Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2008, 08:58 AM

780 posts, read 1,765,763 times

Advertisements

Hey Pam and Bill, I sent you a DM as to the information, look forward to meeting you although most of feel we already know you thru your blog.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:00 AM

6,196 posts, read 5,444,124 times
Sorry to say Shoneys is out for me, I would love to join in all the fun and food but...

Another celeb, wohoooo!

Yes I have voted and now I pray for the country and the troops!

Old 11-04-2008, 09:03 AM

197 posts, read 485,435 times
Allright - I'm going to try to meet up at Shoneys. My biggest problem is my terrible memory. So if I can remember, then I'll be there. In paint covered clothing, and straight from the jobsite, lol!

Old 11-04-2008, 09:32 AM

6,196 posts, read 5,444,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarijen View Post
Allright - I'm going to try to meet up at Shoneys. My biggest problem is my terrible memory. So if I can remember, then I'll be there. In paint covered clothing, and straight from the jobsite, lol!

And what kind of painting do you do? residential, commercial or industrial?
Good thing you are not in FL, not much going on for painting of any type.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:52 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,349,268 times
I can't wait till Saturday. Jen, tie a string around your finger.....
Painter, your presence will be sorely missed, but I'll "Cowgirl up"
Gailli- I hope you aren't disappointed, I tone it down for my blog.

Now if we could just convince Bones to wander down off the Plateau, I'd look like an absolute angel. HeeHee It will be fun no matter what happens.
Pam

Old 11-04-2008, 10:46 AM

197 posts, read 485,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the painter View Post
And what kind of painting do you do? residential, commercial or industrial?
Good thing you are not in FL, not much going on for painting of any type.
Residential. Mine!
LOL!
I call it the "jobsite" because I don't live there yet. I bought the house a month ago, but it isn't ready for move in quite yet. The clothes are covered in paint, but I don't know if I'll be plumbing, flooring or what yet. So many things to do that it doesn't really matter - so whichever the fancy strikes, that'll be it.
I actually have a lot of prep work before I can paint. The exterior of the house is western red cedar (now! I had the asbestos removed) and it was painted like 60 years ago with lead paint. That lead paint should be removed. In places, it is removing itself in sheets.
The plan is to remove the paint with raw linseed oil and an infrared paint remover. I will actually be stripping the paint from the entire exterior of the building and catching all chips for proper disposal. I'll then be able to replace anything rotten with new western red cedar and fill with epoxy fill any holes. That will provide a good starter surface for paint. Then I'll paint with Allback organic linseed oil paint. It is 50 year paint and will not peal or mildew and has no VOCs. It is more expensive than latex or alkyd, and folks in the US don't generally know much about it, but I had a friend who did their historical building with it 15 years ago and it looks like they painted it yesterday, so that sold me. I figure I'm going to do all this prep work - the paint job should last forever.

My "real job" here is working on computers. What do you paint? Interior? Exterior?
Ever strip an entire house? Will I have nightmares of giant paint chips trying to eat me?

Old 11-04-2008, 02:33 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarijen View Post
Residential. Mine!
LOL!
I call it the "jobsite" because I don't live there yet. I bought the house a month ago, but it isn't ready for move in quite yet. The clothes are covered in paint, but I don't know if I'll be plumbing, flooring or what yet. So many things to do that it doesn't really matter - so whichever the fancy strikes, that'll be it.
I actually have a lot of prep work before I can paint. The exterior of the house is western red cedar (now! I had the asbestos removed) and it was painted like 60 years ago with lead paint. That lead paint should be removed. In places, it is removing itself in sheets.
The plan is to remove the paint with raw linseed oil and an infrared paint remover. I will actually be stripping the paint from the entire exterior of the building and catching all chips for proper disposal. I'll then be able to replace anything rotten with new western red cedar and fill with epoxy fill any holes. That will provide a good starter surface for paint. Then I'll paint with Allback organic linseed oil paint. It is 50 year paint and will not peal or mildew and has no VOCs. It is more expensive than latex or alkyd, and folks in the US don't generally know much about it, but I had a friend who did their historical building with it 15 years ago and it looks like they painted it yesterday, so that sold me. I figure I'm going to do all this prep work - the paint job should last forever.

My "real job" here is working on computers. What do you paint? Interior? Exterior?
Ever strip an entire house? Will I have nightmares of giant paint chips trying to eat me?
Oh! I have a cedar shake house! It is painted a burnt orange. I've scoured the internet trying to figure out how to get the paint off of it. I would love to have it natural. I come from an area that has tons of natural cedar shake houses.

Alas, I think I'm going to paint it gray.

Old 11-04-2008, 05:54 PM

3,897 posts, read 1,228,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailli View Post
Good morning everyoe, hope everyone got out and voted, I did the early thing.

Having some people over tonight for an election party so busy getting food ready., It should be fun(and hopefully not a brawl, LOL)

Hope to see some of you at Shoneys on Sat at 11:30, looking forward to it.

Well, have a great day everyone.

Gailli, it looks like hubby and I won't be able to make it this time!! The VOLS are playing at 1pm and we have ordered the Pay-per-view again!! Hubby likes to watch the pre-game too and since we live so far away, the timing won't work out for us this time!! I'm so disappointed - but we'll try again next time!!

Old 11-04-2008, 08:47 PM

780 posts, read 1,765,763 times
Bebette, sorry that you wont make it, I'm not sure if there will be any more after this, not many people interested enough and with the Holidays coming most will be too busy, we will have to see, if anyone else drops out for Sat we may have to cancel it also.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:50 AM

2,514 posts, read 4,954,287 times
Pam, you mentioned that you used to waitress. In NY? Your profile pic looks very familiar - even your husband looks familiar. I waitressed & tended bar for a time in the early 80's & my hubby owned 2 restaurants....wondering if that's why you look like someone I've seen before? Or maybe you just have that friendly "gee, I must know her" face!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville