Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 08:16 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,131,941 times

Advertisements

It's not so much the traffic, it's the reason for the traffic. A lot of the problem could be resolved with a little planning.
Waiting for the car in front of me, to turn into somewhere, with idiots standing in the way, is infuriating!
A turning lane would make a hell of a difference.
Using those idiotic reflective bumps instead of white lines causes quite a bit of hold up, when the direction is suddenly changed, through intersections, etc. Those two things alone would help a lot.
Sensor based lights instead of time based lights would help a lot too. I don't know how many hours I alone could save if the green light with no traffic would change and allow the backed up red light to clear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 01:13 AM

2,037 posts, read 2,993,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
For every member on this board that is struggling to find work, there are 2-3 times as many that are gainfully employed. I say, we all should network to help those that are looking.

I have help two members on here find ($12-15 hour)jobs. Both have quit so far.

Sent from watch
Only recommend someone for a job that you can personally vouch for...

Old 09-29-2013, 02:16 PM

1,374 posts, read 2,439,868 times
cheap housing, newer infrastructure (compare to older cities like NYC, Boston, SF..etc), nice shopping malls, and sunny, blue sky most time of the year.

Old 09-29-2013, 06:15 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,174,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datafeed View Post
Only recommend someone for a job that you can personally vouch for...
Word

Sent from watch

Old 10-16-2013, 09:08 AM

6 posts, read 7,761 times
Vegas sucks to live in as employers take advantage of you any possible way they can,the school system sucks, I can't think of any good reason to live in Las Vegas.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:13 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,798,692 times
Then you haven't read the thread and the comments made by those of us who live here and enjoy it. And some of us don't rely on local employers or the school system, so your argument is invalid

Old 10-16-2013, 09:23 AM

555 posts, read 1,260,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainbiker221 View Post
Vegas sucks to live in as employers take advantage of you any possible way they can,the school system sucks, I can't think of any good reason to live in Las Vegas.

Not every employer takes advantage of their employees. You got some really good companies (both large and small) to work for here in town. Granted, some places are slave labor places (no bennies, long hours, low pay, demeaning behavior to employees, etc) but if that's the only type of job you could get, then yeah, the employer is taking advantage of you because you need to work your butt off to make a living.

You are spot on about the school system. One of the worst in the country so far as test scores and student drop out rates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
Then you haven't read the thread and the comments made by those of us who live here and enjoy it. And some of us don't rely on local employers or the school system, so your argument is invalid
While Vegas has many perks for those of us who live here, its not for everyone and it's not everyone's heaven on Earth. EVERYBODY'S OPINON IS VALID

Last edited by Kitchen Witch; 10-16-2013 at 10:02 AM..

Old 10-16-2013, 10:55 AM

371 posts, read 941,829 times
Hi guys I am all set to move to Vegas, however I was looking up certain used cars that I want in vegas area, and there ain't many of them, and when I checked few other cities there are a lot more. why is that? not many people actually live in vegas but mostly visitors? so they don't own cars? or outside vegas metro it's mostly desert and not that many people around?

willl this extend to other things? like finding the electronics I want, furnitures, my hobbies many not that many people share the same hobbies as me vs other cities? maybe vegas is good to visit and not to live...someone try to convince me otherwise.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:05 PM

654 posts, read 1,324,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaythen01 View Post
Hi guys I am all set to move to Vegas, however I was looking up certain used cars that I want in vegas area, and there ain't many of them, and when I checked few other cities there are a lot more. why is that? not many people actually live in vegas but mostly visitors? so they don't own cars? or outside vegas metro it's mostly desert and not that many people around?

willl this extend to other things? like finding the electronics I want, furnitures, my hobbies many not that many people share the same hobbies as me vs other cities? maybe vegas is good to visit and not to live...someone try to convince me otherwise.
Look, a LOT of very helpful people have gone out of their way to answer many questions for you. I'll try to do the same if I can help with something that hasn't been addressed. That said, asking people to put in more effort to "try to convince me otherwise" seems asking a bit much of people that have already been very helpful. Not everyone is just sitting at their keyboard waiting to answer YOUR questions. We'll help where we can & give insight where it's possible, but ultimately you need to decide if Las Vegas is right for you. Hopefully, if you decide to come here, you'll "pay it forward" and help others on this board as so many have helped you.

I'll try to help out with the car issue. For whatever reason, it seems more difficult than normal here to find a decent used car. (My experience is dated, 4+ years ago - however friends & others since have confirmed it's about the same.) Maybe it's the climate & the large number of "curbstoners" (individual sellers on craigslist & elsewhere acting like they're selling "for a friend/family" when in reality they're a small-time dealer selling who knows what). For whatever reason, people seem overly optimistic & stubborn about their asking price for used cars (yes, it happens everywhere, but seems stronger here). If you have the option to research & buy a car elsewhere before coming here, I'd suggest looking into that option.

As for electronics, Frys is a dream for the tech geek/electronics nut with the caveat that the customer service is, um, lacking. If you can deal with that, it kicks the pants off Best Buy & the like. Personally, I do a lot of online shopping with Newegg.com - Computer Parts, Laptops, Electronics, and More! along with a few other random online sites. Beyond that, you can bet I'll be dropping some $$ at Frys on Black Friday/Cyber Monday or some combination thereof.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:09 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,798,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen Witch View Post
While Vegas has many perks for those of us who live here, its not for everyone and it's not everyone's heaven on Earth. EVERYBODY'S OPINON IS VALID
And my VALID opinion is that his argument is invalid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas