Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2008, 03:51 PM

2,700 posts, read 3,684,822 times

Advertisements

Hik--What a beautiful dining set! We're going to have to place Brown Squirrel on our 'places to visit' list next time we in the area. Great choice!

Old 11-08-2008, 05:08 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,957,279 times
Love the dining set, Hik. And I REALLY love the exposed brick - is your whole wall like that? Please do post another photo when you switch out the lights & paint the olive color on.

The only thing I am more addicted to than the C-D forums (well besides food), is HGTV. You would be doing me a huge favor by posting more decorating/painting photos; I could satisfy two "vices" at the same time!

Old 11-08-2008, 05:28 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,330,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperspal View Post
Love the dining set, Hik. And I REALLY love the exposed brick - is your whole wall like that? Please do post another photo when you switch out the lights & paint the olive color on.

The only thing I am more addicted to than the C-D forums (well besides food), is HGTV. You would be doing me a huge favor by posting more decorating/painting photos; I could satisfy two "vices" at the same time!
Wow! The rest of the regulars just cringed!

I am soooo kidding!

Everyone has been super supportive and indulgent. Big shutout to Gem!

I promise to post pics.

The front room and kitchen will be olive green. Will be staining the cabinets a possible walnut. We have old linoleum in the kitchen. Entertained slate for the floor. Realized that would be too cold. We love the look of stainless on the appliances but hear that the fingerprints are relentless.

That exposed brick is really the fireplace. It is painted white but the actual brick is an ugly grey concrete-like brick.

We have two weird areas of our house that we are pondering how to fix. I will show you some pictures of that some time.

Thanks for the feedback. I really, really need some advice. I've been out of the decorating loop although we are catching up!

Old 11-08-2008, 05:34 PM

6,196 posts, read 5,447,561 times
Oh HIK, You are doing great, one step at a time!

Old 11-08-2008, 05:36 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,522,967 times
Hik - I think your house is great and has a lot of character! I know you don't like that one place in your kitchen but you can do sooo much with it! Have you thought anymore of moving your washer and dryer? I think it is awesome that you have two fireplaces (insert jealous look)!

Old 11-08-2008, 05:40 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,353,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Wow! The rest of the regulars just cringed!

I am soooo kidding!

Everyone has been super supportive and indulgent. Big shutout to Gem!

I promise to post pics.

The front room and kitchen will be olive green. Will be staining the cabinets a possible walnut. We have old linoleum in the kitchen. Entertained slate for the floor. Realized that would be too cold. We love the look of stainless on the appliances but hear that the fingerprints are relentless.

That exposed brick is really the fireplace. It is painted white but the actual brick is an ugly grey concrete-like brick.

We have two weird areas of our house that we are pondering how to fix. I will show you some pictures of that some time.

Thanks for the feedback. I really, really need some advice. I've been out of the decorating loop although we are catching up!
Hik,
Why don't you post the problem area pics and let us become armchair decorators??? As long as you can have patience with our ideas, it could be fun.... we can virtually decorate your house!
We are surprising ourselves with our decorating abilities here in the apartment.

Old 11-08-2008, 05:49 PM

Thanks, Pam! That's all I need: encouragement to drag you all in!

I have a horrible camera, but I am online now, picking one out! Anyway, tomorrow, when I have light I will try to post pics and show you all the problems. I think they are fun "problems" and it would be great to get all kinds of feedback. Really.

SMG: I am definitely referring to that weird kitchen area with that weird mantle. Do you know that I found out that it has drawers and an electric strip and lights underneath? I was thinking of getting the server that matches the dining set to put underneath, paint the paneling, and leave as is, or....knock the whole darn wall down, leave the fireplace as free standing and make it a great room. It would certainly lighten up that dark front room.

Also, do you remember when you walk into the family room and there is that "office" just to the right? We were thinking of possibly putting the washer and dryer in there? I was thinking of knocking down the walls and opening up the entire family room. Possibly put a pool table there. Maybe.

Then there is the bathroom with the tile that Fred hates...

I just LOVE this!

Old 11-08-2008, 06:35 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,522,967 times
Hik - I am afraid if you take that wall down you are going to have flooring issues. I think you should use that wall to your advantage. I like the idea of a buffet also. I vote for painting the paneling and accentuating the mantle if you don't take it down.

LOL on Fred not liking the tile in the bathroom. At least I know that Lauren probably loves it!

Interesting thought on knocking the wall down to the office area. Would you take the half wall down as you walk in on the left? It is nice to block the air and makes the entry way but if you knocked the office wall down I guess you would take that down as well to make it all open. You could also think of actually placing your computer desk over in that space.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
Hik - I am afraid if you take that wall down you are going to have flooring issues. I think you should use that wall to your advantage. I like the idea of a buffet also. I vote for painting the paneling and accentuating the mantle if you don't take it down.

LOL on Fred not liking the tile in the bathroom. At least I know that Lauren probably loves it!

Interesting thought on knocking the wall down to the office area. Would you take the half wall down as you walk in on the left? It is nice to block the air and makes the entry way but if you knocked the office wall down I guess you would take that down as well to make it all open. You could also think of actually placing your computer desk over in that space.
That's exactly right! We are thinking of taking down the half wall down. In fact, that has been a given for awhile. That furniture just doesn't fit. And the wall is ugly and cheap. That "office" is useless, and we have the third bedroom, if we really needed it.

I agree, though. I am afraid of taking that wall down, too. Fred really wants to, though. Here's a weird thing that he showed me, today. That wall is drywall. It's new. The rest of the original house is plaster.

The only misgiving I have about it is I hate walking into a house and looking at a kitchen. Bleah. So if we keep the wall, I would love to take down the mantle and paint it.

I think the original house is well-made and very pretty. The walls are incredibly thick and the Tennessee marble is so cool. But I think that one of the owners (and the neighbors say that it was done well before the owners that we bought it from owned it) did not have the best of taste and put up that wall and did the garage conversion, which is weird. But we can fix it.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:35 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,353,176 times
Hik,
Why can't you drag us all in? If someone doesn't want to play, they don't have to.
Your house sounds like it has some neat quirks to work around. That is the charm of an older home, the quirks and challenges.....
Just my ever so humble opinion,
Pam
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville