Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2020, 06:01 AM

2,880 posts, read 2,813,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
Article posted "March 4, 2020 at 12:00 a.m. PST" by your very own Jeff "Bozos" owned leftist-fantastico Washington Post.
It's accurate though, I can find plenty of other non Jeff Bezos owned papers that say the same thing. Is name calling, a juvenile trait, common among all right wing fanatics or just most of them?

"Fool me once, shame on...shame on you. Fool me... you can't get fooled again" unless you're a conservative
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2020, 06:45 AM

3,475 posts, read 3,284,208 times
Pandemic economics. Numbers going down is good. Means social distancing is working and we're flattening the curve. ~80K deaths is optimistic and better than 200k

Persuasive posts ND_Irish. I watched the video and read the link.

They agreed we won't know anything until the end of April when we have more data in. They also mentioned the antibody tests are a way we get out of this and start going back to work.

If the numbers keep declining at this rate I don't see why we couldn't go back to work in May, isolate the vulnerable populations and start contact tracing. We really need millions of more tests. They said we were getting 4M antibody tests but that's not nearly enough.

Old 04-08-2020, 10:03 AM

638 posts, read 595,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post

“I believe Prime Minister Shinzo Abe is trying his best to manage through the situation without shuttering the economy. He sees what it has done to the U.S., and would rather not force a shut in, but instead asks for common sense. Japan has certain features — such as a largely lawful and well-educated society — that make this more possible. As do Taiwan, Singapore, Korea.”

I don't believe that the US has a largely unlawful society.
maybe you cant see it because you're american, but as an outsider I think the concept of american society doing as its told when it comes to this is absolutely laughable. Its just impossible, there's just something in the american psyche that sees any interference as a huge invasion of freedom and liberty, next thing theres a 4 hour line at every gun shop while people scream about the stafford act and troops on the street yelling "arm yourself be ready to fight for freedom against government oppression"

Yes for the most part people aren't running around committing crimes on a daily basis, but huge amounts of otherwise law abiding citizens are ready to be triggered, and will not listen to new laws curtailing their freedom because they don't think it applies to them.

The amount of people that seem to be spending time hanging out at friends houses, or golfing, or hiking together while this is going on says it all really.

Compare this to japan, and I guarantee you that if they go for a lockdown you will not see a single person on the streets unless they absolutely have to be there. They are a FAR FAR more socially responsible towards the greater good, and not just compared to the usa, but compared to pretty much any country.

Old 04-08-2020, 10:24 AM

35 posts, read 39,460 times
Whether you believe Covid 19 is exaggerated, media-driven, fear mongering BS, where is your cut off point where you say enough is enough and demand that businesses be allowed to open? Would you be willing to protest or continue to abide by what Daddy Governor tells you?

My cutoff is Friday May 1st. After that, it's time to begin gathering other citizens who are not willing to sit by and let Government destroy our rights to provide for our families.

Old 04-08-2020, 12:48 PM

848 posts, read 649,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
Sweden are starting to lock things down, it isn't as laissez faire anymore. It's because they are worried too many people will die.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coro...xpected-2020-4

Their economy was predicted to go into recession even if their experiment worked. Their health system is pretty crappy now too, extremely expensive. I know many Swedes are unhappy with their current government, much like the USA

It does not say that they are starting to lock things down. It says they may consider it in the article you cited. Any search on Sweden right now does not produce any news indicating that country's strategy has changed.

Old 04-08-2020, 12:53 PM

Quote:
What do you propose?

How many died last season from the flu? Around 34,000 people.

How many will die from coronavirus this year?

That should help your answer.

It has been reported that almost double the number you cited (i.e., over 60,000) died from the flu two years ago (Source: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2017-2018.htm).

Old 04-08-2020, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Because trump doesn't listen to anyone educated and closed down important components of the CDC. why else?

I do not believe USA Today is an ally of the Trump administration. They even opined that President Trump's claim regarding the depletion of and failure to replenish the national stockpile of emergency medical supplies under the Obama administration was true. Here's the link:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...le/5114319002/

I also think your statement that Trump doesn't listen to anyone educated is absurd and brings into question your objectivity on this matter. I do not agree with the measures currently being taken to deal with this situation, and those measures were implemented precisely because President Trump is listening to those you consider "educated." While medical professionals and other scientists may be well-educated, the issue at hand is more than just a problem which falls in their domain. In my opinion, the approach being taken in Nevada and most other states is the equivalent of carpet bombing given that it does not take into account any of the data which would allow for a more precise response based on individual risk factors. As I have mentioned previously, I believe an approach which is not indiscriminate and takes into account all costs and benefits to society would be more appropriate especially now given the social and economic devastation which only will get worse the longer this lockdown continues. You should really read through Dr. Michael Burry's Twitter posts and the excellent article on Bloomberg previously cited in this thread. I could not have expressed my thoughts on the matter better than he did.

Old 04-08-2020, 01:35 PM

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN21L20C

Old 04-08-2020, 03:38 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,284,208 times
Bad news. The consensus in the southern NV medical community is that the lockdown may go into May here. I had heard before they wanted us to stay home until June until this first wave passed but I just didn't see that happening.

We had no choice but to postpone our fashion show on the Strip for the second time. This time we moved it to September when we should be out of the woods and when people aren't afraid to go out again.

Old 04-08-2020, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
Bad news. The consensus in the southern NV medical community is that the lockdown may go into May here. I had heard before they wanted us to stay home until June until this first wave passed but I just didn't see that happening.

We had no choice but to postpone our fashion show on the Strip for the second time. This time we moved it to September when we should be out of the woods and when people aren't afraid to go out again.

I certainly hope the medical community, whom none of the citizens of Nevada has elected, is not the sole arbiter regarding this matter. If that is the case, this state is in bigger trouble than I thought. There is no rational reason to continue a lockdown of ALL citizens of Nevada. The most vulnerable based on CDC data should continue to take extra precautions and isolate themselves if they are not comfortable with the risk. Everyone else in the low-risk demographics absolutely should be allowed to proceed with their lives with sensible precautions to start. A one-size-fits-all approach dictated exclusively by the medical community, which clearly is not taking into account the long-term societal and economic ramifications of its actions, is not viable.

Last edited by ND_Irish; 04-08-2020 at 04:43 PM.. Reason: Typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas