Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2016, 09:12 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,890,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Whitey?

Just wondering, won't all these new people who are replacing the old guard also have to pay the high taxes?
Yes.

Of course. Just as its been for the last 40 years or more specifically speaking to my comment, just like it's been in certain areas for the last 10-15 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2016, 07:34 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,826,422 times
Taxpayers are fleeing New York in droves | New York Post

Old 09-17-2016, 08:21 PM

5,057 posts, read 3,957,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post

"New York has been leading the nation in domestic migration for decades,” Wendell Cox, who co-authored the study, told the Albany Times Union."

"While New York’s population is still growing, in part because of immigration,..."

“There are many reasons people choose to leave New York state, just as there are many reasons people choose to come to New York state,” Deutsch insisted. “To suggest migration is based on high taxation is pure speculation.”

Old 09-17-2016, 08:51 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Whitey?

Just wondering, won't all these new people who are replacing the old guard also have to pay the high taxes?
Yes, but they'll pack 10 people into a house designed for 4, or get payments from family back in their countries of origin, to offset it. Same reason why most convenience stores aren't run by "whitey" anymore.

Old 09-17-2016, 10:30 PM

20,049 posts, read 20,861,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Yes, but they'll pack 10 people into a house designed for 4, or get payments from family back in their countries of origin, to offset it. Same reason why most convenience stores aren't run by "whitey" anymore.
According to the census, those convenience store guys are "whitey".
I think they are looking to change that though.

Old 09-18-2016, 01:55 AM

2,033 posts, read 3,208,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
This same type of article has been done going back more than 3 decades. See them all the time. Nothing really new here. People have been fleeing LI for many decades COL here has been high for years. And always has been getting worse & worse. But honestly right now.....it is the worst it has ever been. But not just talking about taxes & COL anymore here. LI right now is very bad. Can't even bother to look at news anymore. Nothing good is ever said. More bad crap everyday. Hopefully the part I am referring to here. Will CHANGE soon. Which if anyone in this thread still lives here NOW know exactly what I am referring to here.

It is evident to me since I was asked to kind of volunteer doing something I used to do for a living.Fraud investigation. And right now there is a very MASSIVE influx of very young females looking for rooms to rent for very little $$...some even saying they can only afford $100 month! They have no jobs,no credit,no SS#. They are not legal residents & have NO ID to show. Many have no place else to live & are homeless. Many are also pregnant. I can add this...they are sort of Anchor Babies as the term goes. We all know that renting rooms is illegal to do. Look at places like Stony Brook & obviously from another member we all know what part of Westbury & New Cassel has turned into. If this continues it will only take over more LI towns.

Then also there are tons of Hispanic young males also searching for ROOMS only for rent as well. Same thing. They have NO other options. Basically they are hoping someone will bite & rent room to them without asking for any IDENTIFICATION at all. Obviously they do get people willing to do this! Many times they fall into a scammer pretty much. Right now scammers are taking over vacant homes & staging it to show to groups of people all at one time. Taking their cash deposits & running.

So it is not just taxes killing LI right now.

Last edited by loribell38; 09-18-2016 at 02:04 AM..

Old 09-18-2016, 06:02 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,146,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Last time up I had to laugh when I went to gas up my car there and for some reason took three guys of certain origin to do what I do myself, and took them twice as long.

Old 09-18-2016, 06:05 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,146,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
This same type of article has been done going back more than 3 decades. See them all the time. Nothing really new here. People have been fleeing LI for many decades COL here has been high for years. And always has been getting worse & worse. But honestly right now.....it is the worst it has ever been. But not just talking about taxes & COL anymore here. LI right now is very bad. Can't even bother to look at news anymore. Nothing good is ever said. More bad crap everyday. Hopefully the part I am referring to here. Will CHANGE soon. Which if anyone in this thread still lives here NOW know exactly what I am referring to here.

It is evident to me since I was asked to kind of volunteer doing something I used to do for a living.Fraud investigation. And right now there is a very MASSIVE influx of very young females looking for rooms to rent for very little $$...some even saying they can only afford $100 month! They have no jobs,no credit,no SS#. They are not legal residents & have NO ID to show. Many have no place else to live & are homeless. Many are also pregnant. I can add this...they are sort of Anchor Babies as the term goes. We all know that renting rooms is illegal to do. Look at places like Stony Brook & obviously from another member we all know what part of Westbury & New Cassel has turned into. If this continues it will only take over more LI towns.

Then also there are tons of Hispanic young males also searching for ROOMS only for rent as well. Same thing. They have NO other options. Basically they are hoping someone will bite & rent room to them without asking for any IDENTIFICATION at all. Obviously they do get people willing to do this! Many times they fall into a scammer pretty much. Right now scammers are taking over vacant homes & staging it to show to groups of people all at one time. Taking their cash deposits & running.

So it is not just taxes killing LI right now.
You're right, this has been going on since at least the 80's. We were looking at a house in Deer Park but found out that the houses were being bought by one "family" but used by several. I guess now it's spread to where it's more obvious.

Old 09-18-2016, 06:21 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
How can LI be "getting worse" with "nothing good" ever happening? Great neck, Syosset, and 3V each had more than a dozen national merit semifinalists! (more than 2 dozen for great neck).

Old 09-18-2016, 07:04 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,826,422 times
Downturns don't happen in real time. They creep up slowly.

Nassau population from 2000-2010 increased .5% (half of ONE percent). That's called gravely low growth. Anemic. China would be forcing people to have kids. Anything less than 2.5% is alarming economically. Suffolk rose 5.8%. I don't think it's all CSH research scientists. I think it may be more of what LORIBELL was talking about. Not a sign of positive demographic change.

Median income for ALL but the top 10% are flat since 2011 or falling (bottom 10% incomes have fallen 19%). Median income for the top 10% has risen 5.4%. The middle class is becoming the lower middle class. That's a fact. Not exclusive to Long Island, but more injurious due to the high COL. This during a MASSIVE national economic and Wall St boom. We should be up no less than 5% across the board. Instead we have declining incomes and a housing bubble. Instead of an exploding economy and jobs, we just cleared out bankruptcies and foreclosures and are wheeling and dealing houses...and nothing else. Total household indebtedness in NYS is $12.25 TRILLION. LI's economy is built on mud and sticks. One good rain and we're in trouble again.

High taxes and high COL are the NUMBER ONE reason middle income families claim as a reason for leaving. 2nd is lack of affordable housing. 3rd is lack of job opportunities that support the high cost of housing. So they aren't leaving because of the Islanders, and when that paid Albany think tank weenie claims "To suggest migration is based on high taxation is pure speculation" can cash his paycheck and take a hot shower to wash off the paid stink. Every economist and village idiot knows taxes drive off business or force us to cut abatement deals to keep the jobs and the taxpayers pick up the difference in lost tax revenue (base). Taxes increase beyond a certain equilibrium, jobs leave, income falls, people leave. Jr. High business class can explain it just as simply. Anyone who lives here isn't speculating. We know where our neighbors moved to. We're checking the Zillows down there. We're hitting the other state CD forums to get some perspective. We're not so much doubling down on LI, unless we have to. Even contented LIers keep their ears open for exit plans. It's the new normal. As soon as home prices uptick, the lawn signs come out of the garage!!

Add in the $28 billion deficit in what LIers pay in tax to NYS and USA and don't get back in services and we grovel for addl school aid to pay the ponzi class's benefits.

Manufacturing continues to decline, replaced by franchises (see Newsday today), retail and service jobs. Maybe that's why LORIBELL's post rings so accurate. Wait till the next LIA report at the end of the decade. Income numbers will be alarming to say the least. Simple math. Replace $60k jobs with $30k jobs and incomes decline. They may be willing keep feeding the tax system, but will they be ABLE to?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island