Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2021, 01:33 PM

395 posts, read 272,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibound441 View Post
I was in West Hollywood, I LOVE LA, but my rent was more then then my current mortgage. I miss the night life, even though in the past year it has been non existent. The food in vegas is just as good. I do miss friends, but working from home, I couldn't justify the high cost of rent. Honestly I have been saving so much $ living in Vegas. Plus LA is so close, I was there 3 weeks ago visiting and I got my LA fix without the high cost of living there.What part of LA are you from?
I grew up in Long Beach and spent a lot of time in West LA..specifically
Westwood. I went East for college and stayed there for quite a few years.

I got back West this last September and choose to live in Las Vegas over Los Angeles.
I just couldn't justify the cost/quality of life issues of selecting LA over Las Vegas.
I upsized from our house in Pennsylvania and our monthly costs are the same...
If we moved to LA, we'd be half or less the size of house/land and triple the price.
Even for Long Beach which is firmly middle class, we'd have a house 1/3 the size of
our LV home on .25 acres for the same price. (I'll admit ..I'm a space hog...our lot
here is pretty big as is the house).

My mom and both brothers (and their families) are in Southern Cal but
I haven't made it over that much due to the pandemic. I'll probably be able
to visit every other month once I get my vaccine shots and things are more open.
My one brother works in a hospital so he is very strict on protocols and
not socializing outside his immediate household. I'm at the absolute bottom
category though so maybe May I'll be able to get my shot.

Old 03-06-2021, 03:44 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,644,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longviewJoe View Post
You can buy an uninhabitable teardown for $1.5m in many of those areas.
Yes, it is quite affordable.

Old 03-06-2021, 11:05 PM

10 posts, read 18,615 times
I looked at places to buy in West Hollywood and all I could afford was 450 sq ft. I do hope to eventually in a few years to move back and be able to buy something bigger. But right now I am happy. Also I got my first shot of the Pfizer already and I'm my late 20's, Cashman has a "waste list" and always has extras. Took my mom get her shot, she had an appointment and once in I asked if they had extras and was given a shot right then and there. My second shot is in two weeks, so if you want a vaccine its worth a try. Walmart also has the waste lists.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariza160 View Post
I grew up in Long Beach and spent a lot of time in West LA..specifically
Westwood. I went East for college and stayed there for quite a few years.

I got back West this last September and choose to live in Las Vegas over Los Angeles.
I just couldn't justify the cost/quality of life issues of selecting LA over Las Vegas.
I upsized from our house in Pennsylvania and our monthly costs are the same...
If we moved to LA, we'd be half or less the size of house/land and triple the price.
Even for Long Beach which is firmly middle class, we'd have a house 1/3 the size of
our LV home on .25 acres for the same price. (I'll admit ..I'm a space hog...our lot
here is pretty big as is the house).

My mom and both brothers (and their families) are in Southern Cal but
I haven't made it over that much due to the pandemic. I'll probably be able
to visit every other month once I get my vaccine shots and things are more open.
My one brother works in a hospital so he is very strict on protocols and
not socializing outside his immediate household. I'm at the absolute bottom
category though so maybe May I'll be able to get my shot.

Old 03-07-2021, 11:33 AM

341 posts, read 292,838 times
I was hoping to move to Vegas this year but not going to happen, it seems every time I try and leave California something comes up. First it was family issues, then it was a pandemic, now it's my job. I am now hoping to next year but we'll see what happens.

There's things I love about SoCal but minus the beach Vegas offers a lot of those things without the high COL and traffic. Plus I prefer hotter weather. And it's still close enough to LA/OC/SD that if I want it it's within driving distance. I just wish the economy was a little more diversified, I was bummed when I heard Tony Hsieh passed away since he was trying to bring more tech jobs there.

So once again.... maybe next year lol.

Old 03-07-2021, 11:48 AM

1,086 posts, read 745,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydogg View Post
I was hoping to move to Vegas this year but not going to happen, it seems every time I try and leave California something comes up. First it was family issues, then it was a pandemic, now it's my job. I am now hoping to next year but we'll see what happens.

There's things I love about SoCal but minus the beach Vegas offers a lot of those things without the high COL and traffic. Plus I prefer hotter weather. And it's still close enough to LA/OC/SD that if I want it it's within driving distance. I just wish the economy was a little more diversified, I was bummed when I heard Tony Hsieh passed away since he was trying to bring more tech jobs there.

So once again.... maybe next year lol.
What worked for me was to stay focused on the move, kept learning about Vegas, and eventually the pandemic happened which caused work at home to be a more accepted thing. I thus was able to move things up a year or two. Moving in a few months! You'll find a way to make it happen!

Old 03-07-2021, 12:22 PM

341 posts, read 292,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longviewJoe View Post
What worked for me was to stay focused on the move, kept learning about Vegas, and eventually the pandemic happened which caused work at home to be a more accepted thing. I thus was able to move things up a year or two. Moving in a few months! You'll find a way to make it happen!
That's great it's finally going to work out for you! I know you had been talking about it for awhile here so it's awesome you were able to make it happen earlier. I started looking for WFH jobs a few months ago and could have made the move there earlier, but I was being pretty picky and just wasn't finding the right thing. Either the pay wasn't going to work, or there was too much travel once restrictions were lifted, or the work wasn't exactly what I was looking for, etc. So for now I am going to stay put in CA and save more money. I like my job now and the pay is good even by CA standards so putting it off another year won't be the end of the world....

Old 03-11-2021, 04:59 AM

441 posts, read 439,437 times
It is way too HOT in the summer unless you don't mind being inside all day paying hundreds of dollars a month in electricity to keep your residence cool.

But like any other large size city it has its nice areas and its sketchy areas. Lots of traffic They have 2 pro teams if you enjoy hockey and/or football. UNLV is a good college and their basketball team is usually pretty good.

Old 03-11-2021, 07:37 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,043,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARas2020 View Post
They have 2 pro teams if you enjoy hockey and/or football. UNLV is a good college and their basketball team is usually pretty good.
Other stuff related to sports you might have overlooked:

NASCAR, Raiders, Knights, Silver Knights, Aviators, Aces, UNLV.

PAC-12, Mountain West, WAC, WCC, and Big West NCAA Mens BBall Tournaments.

Las Vegas NCAA Mens Invitational BBall Tournament

Las Vegas Bowl: PAC 12 vs. Big 10 or SEC team.

Las Vegas Kick Off Classic: BYU vs. Arizona

NBA Summer League.

PGA Tour Events.

Old 03-11-2021, 08:31 AM

1,086 posts, read 745,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVREDLEG View Post
Other stuff related to sports you might have overlooked:

NASCAR, Raiders, Knights, Silver Knights, Aviators, Aces, UNLV.

PAC-12, Mountain West, WAC, WCC, and Big West NCAA Mens BBall Tournaments.

Las Vegas NCAA Mens Invitational BBall Tournament

Las Vegas Bowl: PAC 12 vs. Big 10 or SEC team.

Las Vegas Kick Off Classic: BYU vs. Arizona

NBA Summer League.

PGA Tour Events.
So true. Plus, last year they had some random college basketball games planned for November like UCLA v. Kentucky and one other similar. I think the NCAA hoops tourney will be a pretty regular event in Vegas! I think every other year they'll have one round or another and maybe even the final 4 at Allegiant. All the various sporting events is a nice pull for me to Vegas.

Old 03-12-2021, 07:40 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,644,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARas2020 View Post
It is way too HOT in the summer ...
That's a myth. It rarely gets above 115 F in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas