Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of Indianapolis?
been there loved IT!! 117 38.87%
been there it was okay 126 41.86%
been there and would never go BACK! 58 19.27%
Voters: 301. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 06:06 PM

85 posts, read 150,253 times

Advertisements

Indianapolis is relatively clean - nice ameneites and lots of things to do - however - there are not many singles here unless they are in college so I am moving to Chicago myself ! At 33 I can't wait any longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 09:07 AM

97 posts, read 238,752 times
It must be sound and plain. Just plain ol' plain.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:10 AM

8,985 posts, read 17,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davante View Post
It must be sound and plain. Just plain ol' plain.
Like Ohio?

Old 01-22-2010, 11:06 AM

912 posts, read 1,333,054 times
I love Indy it's my hometown nuff said

Old 01-25-2010, 10:14 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,903,696 times
The COL is pretty low. It isn't really anything to look at though. Get what you pay for.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:20 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,437,365 times
For a city of its size, it is a fairly boring place. There is not one single exciting, interesting or unique neighborhood in the city. I'd say, along with Kansas City, Indianapolis is one of the dullest large cities in North America.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:35 PM

92 posts, read 351,540 times
Pros:
Nice and quiet, especially for a grad student like me.
Cheap houses!
Certain foods here cost less than where I'm from
Not too much traffic compared to bigger cities such as Chicago, NYC
Good ol' Colts (And I'm pisssed off that they lost last night!!! grrrr!!!)
People here seem to have manners. Unlike places where I've been such as L.A., Boston and even Chicago.
Great state parks to hike in (i.e. turkey run state park in Marshall, IN)
Fireworks such as rockets are legal to pop on New Years Eve and 4th of july. Easy to purchase these too!

Cons:
People seem segregated here.
If you're not white, I've noticed that you're ignored.
Not too many big good shopping malls here.
I don't know how to state this, but some of the people here lack creativity.
Not much as an intellect city compared to San Francisco, or NYC.
The foreign food, such as Korean ramen noodles, are expensive!!

Old 02-08-2010, 08:16 AM

245 posts, read 683,560 times
I love Indianapolis. It is a great city with plenty of great amenities and things to do. In my opinion, Indy is the kind of place that proves that things in life are what you make them. Is it as culturally diverse as Chicago? Nope. Is the food as good as NYC? Nope. But those cities are also several times larger than Indianapolis and have huge geographical and historical advantages.

Indy is an infant when it comes to being a major city. A generation ago, Indy was a rust-belt disaster...there really was nothing to do, downtown was deserted outside business hours, and people lived here only if they had to. Starting in the late 70s and early 80s, though, a transformation began that brought an NFL team, a skyscraper boom, about a million additional metro-area residents, a top-notch (and very popular) convention center, a new airport, millions of dollars in urban renewal projects, and a increasingly diversified local economy.

As a result, Indianapolis is thriving today. Indy was named the best city for new grads last year by Forbes or US News (I forget). Indy and its suburbs are almost always on the lists of "best places to live," or "best places to raise a family." Indy is a great place to do everything from grow up (great high schools in the city and the 'burbs), go to college (IUPUI, Butler, Universty of Indianapolis), work, or raise a family. Again, it may not be NYC or Chicago, where all one has to do is step outside to find something going on, but there are always options in Indy, like:
- the summer cultural festivals
- nearly all A-list concerts come here
- all but the most exotic food is available here
- the state fair is here since Indy is the state capital (take it or leave it, but it's an option...)
- there is plenty of high-end shopping (downtown, the Fashion Mall, Clay Terrace)
- there are two major-league sports teams and minor league baseball
- the Indy 500
- Indy hosts plenty of other major sporting events like the Final Four and Big Ten Tournament and will be hosting the Super Bowl in 2012
- the art museums

...and on and on. Best of all, it is all affordable compared to places like NYC, and nearly anyone that wants to is able to own a home in Indy.

Bottom line: Indy is a great place to live. If you're bored here, you just aren't trying.

Last edited by dave.dawsn; 02-08-2010 at 08:26 AM..

Old 03-17-2010, 07:50 PM

270 posts, read 358,886 times
I was offered a job in Indianapolis but have NEVER visited.. I was first VERY turned off by the idea by with Daves post, I want to check it out!

Old 03-18-2010, 06:16 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,116,485 times
I have never been to Indy, but I know it's a major city. Besides the sports, Indy 500, you don't here about it a whole lot. It looks attractive in the pics I've seen of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis