Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 10:32 AM

165 posts, read 209,708 times

Advertisements

I haven't even moved into the house I recently bought in Las Vegas, but I can share my reasons for moving there. I work as a consultant in the software industry so I travel by air nearly every week of the year. Las Vegas has a good airport that connects to every major city in the country.

Since I'm gone often during the week, I want to live somewhere I can enjoy myself on the weekends. The climate is pretty good year round for the type of activities that I enjoy. I like riding my motorcycle and there's lots of open country near by to go for a cruise on the weekend. There's also Lake Mead if I miss the water too much. There are a ton of entertainment options in Las Vegas, so I will never lack something to do on the weekend.

The cost of living is pretty cheap compared to most major cities, and even with the recent price rebound I got a pretty good house for the money. Low taxes and cost of living mean my salary goes further and I can have a pretty good lifestyle compared to more expensive cities. All things considered Las Vegas gives me pretty good "bang for the buck" and I am looking forward to my time there. I will miss some things about Florida, but that's true about every place I have lived, even the ones that I didn't like very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 11:42 AM

611 posts, read 952,801 times
For reasons above and removing the need to work and have wages, I could retitle it "Why Retire In Vegas"...I love it...it's perfect...and mostly importantly the desert improves arthritis and swelling muscles considerably. I know people who leave for a two-week vacation from Vegas and start hurting again when heading in other directions across North America.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:37 PM

206 posts, read 241,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by binionrat View Post
For reasons above and removing the need to work and have wages, I could retitle it "Why Retire In Vegas"...I love it...it's perfect...and mostly importantly the desert improves arthritis and swelling muscles considerably. I know people who leave for a two-week vacation from Vegas and start hurting again when heading in other directions across North America.
Binionrat,

Yep, God willing, we will see you there in about 4-5 more years................

Old 08-06-2013, 05:59 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,155,560 times
looks like about 18 months for me

Old 08-06-2013, 06:42 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,816,739 times
One of the things I appreciate about Las Vegas is the clean air. At my place in Salt Lake City the air during the Winter is at times the worst in the nation. Most people don't know this about SLC - check the Utah SLC forum and you'll see the thread about it has the most replies.

Bill

Old 08-06-2013, 08:50 PM

November 2014 is my magic retirement date...so says my government pension statement and then I can be there for 6 months in the Winter....unless Obama's bill passes so Snowbirds can stay 8 months of 12...This back and forth every few months for a week or two is driving me crazy!! :-)

Old 08-06-2013, 09:30 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,150,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTES View Post
One of the things I appreciate about Las Vegas is the clean air. At my place in Salt Lake City the air during the Winter is at times the worst in the nation. Most people don't know this about SLC - check the Utah SLC forum and you'll see the thread about it has the most replies.

Bill
Is that because f the weather patern that prodces the thick fog you get up there at times?

Long time Vegas locals have a time-honored tradition of bitching about the following:

July and August
The drivers
Metro
Our inept and / or corrupt local politicians
The education situation
The fact that we don't have an Ikea here.

Right now, we are barely starting to recover from te biggest economic blow the valley has ever suffered, so the is a lot more pessimism out there than in years past.

The good things about Las Vegas, aside from the obvious entertainmnt options, include the following:

The lack of natural disasters
An up and coming tech sector
Proximity to gorgeous national parks and other outdoor activities
A very "live and let live" attittude amongst most locals
Relatvely low violent crime, given the population and the number of visitors (yes, there are bad areaas, but we all know where they are and can avoid them)
Vegas is very pet-friendly and there are lots of animal lovers here. Plenty of dog parks, and pet activities. Also, the community really reacts with outrage to any reported animal cruelty.
The dry climate is very suitable for some people.
The roads are generally well-maintained and well lit (there are exceptios of course)

Old 08-06-2013, 10:24 PM

I think your list is awesome NLVGal! I especially love the "Live and Let Live" feeling in LV...There are very few people I have met so far that sit on a pedestal and preach to others how to live their life and telling people THEIR opinion. Empathy and concern is one thing, but it's great nobody imposes their sex, religion, or the best rock and roll on ya...LOL It seems there isn't a huge gap in generations either as most events, shows, and entertainment cater to any age...This coming from a 55+ female who loved the Punk Rock Bowling and Music Festival in May down by Fremont and stayed right til the last band at the end of the night...So many mohawks, tats, and great music. There may be some snobs in the Valley but I sure haven't met them yet. So far some of my best friends are from this site and I look forward to meeting more of you in the years to come.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:52 AM

33 posts, read 51,661 times
Default Nice to finally see...

So we're considering a move to the Vegas area and have kids. It is refreshing to finally see lists and points of things people like about living in Vegas. I realize every place has pros and cons but it seems especially difficult finding non-Vegas bashers. Thanks for these points and lists!

Old 08-07-2013, 06:35 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,816,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Is that because f the weather patern that prodces the thick fog you get up there at times?
The cold Winter air sits still (an "inversion") and gets dirtier and dirtier unless a storm blows it out.

BTW - a great list of Las Vegas attributes.

Bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas