Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2019, 12:14 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,039,029 times

Advertisements

1 California drivers are the best I’ve seen

2 (and I hate CA),

3 they’re both fast and good

Finally, three things upon which we can agree.

Old 12-07-2019, 01:56 AM

143 posts, read 99,296 times
I lived in LV twice in the past, and have visited family in the past year and don't recall the static electricity shocks? Is it because of carpets? My places didn't have carpets, nor do my sister & mother's apartment.

Old 12-07-2019, 03:35 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,656,916 times
It’s definitely not carpets! We have no carpets anywhere in the house, but I constantly shock myself on the car door or metal objects like railings in Vegas. Never seen anything like it. I regularly see actual sparks when I touch the car door and I pull my hand back quickly because it’s surprising. I have started closing my doors with my sleeve or back of my wrist haha. It’s weird.

Why exactly are Vegas drivers so bad though? I didn’t believe some people here before I moved here, but in just 4 months or so both my wife and I have seen such terrible driving it’s confusing. I thought they were bad up in OR, and maybe people suck everywhere but I didn’t see this type of bad driving in either OR or CA. It’s like this aggressive style but without turn signals, cutting people off, then flipping them off, or driving on the side of the road to go around people on a freeway (saw that last week, had never seen that before in my life except from an emergency vehicle). A lot of people in this city simply cannot drive whatsoever, they’re terrible at it! I love the people I’ve met in Vegas and the city is so friendly, I love it here, but on the roads people seem like maniacs lol.

Old 12-08-2019, 12:37 AM

143 posts, read 99,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
It’s definitely not carpets! We have no carpets anywhere in the house, but I constantly shock myself on the car door or metal objects like railings in Vegas. Never seen anything like it. I regularly see actual sparks when I touch the car door and I pull my hand back quickly because it’s surprising. I have started closing my doors with my sleeve or back of my wrist haha. It’s weird.
That is weird. I lived in LV in the 1990s, once for 9 months and once for 6 months (encompassing all four seasons,) and don't recall ever getting a static electricity shock. Wonder if we can blame it on global warming?

Quote:
Why exactly are Vegas drivers so bad though? I didn’t believe some people here before I moved here, but in just 4 months or so both my wife and I have seen such terrible driving it’s confusing. I thought they were bad up in OR, and maybe people suck everywhere but I didn’t see this type of bad driving in either OR or CA. It’s like this aggressive style but without turn signals, cutting people off, then flipping them off, or driving on the side of the road to go around people on a freeway (saw that last week, had never seen that before in my life except from an emergency vehicle). A lot of people in this city simply cannot drive whatsoever, they’re terrible at it! I love the people I’ve met in Vegas and the city is so friendly, I love it here, but on the roads people seem like maniacs lol.
And, yet another reason I would want to live in a walkable (to at least one grocery store) neighborhood. The only time these days I've driven a vehicle was once a year when I visited family in S.Cal. That was always a shock after 24 hours of travel to step into a rental car at LAX after a year of not driving and get onto the L.A. freeway system.

Old 12-09-2019, 10:56 AM

1,362 posts, read 666,497 times
Why are there such terrible Vegas drivers? I'll answer that one: complacency. A person's best driving will be at the DMV during the behind-the-wheel test. After that, as long as they don't get caught and don't cause any harm or damage, they can drive however way they want to.

Not turning on the turning signal and drifting into multiple lanes is probably the worst traffic violation I've seen. I bet if cameras were installed at the stoplights, there'd be less accidents. People would be scared to speed. The camera will catch you and a letter will be mailed to you stating your ticket fine.

Old 12-09-2019, 12:50 PM

1,086 posts, read 750,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
Why are there such terrible Vegas drivers? I'll answer that one: complacency. A person's best driving will be at the DMV during the behind-the-wheel test. After that, as long as they don't get caught and don't cause any harm or damage, they can drive however way they want to.

Not turning on the turning signal and drifting into multiple lanes is probably the worst traffic violation I've seen. I bet if cameras were installed at the stoplights, there'd be less accidents. People would be scared to speed. The camera will catch you and a letter will be mailed to you stating your ticket fine.
Ok, but how is that different in Vegas than other places? People seem to complain about the drivers in Vegas quite a bit.

Old 12-09-2019, 01:08 PM

37 posts, read 22,808 times
Quote:

i constantly shock myself and my pets!! I hate IT!!! I have to disagree with the drivers in Vegas: worst drivers are in Seattle; Vegas isn't that bad.

Old 12-09-2019, 01:32 PM

6,386 posts, read 11,913,565 times
How many people say the drivers in the place they live are on average good drivers? Kind of a pointless debate, people just like to complain about other drivers. You will eventually get used to most of the "sins" of other drivers wherever you live and start anticipating them if you are actually a good driver.

Old 12-09-2019, 02:20 PM

1,362 posts, read 666,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longviewJoe View Post
Ok, but how is that different in Vegas than other places? People seem to complain about the drivers in Vegas quite a bit.
Maybe it's because people drove in other cities or states than drove in Vegas and made the comparison.

Old 12-10-2019, 08:40 AM

153 posts, read 249,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpcoe View Post
That is weird. I lived in LV in the 1990s, once for 9 months and once for 6 months (encompassing all four seasons,) and don't recall ever getting a static electricity shock. Wonder if we can blame it on global warming?

And, yet another reason I would want to live in a walkable (to at least one grocery store) neighborhood. The only time these days I've driven a vehicle was once a year when I visited family in S.Cal. That was always a shock after 24 hours of travel to step into a rental car at LAX after a year of not driving and get onto the L.A. freeway system.
Saw this right after reading about two pedestrians killed by cars in different parts of the valley just last night. You're not safe from bad drivers even if you walk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas