Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2021, 12:27 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,395,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
That was actually our first choice. Been thinking about if for over a decade. And we were well experienced Maui fans. But we move there for a couple of months and decided no. Did not care for the weather and the basics of Maui society did not turn us on as we explored buy a home up the hill. Kind of funny - I would have sworn we were bound for Maui as we went in...but after a month - no way.
We are still considering Hawaii for a second home, but I would probably be looking at Oahu - most of the other islands a little too much small town living. Don't need to be in a city but would prefer one nearby. I spent a lot of time on Oahu when I was working but not sure I would like it full time in retirement.

Old 02-16-2021, 01:56 PM

1,086 posts, read 749,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
We are still considering Hawaii for a second home, but I would probably be looking at Oahu - most of the other islands a little too much small town living. Don't need to be in a city but would prefer one nearby. I spent a lot of time on Oahu when I was working but not sure I would like it full time in retirement.
I like Oahu a lot but it definitely has big city problems like crime, homelessness, etc.... Plus, the cost of living is out of sight there. The grocery store is at least 25% more expensive if not more. We do love it there though even with all that said!

Old 02-16-2021, 02:39 PM

1,634 posts, read 1,725,877 times
I lived in Naples, FL for five years. It's a beautiful city on the Gulf of Mexico. Very posh, lots of nice restaurants, high end shopping, homes,etc. I moved there thinking the weather would be great and I'd love it. After a few years, the humid summers got to me and there just wasn't enough to do, entertainment options were lacking. It's nice to be at least near a big city for great restaurants and entertainment. Vegas has most everything (weather, restaurants, entertainment), but I miss the culture and arts that I had access to in Chicago. Hawaii seems too remote and expensive to live there IMO, but I haven't spent any time there.

Last edited by movin1; 02-16-2021 at 03:23 PM..

Old 02-16-2021, 06:11 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,395,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longviewJoe View Post
I like Oahu a lot but it definitely has big city problems like crime, homelessness, etc.... Plus, the cost of living is out of sight there. The grocery store is at least 25% more expensive if not more. We do love it there though even with all that said!
I am retired military so have access to Military Commissary and Exchanges that cut the prices some - not really interested in living in Honolulu proper.

As far as Las Vegas - the biggest drawbacks are the cost of auto insurance and the summer heat - I am ok with the heat, my DW is still adjusting.

Old 02-16-2021, 07:26 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,673,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
That was actually our first choice. Been thinking about if for over a decade. And we were well experienced Maui fans. But we move there for a couple of months and decided no. Did not care for the weather and the basics of Maui society did not turn us on as we explored buy a home up the hill. Kind of funny - I would have sworn we were bound for Maui as we went in...but after a month - no way.
About every 5 years we vacation for a week on Maui. About 3 days into the week, we look at each other & say "we're not island people."

We remember that for about another 4 years & 11 months.

Old 02-16-2021, 07:52 PM

23,261 posts, read 29,108,214 times
Being on any island spooks me out, always has. I never even felt comfortable on the Big Island in Hawaii! The smaller the island, and the farther it is from any mainland, the spookier it gets! Can't get over this What if, what if, what if!

Back in the early 90's, en route to Australia, Air New Zealand offered a free stop en route, take your pick! Heading south I picked Fiji, but only for one day, and a Cyclone had just blow thru the island, with debris all over the beaches, leaves blow off the trees, bridges out. Now! If I had been there during that cyclone, with winds of 190MPH, I wouldn't writing this post! A massive heart attack!

Old 02-16-2021, 10:01 PM

1,258 posts, read 1,063,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Being on any island spooks me out, always has. I never even felt comfortable on the Big Island in Hawaii! The smaller the island, and the farther it is from any mainland, the spookier it gets! Can't get over this What if, what if, what if!

Back in the early 90's, en route to Australia, Air New Zealand offered a free stop en route, take your pick! Heading south I picked Fiji, but only for one day, and a Cyclone had just blow thru the island, with debris all over the beaches, leaves blow off the trees, bridges out. Now! If I had been there during that cyclone, with winds of 190MPH, I wouldn't writing this post! A massive heart attack!
I hear you! There's only so many places you can (hypothetically) run on an island. I mean, if there's an outbreak of some nasty virus, you're trapped. Tsunami, you're trapped! Hurricane, you're trapped! Civil unrest of any kind? You'll have to deal with it and hope you've got enough resources until outside help arrives (if it even does)? The same way that islands can protect you from things, the flip side is that they can also make serious issues even more acute. Strange, isn't it?

Old 02-17-2021, 06:52 AM

82 posts, read 203,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
About every 5 years we vacation for a week on Maui. About 3 days into the week, we look at each other & say "we're not island people."

We remember that for about another 4 years & 11 months.
In so many ways Las Vegas is an island in the midst of the Mojave. Several hours drive to SoCal or Phoenix, not too much in between

Old 02-17-2021, 09:55 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,673,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltman View Post
In so many ways Las Vegas is an island in the midst of the Mojave. Several hours drive to SoCal or Phoenix, not too much in between
We get bored on Maui after a couple of days.

We've never been bored in Las Vegas.

For us, that's the difference.

Old 02-17-2021, 01:03 PM

1,086 posts, read 749,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
We get bored on Maui after a couple of days.

We've never been bored in Las Vegas.

For us, that's the difference.
This is true! I love Hawaii including Maui but I still remember my first time there. We were like "what do you after about 9:00 pm?" When they say they roll the sidewalks up they ain't kidding there! There is almost nothing to do at night. Then, early in the morning, can barely get a cup of coffee as places open late!

We only briefly considered Hawaii as our next home and are super excited to move to Vegas later this year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas