And they hand out tenure around here like it's candy on Halloween, including to admins.

http://www.ilr.cornell.edu/sites/ilr...ber%202013.pdf
Again, your source says salary alone is a 12 k difference between LI and NYC (69 v 81) Add to that the NYC free family medical, the 10 percent annuity yield, per session, and widespread and available summer school and the total compensation gap is essentially closed.

LI has teacher layoffs, NYC does not. ATR provides NYC teachers far superior job security v LI teachers.

Old 11-21-2016, 07:31 PM

2,686 posts, read 2,333,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Again, your source says salary alone is a 12 k difference between LI and NYC (69 v 81) Add to that the NYC free family medical, the 10 percent annuity yield, per session, and widespread and available summer school and the total compensation gap is essentially closed.

LI has teacher layoffs, NYC does not. ATR provides NYC teachers far superior job security v LI teachers.
The annuity is now 7% any one that had 10% has it for life. The TDA is probably the only investment on earth that is guaranteed 7-10% a year and can never loose money. LI teachers do make more the DOE offers superior benefits. Ultimately public pensions are out of control and need to be contained I would have to think a tier 7 pension will be coming soon further reducing the benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island