Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 09:10 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,374,099 times

Advertisements

People always wonder why we live in Las Vegas. Not only is it the most exciting city in the country, but we are literally surrounded by incredible beauty, and fun things to do, within relatively short drives from Las Vegas.

There are two very nice videos on this page. Watch: Utah National Parks | Utah.com

...and a couple more here: Highway 12 Scenic Byway | Utah.com

I'm sure many of us would like to keep this a secret, but it's already out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 09:23 PM

23,235 posts, read 29,075,721 times
A low-income, car-less bus rider will hotly disagree with you!

For the too-many minimum wage workers in this town, they ask themselves every day: What's so exciting about living here?

Last edited by tijlover; 08-04-2013 at 09:42 PM..

Old 08-04-2013, 10:16 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,853,216 times
I agree with Buzz123 that Las Vegas is the most exciting city in the country with gorgeous surroundings. Las Vegas is always pulling a rabbit out of a hat. Sure Las Vegas is going through tough times with employment and the housing market (that seems to be finally rebounding) but the city will eventually pull out of this temporary rut and thrive once again. Viva Las Vegas!

-Cheers.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:56 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,493,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

For the too-many minimum wage workers in this town, they ask themselves every day: What's so exciting about living here?
It's not always a bed of roses for everyone so try to improve your living condition and stop being miserable. You can always move out of town! I love it here!!

Old 08-05-2013, 05:13 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,132,100 times
What some fail to comprehend is that some of us were born and bred here. We have family and long-term friends here. Some of us even have careers here.

Las Vegas, is a city with an energy all it's own. It will chew you up and spit you out if you don't come in with the right amount of cynicism. That said, it's a place where people come to redefine themselves. Often successfully. Other times, not.

Last edited by observer53; 08-05-2013 at 10:52 AM.. Reason: response to deleted post

Old 08-05-2013, 07:25 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,813,980 times
I've lived in a handful of states and over 30 different cities throughout the West. I travel a lot. One thing I've noticed is how polarizing Las Vegas is for many people. Most seem to either love it or hate it. This city really brings out strong opinions in people. Note: For the record, I'm a part-timer in Las Vegas. I'm a legal resident due to property ownership, but a part-timer nonetheless.

Locals I know in Las Vegas seem to have some of this love/hate relationship going on. Whenever I wax poetic to them about the city, they are surprisingly quick to point out the flaws in their home town. And, they're quick to say things like, "Well, you don't know the real Las Vegas like we do." It's almost like they're trying to talk me out of liking Las Vegas. Seriously, it'd be nice to have a conversation with a local who, when I praise Las Vegas, simply responds with, "Yes. It's a nice place. I like it too."

Bill

Old 08-05-2013, 07:36 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,791,310 times
I'm fortunate that my neighbors love it here. Yes, that's right, I actually talk to my neighbors and they are very nice people. I talk to them when I go to the mailbox or walk over to the pool every afternoon to lie out in the 105 degree sun or take a swim in the pool. My neighborhood is AMAZING. The weather is absolutely perfect for me. I love that I'm NOT trapped inside for 5 months out of the year like I was in New England from November-March. I love that any night of the week I can go watch live music somewhere if I want. The sidewalks don't roll up at 9:00pm. I love that I can take day trips to places I've never been, and overnight trips to places I remember as a kid. I love that I live in a city where people want to come visit, as we left many friends back East, but our calendar is starting to fill up with visitors. And I love that I can afford a place here where I have 2 bedrooms and a loft JUST for those visitors. And I love that I get to show people this amazing valley for the first time when they come out to visit. Nope, can't think of anything that I don't love. Maybe I should start drinking too much, gambling too much, whoring, or "shysting" (can I use that as a verb??).. then I will be just as miserable as our troll who obviously hates itself enough to find fault with anywhere it is.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:49 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,165,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTES View Post
I've lived in a handful of states and over 30 different cities throughout the West. I travel a lot. One thing I've noticed is how polarizing Las Vegas is for many people. Most seem to either love it or hate it. This city really brings out strong opinions in people. Note: For the record, I'm a part-timer in Las Vegas. I'm a legal resident due to property ownership, but a part-timer nonetheless.

Locals I know in Las Vegas seem to have some of this love/hate relationship going on. Whenever I wax poetic to them about the city, they are surprisingly quick to point out the flaws in their home town. And, they're quick to say things like, "Well, you don't know the real Las Vegas like we do." It's almost like they're trying to talk me out of liking Las Vegas. Seriously, it'd be nice to have a conversation with a local who, when I praise Las Vegas, simply responds with, "Yes. It's a nice place. I like it too."

Bill
People will find flaws in their hometown. No surprise what they find in LV. No matter what, residents of this city still forget that this is HOME until they leave.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:01 AM

15,868 posts, read 14,501,899 times
Anyone trying to live on minimum wage anywhere is not going to be having fun. This has nothing to do with LV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

Old 08-05-2013, 09:05 AM

2,180 posts, read 4,539,970 times
Thinking about going to Utah with weekend... any advice on a "lite" two day trip there with the least amount of driving into the state?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas