Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2009, 06:09 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,277,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Being employed is one thing, making a living wage is something else. If you lose a job that pays $70,000 a year, you cannot keep your usual state of living on a job that pays $9.50 an hour. You can barely support yourself on that wage let alone support a family.
I agree with you on that. I have never had the pleasure of making that kind of money so I have no idea what it is like. I have managed to live off of $9.50 for two and a half years though because I had to. I only got a job in security because I did not know what else to do. The DUI really ruined my life for the last 3 years as far as jobs go. I have been worked both as a delivery driver and a nursing assistant pretty much all my life. Even the nursing assistant jobs would not hire me because I needed to drive clients to the store and/or doctor. What I am truly getting at is that there are many jobs out there for someone who is not picky and really wants to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 06:09 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,343,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
This is the truth. I have had the same security guard job now for 2 and a half years. Even know I work 40 hours a week, the $9.50 an hour just is not cutting it for me. I really needed a second part time job. I got a DUI 3 years ago that just fell off this week, making me now eligible for delivery work again. I went out yesterday and applied for 2 pizza delivery jobs. I just got a call from one of them asking me if I can start Monday. Of course I accepted. This 11.2% unemployment is all crap. It just gives the lazy people who do not want to work something to complain about. I was worried with all the doom and gloom that I probably would not be able to get a second job. From now on, there will be absolutely no sympathy to anyone who says they are laid off or whatever. It only took one day for me to get a job, so it should be the same for everyone else.
Are you saying there are more open positions than people willing to take them? One would think people in Vegas are pretty flexible these days, with the weakness in the Economy.

Old 06-20-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
Are you saying there are more open positions than people willing to take them? One would think people in Vegas are pretty flexible these days, with the weakness in the Economy.

As far as the lower end jobs, my answer would be yes.

Old 06-20-2009, 06:14 PM

2,753 posts, read 6,674,179 times
My sister's first husband is under the impression that you can be busted for DUI if you even have alcohol on your breath. He says that even if you take one sip, you're going down. Mind you, his elevator doesn't go all of the way to the top floor.

Old 06-20-2009, 06:21 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,427,488 times
Quote:
I agree with you on that. I have never had the pleasure of making that kind of money so I have no idea what it is like. I have managed to live off of $9.50 for two and a half years though because I had to. I only got a job in security because I did not know what else to do. The DUI really ruined my life for the last 3 years as far as jobs go. I have been worked both as a delivery driver and a nursing assistant pretty much all my life. Even the nursing assistant jobs would not hire me because I needed to drive clients to the store and/or doctor. What I am truly getting at is that there are many jobs out there for someone who is not picky and really wants to work.
I see your point. I could live on $9.50 an hour on my own because I know how to be frugal. I would just be surviving though. I still don't think it is right to count someone who is supporting a family as gainfully employed if they are making $9.50 an hour. I am glad that you no longer have to live with the DUI on your record. That will make things much easier for you job wise.

Old 06-20-2009, 06:23 PM

113 posts, read 388,352 times
Quote:
This 11.2% unemployment is all crap. It just gives the lazy people who do not want to work something to complain about.
Bear in mind, that you've been employed throughout this recession, and have only now started looking for work.

It seems that only very recently (this past month) that the recession has bottomed out....I hope! Only now, are the low paying jobs starting to sprout up again. There are still a lot of people struggling.

I really hope it's all uphill from here.

For the past 6 months, nobody was hiring. It was that bad. I heard stories of lines around the block when In & Out opened a new location in Vegas. A girl I know who works at McDonalds said they got 17 applications per day but they just weren't hiring at that time.

Good luck to anybody out there that is struggling.

IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT. Although you might have heard otherwise

Old 06-20-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualung8705 View Post
My sister's first husband is under the impression that you can be busted for DUI if you even have alcohol on your breath. He says that even if you take one sip, you're going down. Mind you, his elevator doesn't go all of the way to the top floor.
Well, the truth is, believe it or not, he is correct. I found that out in my trial. Nevada has a law that all they have to do is prove you are impaired to the slightest degree. If they can prove this, even with drinking only a half of a beer, you will be convicted. I always thought that you had to be over .08 to be charged, but I was wrong. With me, it was a slam dunk. I was racing someone going over 100mph on Charleston. When I got the blood test, I was .132. It was a total slam dunk for the prosecuting attorney. I deserved it though and am glad I got caught looking back on it now. I was really out of control, and I could have really hurt someone. Thank God I learned from the experience. I fixed it by one, buying a slow car, and two, by moving right next to the strip so I could walk to it and drink all I want.

Old 06-20-2009, 06:32 PM

2,753 posts, read 6,674,179 times
Then what's the point of even having bars or clubs? I don't drink that often, and then usually no more than two beers. I'm a very careful driver. If I feel impaired, I wait it out, and get something to eat. I stopped by Trader Joes yesterday, and they were doing samples of Francis Coppola's wine. It was a tiny sip (I was too late to have any), but that would have been enough to have gotten me busted? Amazing...

Old 06-20-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualung8705 View Post
Then what's the point of even having bars or clubs? I don't drink that often, and then usually no more than two beers. I'm a very careful driver. If I feel impaired, I wait it out, and get something to eat. I stopped by Trader Joes yesterday, and they were doing samples of Francis Coppola's wine. It was a tiny sip (I was too late to have any), but that would have been enough to have gotten me busted? Amazing...
The thing is, they would have to prove that you were impaired to the slightest degree. It would be next to impossible to do that with only having a sip of wine. I did not mean to worry you, but I thought you should be aware of it since this law is not widely known.

Old 06-20-2009, 06:44 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,427,488 times
One glass of wine can put you over the legal limit in most states so you can be convicted of DUI if you have just one alcoholic beverage and drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas