Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2009, 10:52 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,275,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish4evr View Post
Good post, LV may be preceived as Sin City, partially because it sells, and the mystique of the "City" is another. LV is a service based economy, and the economy does not revolve around most service based incomes. Nots I said most.

If you travel around the valley, you will find very "well appointed" private residences, many FOR SALE. Many more residences, I might add than there are incomes to fill them. With that building boom came the masses of people all thinking that Vegas was a place where past mistakes are forgiven and dreams are realized.

There always has been, and always will be service related employment, however trying to survive, or better yet support a family could be quite the challenge. In today's economy, living on $10 an hour would be very tough....period.

Many good professionals have avoided the LV area based on quality of life issues for themself and children. The introduction of charter schools took some of that concern away, however some people simply elect not to raise their children in "Sin City".

The original poster suggested that the "crisis" was over and all's good. I don't mean to rain on that parade, but using the example of delivering pizza, especially if using his own vehicle, he might want to check with his insurance carrier. Nevada has some of the highest automobile insurance rates in the country. Using a private vehicle, for commercial purposes, can and might significantly change insurability. If hired as an independent contractor, that still may be defined as a commercial purpose.

I use that example, not to debate, but as a word to the wise. That particular job, could easily become a very expensive means to the end. In the event of a MVA, while in the act of delivering pizza, without adequate insurance could be devastating, financially.

I'm not in insurance, or real estate for that matter. I like to sleep at night.. My whole point is to.....BE CAREFUL
You are correct. But, I have been in the delivery business (independent contractor using my own vehicle) since 1998. When I first started delivery work, I informed my insurance company. My insurance went from around $100 a month to over $500 a month I quickly changed insurance companies and NEVER told them what I did for a living again. I never have gotten in an at fault accident in my whole life, so I really am not that worried about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 11:08 PM

792 posts, read 1,303,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
You are correct. But, I have been in the delivery business (independent contractor using my own vehicle) since 1998. When I first started delivery work, I informed my insurance company. My insurance went from around $100 a month to over $500 a month I quickly changed insurance companies and NEVER told them what I did for a living again. I never have gotten in an at fault accident in my whole life, so I really am not that worried about it.
It is also my understanding that LV, and/or Clark County Nevada has one of the highest uninsured/underinsured rates in the country. Nevada is a no fault state...you don't have to be "at fault"....just involved. I have never been struck by lightning either, but I think I will pass on the kite and key trick.

I knew a vey nice family that had a kid, looking for a job. Took one, doing very similar work. Was stopped at W. Charleston and Jones. The kid was rear-ended by an uninsured DUI. His vehicle was forced forward into another vehicle, causing critical injury to infant in said vehicle. Keep in mind, he was stopped, sober,and trying to earn money for school.

Mom and Dad lost their business, home, were buried in their son's medical bills, as he suffered a broken neck....and lost insurability for a very long time.

I believe in live and let live...I just hope my words of advise don't come back to haunt you.....good luck

Old 06-20-2009, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyjimb View Post
WTF. What about those people that have marketing skills and STILL CAN'T FIND A JOB after 6 months. What about those 200,000 people that are looking for work?

I am watching channel 5 news a we speak. They just announced that the Hard Rock is going to have a job fair on the 22nd and 23rd for housekeepers. They said they have many openings available.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:22 PM

86 posts, read 307,000 times
Ok I agree that there are some lazy people but I have to defend the people who have worked their asses off trying to find a job and still havent found one.

My father is a very hard worker and he got laid off 2 yrs ago. He has been looking for a job ever since then. He has 25yrs of IT experience, and has applied for any kind of job he could find. Anything from McDonalds to things in his field. He still to this day hasnt gotten a job. So no I do not believe that it all 100% some bodys fault. This economy is crap and our so calld "great" president isnt doing **** about it.

So before you say that its 100% a single persons fault, research your facts first.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZtoLV View Post
Ok I agree that there are some lazy people but I have to defend the people who have worked their asses off trying to find a job and still haven't found one.

My father is a very hard worker and he got laid off 2 yrs ago. He has been looking for a job ever since then. He has 25yrs of IT experience, and has applied for any kind of job he could find. Anything from McDonald's to things in his field. He still to this day hasn't gotten a job. So no I do not believe that it all 100% some body's fault. This economy is crap and our so called "great" president isn't doing **** about it.

So before you say that its 100% a single persons fault, research your facts first.
I am sorry to hear that. However, this post relates to Las Vegas only. I am assuming your father probably lives in a smaller town. I know for a fact that there is lots of work available here. Look at the Las Vegas jobs section of Craigslist, absolutely tons of jobs posted everyday.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:10 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,958,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish4evr View Post
Good post, LV may be preceived as Sin City, partially because it sells, and the mystique of the "City" is another. LV is a service based economy, and the economy does not revolve around most service based incomes. Nots I said most.

If you travel around the valley, you will find very "well appointed" private residences, many FOR SALE. Many more residences, I might add than there are incomes to fill them. With that building boom came the masses of people all thinking that Vegas was a place where past mistakes are forgiven and dreams are realized.

There always has been, and always will be service related employment, however trying to survive, or better yet support a family could be quite the challenge. In today's economy, living on $10 an hour would be very tough....period.

Many good professionals have avoided the LV area based on quality of life issues for themself and children. The introduction of charter schools took some of that concern away, however some people simply elect not to raise their children in "Sin City".

The original poster suggested that the "crisis" was over and all's good. I don't mean to rain on that parade, but using the example of delivering pizza, especially if using his own vehicle, he might want to check with his insurance carrier. Nevada has some of the highest automobile insurance rates in the country. Using a private vehicle, for commercial purposes, can and might significantly change insurability. If hired as an independent contractor, that still may be defined as a commercial purpose.

I use that example, not to debate, but as a word to the wise. That particular job, could easily become a very expensive means to the end. In the event of a MVA, while in the act of delivering pizza, without adequate insurance could be devastating, financially.

I'm not in insurance, or real estate for that matter. I like to sleep at night.. My whole point is to.....BE CAREFUL
I have heard that about the insurance here being high. I don't get it myself, coming from MI, it is way lower here. Maybe MI is the one state that has NV beat. Just my luck

Old 06-21-2009, 01:37 AM

792 posts, read 1,303,504 times
I just had this conversation with my insurance underwriter last Friday...when I promptly stated..."I'm getting real sick of payin California rates...in Nevada". When she said, "Wrong...you are paying Nevada rates...in Nevada....California is actually lower". Then she dumped the stats for uninsured/underinsured in Nevada, reportable accidents with injury or property damage in Nevada....and on and on. Based on the zip code of where your vehicle is "garaged". It's almost time to move the "garage"...

Old 06-21-2009, 05:06 AM

11,178 posts, read 16,043,720 times
Quote:
I wish you the best of luck. You should have no problem getting a job. I started to think about it, and have come to the conclusion that for a while it was hard to find a job. But, that is now not the case anymore. It is now quite apparent that the recession is over and things are now looking up. Jobs are now plentiful and there for the picking.
I'm glad that you were able to find a second job so easliy, but there are errors in your premise. First of all, I seriously doubt that there are 10s of 1,000s of these jobs going begging. There are most likely even fewer 40 hr/wk full-time jobs available. But more importantly, if, for example, a 45-year old college graduate, who had recently lost his or her $50k - $100,000k IT or other type job walked into Domino's to apply for the same position that you did, they would not have been hired. The manager would realize that such a person would quit as soon as they found something better. A manager would much rather hire someone such as yourself, a person with fewer options, and someone who would probably keep working there even once the recession is over.

Once again, congratulations on your recent success, as well as the steps you are taking to turn your life around since the DUI.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:48 AM

21 posts, read 44,254 times
Quote:
This is the truth. I have had the same security guard job now for 2 and a half years. Even know I work 40 hours a week, the $9.50 an hour just is not cutting it for me. I really needed a second part time job. I got a DUI 3 years ago that just fell off this week, making me now eligible for delivery work again. I went out yesterday and applied for 2 pizza delivery jobs. I just got a call from one of them asking me if I can start Monday. Of course I accepted. This 11.2% unemployment is all crap. It just gives the lazy people who do not want to work something to complain about. I was worried with all the doom and gloom that I probably would not be able to get a second job. From now on, there will be absolutely no sympathy to anyone who says they are laid off or whatever. It only took one day for me to get a job, so it should be the same for everyone else.
LVD I just wanted to say congratulations on your new job! I showed my husband this post last night, and we both agreed it is time for us to come back.So, that was a resounding He** Yeah! His old boss out here called him the other week, and asked him to transfer back out here. I can't wait to come back to Vegas. We have been thinking about coming back for a while, Charlotte is just not for us.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:28 AM

1,558 posts, read 4,789,434 times
I agree there are many jobs out there. For people who need a job, they need to get out and look for help wanted signs walk in and fill out an application. For those that lose their job, it often means taking a lower paying job doing something else. Everyone has to start somewhere. It may mean cutting back on expenses.

Las Vegas Drunk is correct there is plenty of work available, it may just not be what you are looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas