Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 01:29 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,192,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
on Decatur, the city limits are at Sahara Ave.....this is from way back when City and county were't on speaking terms.....OH ....Wait...... that's NOW isnt it

Actually not..the City of LV and the County do very well coordinating zoning and planning in the NW. The old days of changing jurisdiction to change zoning are gone. You can still get added to the CofLV...but the zoning from the County sticks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 04:40 PM

255 posts, read 361,252 times
I moved to the Las Vegas area in October of 2003. I remember looking at a number of homes in the Henderson area that were reasonably priced, but decided to lease an apartment for 6 months so that I could get a feel of the area before determining in which part of town I wanted to live.

Just six months later, there was a drastic change in the market. I remember co-workers camping out over night at building sites so that they could be first in line to be placed into a lottery to get their names on a list to purchase a yet-to-be-constructed home. Some of these sites did not even have any models available to view. People were buying sight unseen. I remember racing to open houses so that I could be one of dozens to submit an offer on any available home on the market. Houses were selling out fast. You had to rush to be first to view a new listing because in just a matter of hours it would no longer be available. I remember offering $15,000 above asking price for one home, and losing out to someone who offered even more. Mine was just one of the top 15 offers made on that listing that day.

I finally landed my first Henderson home in May of 2004 for a purchase price of $255,000. The previous owner had purchased it as a new construction just three years earlier at $120.000. Last October, I purchased a new construction in Southern Highlands and decided to place my Henderson home on the market. It set vacant for 6 months. I finally had to lease it out for $400 a month less than my monthly mortgage.

I wish I had known all this before I moved to Las Vegas in October of 2003. I would have saved a lot of money (and possibly made some) had I purchased immediately instead of waiting 6 months.

Old 07-25-2007, 05:02 PM

515 posts, read 1,832,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brosati View Post
I finally landed my first Henderson home in May of 2004 for a purchase price of $255,000. The previous owner had purchased it as a new construction just three years earlier at $120.000. Last October, I purchased a new construction in Southern Highlands and decided to place my Henderson home on the market. It set vacant for 6 months. I finally had to lease it out for $400 a month less than my monthly mortgage.

I wish I had known all this before I moved to Las Vegas in October of 2003. I would have saved a lot of money (and possibly made some) had I purchased immediately instead of waiting 6 months.
Just curious, what did you list your Henderson home for?

Old 07-25-2007, 05:27 PM

255 posts, read 361,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Angry View Post
Just curious, what did you list your Henderson home for?
I listed it for $259,000, but could not compete with so many similar homes for sale in the area where the original owners could sell the same model for a lot less and still make a decent profit.

Also, I thought I could not afford to pay 6% commission, so I went the “For Sale-by-Owner” route offering 3% to any buyer’s agent. I later heard that real estate agents have an un-written agreement among themselves not to show “For Sale-by-Owner” homes to their clients. I don’t know if that’s true or not, but in the six months that I had the house up for sale, I only had two agents show it to their clients. I received no offers.

It's a Del Webb home in Sun City MacDonald Ranch. Perhaps the 55+ age restriction had something to do with my not being able to find a buyer.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:34 PM

30 posts, read 261,800 times
NO, there are no white castles here ( just frozen ones at Albertsons) and Lake Mead has over 500 feet of shore line. It's a man-made lake and gets very crowded. It's alright as far as lakes go. No good scenery though. It also gets over 110 degrees at the laske so bring sunscreen. We have two seasons- HOT!!!!!!!!! and windy COLD. Good luck

Old 07-25-2007, 10:20 PM

10 posts, read 67,294 times
Ok I want to know where RedWingsFan lives so that I can move to that area! I HAVE to move to Las Vegas now, I have my license in that state. But you guys are scaring me with all this bug talk! Seriously this is a HUGE phobia for me. I've had it all my life and then I go and decide and get my license to work in state full of bugs!

Old 07-25-2007, 11:43 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,345,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T27taylor View Post
NO, there are no white castles here ( just frozen ones at Albertson's) and Lake Mead has over 500 feet of shore line. It's a man-made lake and gets very crowded. It's alright as far as lakes go. No good scenery though. It also gets over 110 degrees at the lake so bring sunscreen. We have two seasons- HOT!!!!!!!!! and windy COLD. Good luck
Don't you mean Lake Mead has over 550 MILES of shoreline? 550 feet wouldn't be big enough for all those silly Californicators. No, the line is, we have two seasons here...summer and January.

Old 07-25-2007, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingonza View Post
Ok I want to know where RedWingsFan lives so that I can move to that area! I HAVE to move to Las Vegas now, I have my license in that state. But you guys are scaring me with all this bug talk! Seriously this is a HUGE phobia for me. I've had it all my life and then I go and decide and get my license to work in state full of bugs!
If you don't move here it won't be no skin off our noses since 7,000 others will take your place that month alone. However, if you want to move here, come on down, but you need to chill. There are very few bugs here. Almost none. I guarantee that WHEREVER you are coming from the bug problem is ten times worse than ours if not 100 times worse. All this talk about bugs is exaggerated and makes it sound worse than it is. The truth is that the lack of those things that make life miserable in other states, especially in the summer, is what makes Las Vegas so popular. The lack of humidity is the reason for so few bugs. We don't even have fleas here so your dog will be happy. But you won't find anyplace on this planet that has zero bugs. If bugs couldn't live there neither could we.

Old 07-26-2007, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingonza View Post
Mingonza...you are scaring ME. You have a hygene job in Las Vegas and you are afraid of a few harmless bugs, but you aren't afraid of scorpions that are poisonous? Hmmm. Now that's scary.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:03 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,744,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvkewlkid View Post
So you're afraid of showing your kids the real world? Just like diversity...
You should seek professional help. You are always bringing this issue up. That's not normal, there's got to be an underlying issue there for you. Deal with it and move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas