Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of Indianapolis?
been there loved IT!! 117 38.87%
been there it was okay 126 41.86%
been there and would never go BACK! 58 19.27%
Voters: 301. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 10:29 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,648,958 times

Advertisements

I am on the side of Ok. Been there many times...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2010, 07:11 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,546,411 times
I love Indy; deliver there frequently. The friggein' Hoosier cops are VICIOUS, though. Especially in Indy. And that idiotic (and dangerous) left lane truck restriction makes me hat coming to Indy for work...

Old 09-26-2010, 11:03 AM

1,766 posts, read 3,609,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
I love Indy; deliver there frequently. The friggein' Hoosier cops are VICIOUS, though. Especially in Indy. And that idiotic (and dangerous) left lane truck restriction makes me hat coming to Indy for work...
Everyone should write a letter to the mayor and try to get a petition circulating that the state police cannot set up speed traps on Indianapolis highways. They are ridiculous because if it wasn't for them we could drive like people in Chicago do.

Old 09-26-2010, 03:48 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,545,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
Everyone should write a letter to the mayor and try to get a petition circulating that the state police cannot set up speed traps on Indianapolis highways. They are ridiculous because if it wasn't for them we could drive like people in Chicago do.
You mean we could crawl on overcrowded highways?

Old 09-26-2010, 04:05 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,228,734 times
Lol. Indy is a nice, overall clean, easy to maneuver city. Maybe not a cultural mecca, but certainly a livable city with all the necessary amenities. Yeah it has its problems, but every city does. Seriously, scroll the forums. "What do you hate about San Francisco?" "What do you hate about New York?" They're everywhere. Some people just like to *****.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
You mean we could crawl on overcrowded highways?
No, I was going more for the part where if traffic is clear you can go whatever you want.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:37 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,545,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
No, I was going more for the part where if traffic is clear you can go whatever you want.
I know what you meant. I was partly joking. In my experience, the highways in Chicago are rarely clear enough to go fast, which might explain why you see Illinois plates flying at 80+ on Indiana highways. They can't help themselves when they get the opportunity to speed.

I think you actually have to be more careful in rural IL and OH since the interstates in those states are still set at 65.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
I know what you meant. I was partly joking. In my experience, the highways in Chicago are rarely clear enough to go fast, which might explain why you see Illinois plates flying at 80+ on Indiana highways. They can't help themselves when they get the opportunity to speed.

I think you actually have to be more careful in rural IL and OH since the interstates in those states are still set at 65.
Yeah I completely agree. I can't really speak for Illinois because I have only driven in the Chicago area, but Ohio has to be the worst state in the country for speed traps. It's actually weird what happens in Indiana because I feel like there are less speed traps in the rural parts of the state than in places like Indianapolis or Fort Wayne.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:31 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,872,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forcedtomove01 View Post
I hope I don't offend anyone, but it sucks to me! I just moved here from Chicago two months ago ..I live near Carmel and honestly it's just the deadest city life I've ever known. I love upbeat city life having travelled quite frequently to L.A and Miami over the past 10 yrs. My husband was relocated because of his job and I just can't wait to leave ...I take it for what it is ...a pit stop...now I know why they named it "Naptown".
I went to college with a guy from Chicago (actually many, but he was a freind, so I heard from him more often) and pretty much every chance he got he bashed Indianapolis. I LOVE CHICAGO. But I also know that Indianapolis is not Chicago, and I still love it. If Indianapolis had 8+ million people surrounding it like Chicago does, guaranteed Indy would have a lot more going on.

And it doesn't help that Indianapolis has more sprawl akin to L.A. than Chicago or NYC. There's a central (Marion County) population, but most people live just outside the city limits and work close to Indianapolis, or inside the city limits. And if you live in Carmel, congratulations, a lot of people would like to be in your place. Well funded schools, upper-scale shopping, property values that will only go up, low crime (at least in terms of violent offenses), etc.

I'm not offended by your post, because if I could get a job and could afford it, I would move to Chicago. But If I wanted the city life, and the privacy of a more rural area, Indianapolis is the place to be. Public transportation? Non-existent, and that's a problem that Indy has yet to solve.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I think it's the friendliest city in the Midwest and has a strong economy. It is also home to the holy grail of auto racing, Indy Motor Speedway.

On the bad end, it has a huge amount of murders for its size (150+ a year, 3X more than Louisville and 2X more than Cincy), and the terrain around it is very flat and boring.
In 2006 Indy had 140 murders, the next closest year was 2008 with 114. Indy has never had 150 murders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis