Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2016, 10:00 AM

3,519 posts, read 2,825,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
But again, what you are saying, unfortuantely, does not apply to my field. My field is based almost entirely on government contracts. They tend to value money over quality, so they often choose a low bidder, even when not required to do so. So a civil engineering firm that charges their clients a lot will be out of business quickly. In fact, some very large firms in the city bid on projects at a loss, just to keep smaller firms from winning them. Those projects are then worked on by salaried staff on weekends and holidays.

Since you realize that what you say doesn't apply to me, why do you keep trying to pressure me into taking a job in NYC. Why do you have such a problem with me choosing to work on Long Island? How does my decision to work on Long Island affect you in any way?

My job on Long Island pays far more than $70k. A job in my field at my level in NYC would not pay $150k, nor anywhere near it. So, I am not suffering the penalty that you keep talking about. On the other hand, if my job on LI did pay only $70k, and if I could make $150k working 9 to 5 Mon-Fri only in NYC, I would consider the NYC job. But since my LI job pays far more than $70k, and a NYC job would pay far less than $150k while requiring far longer hours (in addition to a longer commute), I see no reason to take a job in NYC. Why can't you understand that?

I have no need to job hunt in the city. I am basing what I say on people that I know who work in NYC.
But you are paying a penalty. How much would you make in Dallas? Atlanta? Indianapolis? Opportunity cost is the penalty. There are places where you can make as much as or more money than you can on LI for the same work, while the CoL is around the national average. You are paying more for LI and have less money in your pocket for other things at the end of the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2016, 10:14 AM

6,385 posts, read 13,172,764 times
^^ He would make as much $ or more in those cities. But the fact that he can make that ON LI and NOT go into a major city is where he sees it as a win win.

Old 12-30-2016, 10:29 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,060,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
But you are paying a penalty. How much would you make in Dallas? Atlanta? Indianapolis? Opportunity cost is the penalty. There are places where you can make as much as or more money than you can on LI for the same work, while the CoL is around the national average. You are paying more for LI and have less money in your pocket for other things at the end of the day.
No, I would make far less in Dallas, Atlanta, or Indianapolis than I make on Long Island, if I was able to find a job at all in my field in those areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
^^ He would make as much $ or more in those cities. But the fact that he can make that ON LI and NOT go into a major city is where he sees it as a win win.
No, I would probably not be able to get a job at all in those cities, and if I did, it would pay less than my job on LI.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
No, I would make far less in Dallas, Atlanta, or Indianapolis than I make on Long Island, if I was able to find a job at all in my field in those areas.

No, I would probably not be able to get a job at all in those cities, and if I did, it would pay less than my job on LI.
Does LI hold some special grasp on your field? You mostly find that people who work in very special fields could only work in NYC, LA, etc..., tier 1 cities.

Old 12-30-2016, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Does LI hold some special grasp on your field? You mostly find that people who work in very special fields could only work in NYC, LA, etc..., tier 1 cities.
Most jobs in my field are in NYC.

Old 12-30-2016, 12:40 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,154,368 times
Deja Vu all over again.

Old 12-30-2016, 01:23 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,902,468 times
Quote:
Since you realize that what you say doesn't apply to me, why do you keep trying to pressure me into taking a job in NYC. Why do you have such a problem with me choosing to work on Long Island? How does my decision to work on Long Island affect you in any way?
_I_ said no such thing about you having to look into NYC for a job. The problem is you pigeon-hole everybody else who does into your unfounded beliefs, over and over. Then you somehow throw yourself into the position as if I put you there and get defensive about it. It's quite remarkable. I'm asking why you keep putting everybody else in the same shoes if you know not everything applies to everybody.

Quote:
My job on Long Island pays far more than $70k. A job in my field at my level in NYC would not pay $150k, nor anywhere near it. So, I am not suffering the penalty that you keep talking about. On the other hand, if my job on LI did pay only $70k, and if I could make $150k working 9 to 5 Mon-Fri only in NYC, I would consider the NYC job. But since my LI job pays far more than $70k, and a NYC job would pay far less than $150k while requiring far longer hours (in addition to a longer commute), I see no reason to take a job in NYC. Why can't you understand that?
NONE OF THAT WAS ABOUT YOU. It's about other people's reasoning for doing it. Why can't you understand that?

Old 12-30-2016, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Most jobs in my field are in NYC.
I forget if you mentioned previously your field of endeavor. Is that network television executive or news anchor? I'm wondering what kinds of jobs are mostly only in NYC or Suffolk County or only pay well in those two areas.

Old 12-30-2016, 06:44 PM

Quote:
I forget if you mentioned previously your field of endeavor. Is that network television executive or news anchor? I'm wondering what kinds of jobs are mostly only in NYC or Suffolk County or only pay well in those two areas.
Civil Engineering. More specifically, Traffic Engineering, which some people do not even consider to be a branch of Civil Engineering.

Old 12-30-2016, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Civil Engineering. More specifically, Traffic Engineering, which some people do not even consider to be a branch of Civil Engineering.
So nowhere else in the country has Traffic/Transportation Civil Engineers but NYC and Suffolk County?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island