Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 07:00 PM

13,813 posts, read 28,525,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish4evr View Post
The original poster suggested that the "crisis" was over and all's good. I don't mean to rain on that parade, but using the example of delivering pizza, especially if using his own vehicle, he might want to check with his insurance carrier. Nevada has some of the highest automobile insurance rates in the country. Using a private vehicle, for commercial purposes, can and might significantly change insurability. If hired as an independent contractor, that still may be defined as a commercial purpose.

I use that example, not to debate, but as a word to the wise. That particular job, could easily become a very expensive means to the end. In the event of a MVA, while in the act of delivering pizza, without adequate insurance could be devastating, financially.

I'm not in insurance, or real estate for that matter. I like to sleep at night.. My whole point is to.....BE CAREFUL
Sound advice. Most also don't realize that if you are in an accident and driving while over the legal drinking limit, your auto insurance company will not pay a dime. All insurance bets are off, once you're over the legal limit and driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 07:12 PM

11,178 posts, read 16,042,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Relax...I just meant that it makes me feel old because it doesn't seem like
it's been around that long.

Ahhh. Gotcha.

And speaking of old.....

I remember taking a computer science class in college in 1974 and learning Fortran.

Now, that's old!

Old 06-21-2009, 07:21 PM

13,813 posts, read 28,525,834 times
I began my "Data Processing' career in 1977. Today, I'm still programming in COBOL

Old 06-21-2009, 07:21 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,426,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
WHAT....lower themselves to a HOUSEKEEPING job.....NEVER.....
That seems somewhat judgemental. Do you really think the Hard Rock will hire someone who is overqualified for the job?

Old 06-21-2009, 07:44 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,240,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
That seems somewhat judgemental. Do you really think the Hard Rock will hire someone who is overqualified for the job?
No PhDs. But they might go for a BS in communications. Or a high school graduate.

They figure at this point they get a year or two. And then maybe put you someplace else inside.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:13 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,273,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post

I do not understand how someone could be overqualified for a job? Isn't that a good thing?

Old 06-21-2009, 09:17 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,240,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
I began my "Data Processing' career in 1977. Today, I'm still programming in COBOL
Are you really. I learned Cobol but never got past class assignments. I actually am very good at assembly and macro languages in a number of dialects including some I had invented. And fortran, Basic, pascal, C, C+, a couple of pascal derivatives used at Xerox, Lately HTML and a number of its derivatives. I also use a script language out of england a lot.

I have reached that pinnacle of programming where I can write in any language...but badly.

JFK you might do well in Las Vegas...Cobol and old IBM languages and equipment. Sometimes emulated on modern gear. The mind boggles.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:17 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,342,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I do not understand how someone could be overqualified for a job? Isn't that a good thing?
I think being overqualified is frowned upon b/c the employer gets the sense that the overqualified applicant is only interested in that job out of desperation. In other words, the employer thinks that the applicant may only stay in that position for a short time, until he or she can find a job more appropriate to their qualifications.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:20 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,342,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
They just do not really want to work. A lot of them lost their job, then went on unemployment and became lazy. That is why I have zero respect for anyone who is on unemployment. I am proud to say I have NEVER went on unemployment in my whole life. Whenever I lost a job, I immediately went out and got another one.
Do you really look down on EVERYONE on unemployment? I know people who have taken it and they are certainly not lazy. It's meant to throw people a bone as they look for work. It can cost a lot of money to look for work (travel, new clothes, perhaps a consult, etc) so the unemployment benefits can help with that in addition to basic expenses.

There are certainly some people on unemployment who become lazy, btu it's not the whole group.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:55 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,273,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
Do you really look down on EVERYONE on unemployment? I know people who have taken it and they are certainly not lazy. It's meant to throw people a bone as they look for work. It can cost a lot of money to look for work (travel, new clothes, perhaps a consult, etc) so the unemployment benefits can help with that in addition to basic expenses.

There are certainly some people on unemployment who become lazy, but it's not the whole group.
I just do not see the point of it. I had a friend who went on it for 6 months. He did exactly what I said, he just sat around and drank. As soon as it ran out, he immediately got another job. I have never had a problem finding a job after losing one. If I had gone on unemployment, I would have become lazy. I should know, when my mother died, I got an inheritance. I became lazy, and did not work and just lived on it until it was all gone, pretty much the same situation as unemployment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas