Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2008, 07:51 AM

6,196 posts, read 5,443,053 times

Advertisements

aqua,
NOW I am impressed, you have taken on a HUGH job! It amazes me how many home owners and some "pros" skip the prep or take short cuts when it is the most vital part of the job. I have done all of it, can't say we ever stripped a whole house though. Most dont want to pay for it or they can't afford it. We really specialize in interiors and the color design as a whole, then throw in some decorating. I am one of those strange gals that love to redo, renovate and remodel.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:40 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,347,702 times
Piper- I waitressed for close to 20 years in Red Hook, NY,same building 2 different owners. Maybe you were passing by and stopped in while traveling on Route 9? It wouldn't be the first time that years later I ran across someone I had once waited on.... Early 80's I waitressed in Amenia at Four Brothers and also at Old Mexico in Hyde Park. Where were your husbands restaurants?

I doubt you ever ran across Bill unless the restaurants used to be in New Orleans? Bill grew up in New Orleans and the last couple of decades he lived in rural Mississippi, we met online 4 or 5 years ago.( Take a look at my blog, start at the first entry)
Piper haven't you always lived in the Albany area or am I remembering wrong?

Gailli, no worries, we're still coming on Saturday unless a medical emergency pops up. We're even getting hair cuts today so we look presentable. We're trying a new place too, so keep your fingers crossed they can do a good job.
Pam

Old 11-05-2008, 09:00 AM

811 posts, read 2,009,308 times
Pam, what time tomorrow?

Old 11-05-2008, 09:25 AM

4,951 posts, read 2,537,328 times

Hi everyone!!! I finally made it back online. I hope all is well with everyone. I haven't read back yet...it's going to take me a while to get caught up. I missed y'all!!!

SMG...how is your son doing??

Last edited by fallfanatic; 11-05-2008 at 09:53 AM.. Reason: Had to add a picture....

Old 11-05-2008, 09:51 AM

Welcome home Fall Fanatic! Details, give us details on how things went!
Mystic- DM on its way to you.
Pam

Old 11-05-2008, 10:12 AM

4,951 posts, read 2,537,328 times
Hi Pam!!! It has been crazy and hectic....but then, moving always is. You would think that being military I would be use to moving by now, but I am absolutely not.
Our movers got here yesterday and now the house is covered in boxes. I have only barely started trying to get them emptied. I had alot of laundry built up, so I got on that first. I figured the kids might need some clean clothes to wear to school, so I got about 5 loads done and I still have at least 3 more to go. (And that was just for 1 week without our machines!!!)
I am so worn out from the whole moving process right now that I don't really have any energy to start tackling the boxes. I think I am going to take it slowly and not fret if I don't get it all done at once. At least that is my plan at the moment...LOL. I have a tendancy to try to get everything done at one time and then I overdo it and wear myself out more than I can even explain. So my plan is to try and take it slowly and remember that I don't have to get it all done right now.
I also have meetings at all 3 kids schools today which will take up most of the afternoon....so I have a legitament reason for holding off on tackling the unboxing. Right???

It snowed last night here, only about 1/2" but it was sure pretty to watch.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:17 AM

2,514 posts, read 4,953,028 times
Pam - yep, I grew up in Colorado & I've been in NY state since 1980. First 4 years were in Dutchess county, then landed in the capital district. But my work had me in lots of different areas - Columbia county was always one of my faves! I do remember eating at both places you worked at, but that was a very long time ago. My husband's restaurants were in the Albany area - both still going with new owners at the helm.

New Orleans!!! Love it - only been there 3 times, but it definitely gets into your bloodstream! Very cool that you met online - it's nice to hear the success stories. Have you checked out Rance & Sweden's wedding pics - so wonderful! This CD forum is getting addicting! Everytime I come into the office to place an order or check my mail, I wind up on this thing "just for a coffee break" Well, I'm outta here for a while. Got a van full of deliveries & the sun is shining!

Have a great day everyone!

Old 11-05-2008, 10:32 AM

197 posts, read 485,232 times
Hik - look at silentpaintremover.com - its the only thing that I have found that does a good job of stripping large amounts of paint safely and is meant to do this on a large scale - like an entire house. It is pricey, but everyone on houseblogs.net has raved about it. Now, some people have made their own. I am doing both. I am purchasing an actual silent paint remover *and* making my own IR paint remover from a $20 infrared toaster oven from Walmart. That way I can really compare the two and see if there are any differences. Also, making my own has been, er, somewhat of a pain. Not difficult, but a pain. If Fred or you are handy, you should have no problem. I combined the instructions I found at "Ocean Manor House Blog" (google for it and IR paint remover) and what I just know from being "me" lol and deconstructed the toaster oven, leaving all the knobs in place, then built a new frame for it out of extruded aluminum and stove pipe. I added a handle made from a trowel. I have not, er, used it yet - it might be an abysmal failure. But I doubt it - the quartz elements turn on and can cook at 400 degrees and are the correct wattage... I just don't know how hot the handle will get. This thing is not exactly UL certified, LOL!

Painter - very cool. Yes, I always do prep work and never cut corners in any project. I've been known to "over engineer" but never to "under engineer". This is not my first rehab house, but it will be the largest challenge so far. I'm glad it is not my first project. I'd be crying! LOL! At this point, I recognize the deconstruction, I recognize it is the mess that comes before the reconstruction. I have little mantras I repeat when doing these things:

"Just keep swimming, Just keep swimming"
and
"How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time!"

You can see progress (or LACK of progress, as the case may or may not be) at my little personal house blog (I don't sell anything):
Tiny Bungalow

Old 11-05-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperspal View Post
Pam - yep, I grew up in Colorado & I've been in NY state since 1980. First 4 years were in Dutchess county, then landed in the capital district. But my work had me in lots of different areas - Columbia county was always one of my faves! I do remember eating at both places you worked at, but that was a very long time ago. My husband's restaurants were in the Albany area - both still going with new owners at the helm.

New Orleans!!! Love it - only been there 3 times, but it definitely gets into your bloodstream! Very cool that you met online - it's nice to hear the success stories. Have you checked out Rance & Sweden's wedding pics - so wonderful! This CD forum is getting addicting! Everytime I come into the office to place an order or check my mail, I wind up on this thing "just for a coffee break" Well, I'm outta here for a while. Got a van full of deliveries & the sun is shining!

Have a great day everyone!
Piper- Yep, this site is very addicting.... I won't even admit to how many hours a day I am here, there is always something to read. I missed those wedding photos, will have to go looking for them.
You know it is funny, but in 1982 I moved out to Boulder, Co. to make my millions. I was there about 6 months and moved back home because I was barely making a living because I was only 18 and Co. legal drinking age was 21, so I couldn't get a job in a real restaurant, but ended up at Pizza Hut where the difference in tips was enormous.
Maybe we have crossed paths at some point over the years? Don't know but it is fun to think about and it is a very small world....
BTW, just to let you know I never did make my millions in Boulder, I'm still waiting to make them.
Did your husband ever have the restaurant in the mall that served Italian food? I can't remember the name and I can't remember the mall name. It's the one next to the 3 storied Macy's. That isn't Crossgates is it? Crossgates is the huge one that is newer. The mall I am talking about is across the street from Bed, Bath and Beyond and Toys R Us. I cannot remember the names today, sorry!

Fall Fanatic- Take your time unpacking. It will get done eventually. Eventually is my new favorite word these days and fits Bill and I!
Pam

Old 11-05-2008, 11:25 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Jen: Holy Mackerel! We are very timid homeowners. I keep on thinking I'm going to make a mistake with everything, so I think we'll put the stripping on the back-burner.

On a side note, I had no idea that Rance and Sweden go married. That is great! I'm off to search for photos, too.

I'm home today because Lauren has a sick stomach. (No it is not from too much election partying!) My boss is so nice. I went in today and she told me to go home and take care of Lauren.

I was so excited when I came home, this morning, that I misplaced my car keys. It took three hours to figure out that I put them in my coat. I am a sad, sad woman.

Here's the link, Pam. https://www.city-data.com/forum/commu...rum-rance.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville