Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 08:54 PM

294 posts, read 1,334,759 times

Advertisements

No one has mentioned the burrows that walk up to your car in the north. I have pics somewhere...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2007, 09:07 PM

Here they are
Attached Thumbnails
Things I wish I had known before I moved here....-picture022.jpg   Things I wish I had known before I moved here....-picture011.jpg  

Old 08-12-2007, 09:11 PM

Oh and here is a mountain bike endo at Wal-Mart by my friend Scott completely unrelated to this thread but I'm guessing some will find it amusing
Attached Thumbnails
Things I wish I had known before I moved here....-spooneyendo.jpg  

Old 08-12-2007, 10:42 PM

2,404 posts, read 10,690,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notn8tive View Post
In Southern Henderson (near 7 hills) when the road signs were first hung, three PARALLEL streets actually intersected at one corner,until the city realized they were bending the laws of geometry, etc. Green Valley Parkway met Maryland Parkway at Eastern. Never mind the fact that GV Pkwy stops/starts out there a few times due to washes, and Maryland Pkwy also ended at Lake Mead (now renamed St. Rose Pkwy--too many "Parkways").

They "fixed" the problem by renaming the section of Maryland Pkwy to be GV Pkwy, so only TWO parallel roads intersect. I guess three was too much even for Southern Nevada.

I used to live on a curved street where the street numbers started over beginning at my house, but the street name was the same. That always confused the pizza guys but when the fire department got lost then we complained. Henderson's solution again was a quickie--They just made the first section "South" and the portion from our house on was called "West". They claimed this was less confusing than renaming part of the street. Less confusing would have been to caught it when the housing tract was built.

Part of the Joy of Southern Nevada.
No, they renamed it to Sunridge Heights Parkway, and Green Valley Parkway now connects to it, they did the blasting to the mountain to make it work...

Old 08-12-2007, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notn8tive View Post
No, Las Vegas' signs are green, with envy for Henderson. Look at our Parks & Rec, schools (some are bad I know, but most are good), and traffic. We whip Vegas' butt. But our signs are actually faded beyond reading, unless they have been replaced with the pretty ones with the City Seal.

And the manure factory is probably the pig farm in North Las Vegas, that used to be miles from anything but is now surrounded by homes/schools and people complaining about the smell. With the cost of land, at least those pigs are very rich now.
Oh yeah, because the traffic moves real fast on South Eastern Avenue...or on 215 or on Warm Springs or on Paseo Verde or on Sunset, or on pretty much any other Henderson Street...

Old 08-13-2007, 08:44 PM

16 posts, read 56,079 times
Default A little late...

This is for ou812girl and any one else interested... My husband is originally from the Chicago area and my whole family misses White Castle. My husband called White Castle headquarters and was told that White Castle is a family business and is very careful about expanding too far beyond their "supply line." Translation: The frozen food section is the only place you're going to find White Castles for a long time. Sometimes you can find the extra large boxes in the bulk frozen food case in Albertson's. If you can find the plain burger vs. cheeseburger, grab them. They go really fast.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:48 AM

New Jersey is pretty far from Chicago and they have White Castle...

I don't like White Castle, but my mom goes crazy for it...

Old 08-14-2007, 12:58 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,368,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billeethakid View Post
No one has mentioned the burrows that walk up to your car in the north. I have pics somewhere...
Billee, Billee, Billee. Burrows are holes in the ground where trolls live. Burros are the critters that it's illegal to stop and feed or otherwise mess with. Something for your pre-Vegas education; Burros should not be encouraged to come up to cars as it is not only dangerous for people, it is dangerous for the burro. When they wonder out in the highway where people are flying by at 80 MPH somebody's gonna end up dead. Besides they get aggressive when they expect to get a treat. People get bitten and/or kicked.

Old 08-14-2007, 11:47 PM

98 posts, read 433,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kingsinvegas View Post

9. Lake Mead is beautiful and everyone should see it at least once but if you come from any of the Great Lake states you will be disappointed. (Even my lab was looking at me like I was joking)

Hahaha you have a point there - but still it is a nice change I think Lake Mead is one of my favorite places

Old 08-15-2007, 12:00 AM

98 posts, read 433,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billeethakid View Post

I still have yet to see a burro - dammit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas