Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 05:48 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,359,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
You know the wise old saying about incurable optimists: The basis of optimism is sheer terror.

Thank heavens above, the world is equally divided between pessimists and optimists.

I am ever, ever so thankful I was born a pessimist. I always think the worst is going to happen, and of course, through many, many years the worst has never happened to me, even worrying about my car breaking down on the way to work, but oh the celebrations we pessimists have! Ok! The car didn't break down going to work last night, but once there, the smiles on my face are ear to ear! Time to celebrate! I still had my job at the end of my shift! There's goes another celebration! My car didn't break down on my way home! Another celebration! Joy and happiness!

And the optimists? They're forever thinking the best is going to happen and when it doesn't? Where's the celebrations!
I see why you're such a pessimist. You want the worst to happen and only good things keep happening. Or, you never get what you expect so you keep expecting the worst and you get the opposite. It's good strategy. Ha ha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMD123 View Post
LMAO at all of the newbies to Vegas. Golfinnova Trust me, you will be out of here within 5 years or at least you will have thought about it numerous times. I said that is the normal stay for most people moving here. Unfortunately I have been stuck here for 10 years. I look at it as doing my time and now its time to leave. That is hardly a contradiction.
It is a fact, Vegas has reached number four on the most VIOLENT cities. I didn't say it was a murder capital. Look it up.
I'm also from the DC area originally and unless you lived in SE or parts of Maryland a majority of DC was okay and low on crime. Not to mention most people live in the suburbs of DC. I'm assuming you're from Northern Virginia judging by your handle name.
I can tell you from experience, you will miss the east coast and likely move back. It took me a few years to see it. Im not saying Vegas is a terrible place, however it is NOT the place to raise a family. If your single or have no plans to start a family or even plan a retirement then it may be a cool place to live. Other than that, its a playground for adults which was it's original intention.
Now, lets look at the 11% unemployment compared to places like the D.C area. Dont forget to calculate the number of people whom live in the areas. We have a 1.8 million in Vegas compared to the population of the entire D.C area which is well over 5 million. I would consider that a huge difference. Sure, 10% isnt great but it shadows in comparison to 11% for such a small area. That is 1 in 10 adults or less who are unemployed and those are only the ones who claimed unemployment with the state. It will reach 12% and more, count on it.
I am far from misguided. I would say I am a great source of knowledge on the topic of a "Should I move there" scenario for anyone entertaining the idea of moving to Las Vegas. Im simply saying now isn't the best time to move to a city in complete economic turmoil.
Somebody call the MHMR hospital. I think they're missing a patient.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Ive lived in Vegas for almost 10 years. I moved here from the east coast. Im trying to move back ASAP. Vegas is a business, not a city and doesnt play host to the normal cultures of most U.S cities. So you need to keep that in mind when moving here. There are no farmers markets or cool craft fairs ect. Vegas is not family friendly. At one time it touched on being family friendly but fell into the greed of growth. Did I mention, its too hot here also?
I was laid off in March and have yet to find a job after numerous interviews. Its all about who you know here and when you run out of those options, youre screwed. Your college degree means very little here. The few companies that are hiring now have a huge pool to draw from. What sets you apart from the other 11.5% of the unemployed population? Someone will do the job for less than what you may think youre worth. Ten dollars an hour is the standard wage here for most jobs that used to pay at least $30,000 a year. Remember, for every job you apply for, lets say on Craigslist or from the local paper. There are 50 to 100 other people applying for the same job.
This town has gone down hill very fast and I have my doubts it will recover within the next 10 years. The school system is in the bottom five for being among the worst in the country. I think it hovers somewhere around 48 out of 50 cities. It is now # 4 on the most violent cities list. Like I said at one time Vegas was on the right track but somehow the housing boom turned it into a hell hole. The result? Las Vegas became the forclosure capital of America and has one of the highest climbing unemployment rates in the country. An example was the Hard Rock jobfair yesterday where they had a record 2000 plus show up. Most of the jobs are housekeeping positions. All types of applicants from non educated to people with masters degrees. They have another today with an expected 2000 to show up again. When a company hires in Vegas it makes the local news. Thats how bad it is here. If youre into that kind of thing, then by all means have at it and good luck.
Vegas is a small, small town and really doesnt have anything to offer other than a 24/7 lifestyle. It is in the midst of an economic meltdown and has yet to earn the badge of honor of being considered a real city. The standard stay is about 5 years or less for most people who move here from other cities and states. Do yourself and your family a great favor and dont move here.
Are you one of those Las Vegas supporters who tell people the opposite of what is true to keep anymore from invading us? Because not one word of what you say is true.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:52 PM

21 posts, read 44,221 times
Quote:
Ive lived in Vegas for almost 10 years. I moved here from the east coast. Im trying to move back ASAP. Vegas is a business, not a city and doesnt play host to the normal cultures of most U.S cities. So you need to keep that in mind when moving here. There are no farmers markets or cool craft fairs ect. Vegas is not family friendly. At one time it touched on being family friendly but fell into the greed of growth. Did I mention, its too hot here also?
I was laid off in March and have yet to find a job after numerous interviews. Its all about who you know here and when you run out of those options, youre screwed. Your college degree means very little here. The few companies that are hiring now have a huge pool to draw from. What sets you apart from the other 11.5% of the unemployed population? Someone will do the job for less than what you may think youre worth. Ten dollars an hour is the standard wage here for most jobs that used to pay at least $30,000 a year. Remember, for every job you apply for, lets say on Craigslist or from the local paper. There are 50 to 100 other people applying for the same job.
This town has gone down hill very fast and I have my doubts it will recover within the next 10 years. The school system is in the bottom five for being among the worst in the country. I think it hovers somewhere around 48 out of 50 cities. It is now # 4 on the most violent cities list. Like I said at one time Vegas was on the right track but somehow the housing boom turned it into a hell hole. The result? Las Vegas became the forclosure capital of America and has one of the highest climbing unemployment rates in the country. An example was the Hard Rock jobfair yesterday where they had a record 2000 plus show up. Most of the jobs are housekeeping positions. All types of applicants from non educated to people with masters degrees. They have another today with an expected 2000 to show up again. When a company hires in Vegas it makes the local news. Thats how bad it is here. If youre into that kind of thing, then by all means have at it and good luck.
Vegas is a small, small town and really doesnt have anything to offer other than a 24/7 lifestyle. It is in the midst of an economic meltdown and has yet to earn the badge of honor of being considered a real city. The standard stay is about 5 years or less for most people who move here from other cities and states. Do yourself and your family a great favor and dont move here.
You just quoted Charlotte, my friend, except there are a lot more trees here. Thanks for giving me another reason to move back to Vegas.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:56 PM

24 posts, read 104,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Are you one of those Las Vegas supporters who tell people the opposite of what is true to keep them from moving here? Because not one word of what you say is true.
Wow, another one who is completely oblivious to what is happening here. I see this is one of those forums where someone with an opinion other than your own gets flamed. I get that. However, I made a wise choice to get the hell out of this town in order to better my life and to secure a good future for my kids. I based this decision on facts not opinions. Another little fact to keep in mind if you care about your child's education? Las Vegas has a 48% high school graduation rate. Do you understand what that means? Once again, look it up. Unfortunately most of what I have said is 100% true.

Last edited by SMD123; 06-23-2009 at 06:07 PM..

Old 06-23-2009, 06:04 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,247,301 times
Ok, I see I read your thread wrong. You live in Vegas and want to move back to your hometown. I thought you said you wanted to move back to Vegas. I, personally, am a single guy with no kids from Arizona. I wanted my best friend to also move out here. He lives in Arizona, but has family out here who warned him not to. He has 4 kids and he told me that this is not the place for a family so he stayed in Phoenix. I do not know how it is like for a family here, so I will stay out of this discussion. For me though, this blows away my hometown of Phoenix, I am much happier here. Maybe if I had a wife and kids, I might not think the same way, who knows?

Old 06-23-2009, 06:13 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,342,524 times
Quote:
LMAO at all of the newbies to Vegas. Golfinnova Trust me, you will be out of here within 5 years or at least you will have thought about it numerous times. I said that is the normal stay for most people moving here. Unfortunately I have been stuck here for 10 years. I look at it as doing my time and now its time to leave. That is hardly a contradiction.
It is a fact, Vegas has reached number four on the most VIOLENT cities. I didn't say it was a murder capital. Look it up.
I'm also from the DC area originally and unless you lived in SE or parts of Maryland a majority of DC was okay and low on crime. Not to mention most people live in the suburbs of DC. I'm assuming you're from Northern Virginia judging by your handle name.
I can tell you from experience, you will miss the east coast and likely move back. It took me a few years to see it. Im not saying Vegas is a terrible place, however it is NOT the place to raise a family. If your single or have no plans to start a family or even plan a retirement then it may be a cool place to live. Other than that, its a playground for adults which was it's original intention.
Now, lets look at the 11% unemployment compared to places like the D.C area. Dont forget to calculate the number of people whom live in the areas. We have a 1.8 million in Vegas compared to the population of the entire D.C area which is well over 5 million. I would consider that a huge difference. Sure, 10% isnt great but it shadows in comparison to 11% for such a small area. That is 1 in 10 adults or less who are unemployed and those are only the ones who claimed unemployment with the state. It will reach 12% and more, count on it.
I am far from misguided. I would say I am a great source of knowledge on the topic of a "Should I move there" scenario for anyone entertaining the idea of moving to Las Vegas. Im simply saying now isn't the best time to move to a city in complete economic turmoil.
While I respect your opinion, if you know about DC the way I do then you know that Vegas is not even close to being a violent city. I was born in DC and raised in the suburbs back when the PG county schools were decent, nowadays you couldn't pay me to have my kids attend those schools. CCSD is no where near as bad as PG, they are not at the level of Fairfax or Loudoun in terms of giving education with their AP level classes; however, I will take CCSD over PG any day

If you know DC the way I do then you will remember a show 20 years ago called "City Under Siege" that was broadcast on channel 5 at 11:00 p.m. that highlighted not only the murders but every crime committed since the crack epidemic was very well known. I did my internship at the DC Public Defenders Office and part of that was to spend one day at the DC Medical Examiners office watching live autopsies. Not much has changed in DC since then, though not as many murders since the 300/year. So show me specifically where Vegas is even close to being violent. Point out to me how many drive-bys/rapes/carjackings/robberies/murders happen each night, when you can do this then you'll prove the article correct. Remember, it's written in Forbes which is a financial publication that doesn't carry much weight.

I've lived on the east coast all my life. I've also travelled to many areas looking for areas to live, Vegas fit what I was looking for to a "T". I can handle the heat fine, it beats carrying your own weight x 2 in sweat plus having a hard time breathing. If you look at my previous posts, I have said right from the beginning there is no utopia anywhere including Vegas. The east coast is having it's difficulties no different than Vegas. I bashed you because your post couldn't be more wrong in regards to the schools, family atmosphere and mostly about the heat. Come on man it's the desert

Old 06-23-2009, 06:14 PM

24 posts, read 104,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Ok, I see I read your thread wrong. You live in Vegas and want to move back to your hometown. I thought you said you wanted to move back to Vegas. I, personally, am a single guy with no kids from Arizona. I wanted my best friend to also move out here. He lives in Arizona, but has family out here who warned him not to. He has 4 kids and he told me that this is not the place for a family so he stayed in Phoenix. I do not know how it is like for a family here, so I will stay out of this discussion. For me though, this blows away my hometown of Phoenix, I am much happier here. Maybe if I had a wife and kids, I might not think the same way, who knows?

I was single too when I moved here. I will always have the found memories of my single life living in Vegas. That's what matters when all is said and done. Enjoy it while it last.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Wow, another one who is completely oblivious to what is happening here. I see this is one of those forums where someone with an opinion other than your own gets flamed. I get that. However, I made a wise choice to get the hell out of this town in order to better my life and to secure a good future for my kids. I based this decision on facts not opinions. Another little fact to keep in mind if you care about your child's education? Las Vegas has a 48% high school graduation rate. Do you understand what that means? Once again, look it up. Unfortunately most of what I have said is 100% true.
If I'm oblivious to anything in Las Vegas I guess it's because I have been here for 45 years and have seen all the ups and downs, and people that just don't get what Las Vegas is all about come and go. Mostly they just keep coming and never go though, so if you're leaving I'm glad, but I guess you plan to leave a lot of bitterness in your wake. I raised two kids here. My daughter is teaching at a local middle school and wouldn't leave her home town for anything. I respect opinions of others, but I don't respect out and out lies. But I should be thanking you because we've been hoping to stop the growth for 20 years now. Maybe we should put you in charge of that.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:23 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,928,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I am ever, ever so thankful I was born a pessimist. I always think the worst is going to happen, and of course, through many, many years the worst has never happened to me, even worrying about my car breaking down on the way to work, but oh the celebrations we pessimists have! Ok! The car didn't break down going to work last night, but once there, the smiles on my face are ear to ear! Time to celebrate! I still had my job at the end of my shift! There's goes another celebration! My car didn't break down on my way home! Another celebration! Joy and happiness!

And the optimists? They're forever thinking the best is going to happen and when it doesn't? Where's the celebrations!
I'm also a pessimist too, and I see what you're saying--I try to prepare for the worst that can happen, and in that way I'm hardly ever disappointed. It may be that optimists think that is a bleak, miserable way of looking at things, but I really don't care for disappointments; and so far, it's turned out quite well for me.

Though I must admit, I think you may have gotten me beat on some pessimistic things--there's only been a few times that I've celebrated after getting to work and not having my car break down on me. But then when I was in school, I would always think that I did not pass the exam and would have to retake it monday--and then every time I did well on it (so that kind of thing just reinforces my pessimism).

Quote:
I was single too when I moved here. I will always have the fond memories of my single life living in Vegas. That's what matters when all is said and done. Enjoy it while it lasts.
When I was single, I lived in Bloomington, IN. That is so true: enjoy it while it lasts; I have such fond memories of my single life in Bloomington. I would be terribly distraught now if anything ever happened to my fiance, but it was nice being single; and I wasn't looking for anyone when I met my fiance, I was just enjoying being single. That's probably why whenever anyone says they're not happy being single, I would always tell them: the first thing you have to do is stop looking! (well, at least for me it worked, but maybe not for everyone...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas