Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2016, 09:13 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,891,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
But see, NOW you defended YOUR OWN personal position and I totally respect that. What you did before was defend an untenable position and try to guilt us into buying it. You made a lucky career choice. Good for you. Doesn't mean the system isn't screwed. My wife and I were scribbling notes to each other during open house at the school "where the F did we go wrong?!", "who knew?", "can you believe THIS dullard makes $126k to teach how to glue popsicle sticks?!" "we blew it!!" "Us and our stupid graduate degrees" (we were stupid enough to pay for ourselves, no free grad tuition for us like every teacher gets)...that sort of thing. We have a decent life. We can laugh about it. Doesn't make it funny, though. Some people can't make it and it's MORE burden on the taxpayers who barely can to support them. Telling people to "leave if you don't like it" proves you're an entitled, ingrate whiner. They leave, the REST OF US make up the tax base to cover your "entitlement." It doesn't come from the union. It comes from the rest of us. We all work hard, dude. Not just you. You're welcome.

Doesn't change a THING about ANYTHING I wrote, except you now ACKNOWLDGE that the compensation is egregious (its also unsustainable)...but lucky for him what got it and F the rest! Lovely. You're dismissed.
The only way it doesn't sustain is if people stop paying. If people stop paying everyone and every property is affected. I don't foresee it happening in my lifetime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 09:23 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,798,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm3846 View Post
...you have wall street ripping you a new *******, while they earn millions over millions, and politicians buying third homes in the hamptons.
Wall St. is the old standby boogieman in all arguments from them. The union tarts up CEO pay and points fingers at Wall Street to defend this public sector usury.

If not for Wall Street and NYC salaries this place would have no viable economy. LI's shark jumped when Grumman left, in case you didn't notice. A NYC recession would be an unmitigated disaster for LI and local budgets slashed. Inevitably a correction will happen and there will be consolidation/cutbacks/heads rolling.

You may not be affected personally, but it will be ugly.

You can use whatever arguments you like to justify the pay and benefits, but the numbers don't support your arguments. Thousands of angry, broke taxpayers mingling with rich cops and teachers is a bad mix. Arguing with me is pointless as it's all in the math. The economy is not what it used to be, and this is unsustainable.

I'm actually leaving here while we're in a r.e. bubble, and not posting on a hot platform. Thanks to the internet I work virtually and can live anywhere I want. Wall Street has also been shifting more backroom jobs to cheaper areas, and slowly shrinking the NY metro employment base.

This is a red flag for the rich public sector. Be worried. A correction is looming.

Last edited by manekeniko; 09-14-2016 at 09:33 AM..

Old 09-14-2016, 09:37 AM

8,697 posts, read 11,089,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
When I told one of them that our teacher salaries are $120k, her reaction was telling. Meanwhile, a random teacher in underwhelming friggin Central Islip also makes $120k.
I get that look too when I tell several people I know who are not from NY...esp. people who are in the teaching profession.

As I noted here on the forum once, a vast majority of teachers in my SD crank out over 100k. Its all public information. I have a few relatives who are also teachers in the NYC SD....they also pull quite well doing side jobs tutoring....and a few grand more for the extracurricular activities.

Old 09-14-2016, 10:01 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,827,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
Wall St. is the old standby boogieman in all arguments from them. The union tarts up CEO pay and points fingers at Wall Street to defend this public sector usury.

If not for Wall Street and NYC salaries this place would have no viable economy. LI's shark jumped when Grumman left, in case you didn't notice. A NYC recession would be an unmitigated disaster for LI and local budgets slashed. Inevitably a correction will happen and there will be consolidation/cutbacks/heads rolling.

You may not be affected personally, but it will be ugly.

You can use whatever arguments you like to justify the pay and benefits, but the numbers don't support your arguments. Thousands of angry, broke taxpayers mingling with rich cops and teachers is a bad mix. Arguing with me is pointless as it's all in the math. The economy is not what it used to be, and this is unsustainable.

I'm actually leaving here while we're in a r.e. bubble, and not posting on a hot platform. Thanks to the internet I work virtually and can live anywhere I want. Wall Street has also been shifting more backroom jobs to cheaper areas, and slowly shrinking the NY metro employment base.

This is a red flag for the rich public sector. Be worried. A correction is looming.

Couldn't rep but this post deserves mega-reps!

Old 09-14-2016, 11:02 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,944,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
People its not the salaries its the guaranteed pensions, for life, at 70% (give or take) of their final years salaries that are a killer.
Pension amount is based on salary, so they're intertwined.

Old 09-14-2016, 11:16 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,538,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
It could be a lower %. I think the lowest tier in NYC is 60% (I could be wrong, maybe it's 2/3) and i think fed gvt. is 50% (again, I could be wrong).

For cops, the overtime abuse and short career magnify things even worse when it comes to pensions.

Old 09-14-2016, 11:38 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,165,351 times
Dont matter...give them their salaries but put their retirement to a 3% match on 6% and see how much taxes would come down. I dont think people fully understand how big the pension is. Think about you retiring and getting 70% of that current salary!! For ever! Its just nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post

Old 09-14-2016, 11:53 AM

8,697 posts, read 11,089,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
For cops, the overtime abuse and short career magnify things even worse when it comes to pensions.

Its quite the kicker when they say its cheaper to pay the police massive OT than to hire a new officer with new benefits. It's beyond comical when the people who drive the LIRR or MNR pulls in $200,000-$300,000 a year...mostly due to OT

Old 09-14-2016, 12:10 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,798,486 times
Quote:
Dont matter...give them their salaries but put their retirement to a 3% match on 6% and see how much taxes would come down. I dont think people fully understand how big the pension is. Think about you retiring and getting 70% of that current salary!! For ever! Its just nuts.
And they get a lifetime of free healthcare, and we have cops retiring at 50. And we have 127 school districts, each with a six-figure super and duplicative staff and services. Jobs at the shopping mall ain't gonna pay these taxes moving forward.

The remaining LI companies have been trained to squawk they're leaving. They know Cuomo will drive up to their door with an armored car full of taxpayer cash to keep them here.

Old 09-14-2016, 12:17 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,944,887 times
Quote:
It's not that easy to change existing pensions. Best they can do is change pension systems for new hires going forward. For NYC and NYS, they come out with new tiers every few years with less and less generous pensions for new hires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island