Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of Indianapolis?
been there loved IT!! 117 38.87%
been there it was okay 126 41.86%
been there and would never go BACK! 58 19.27%
Voters: 301. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 08:32 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cangar View Post

The biggest thing for me is the PEOPLE, Indianapolis is a city that if you're not from there or didn't grow up here people are not open to you. I'm just not impressed and looking to move in July 09 & make Nashville our new home.

I know scores of people who are not from here and love it. I know someone, very specific someone in fact, who is from Florida and hates it here. He complains nonstop and always talks about Tampa/St. Pete nonstop as though anyone around here cares. He also complains how no one wants to hang out with him. I don't want to hang out with him, because he complains non stop about Indianapolis and telling us how inferior we are in every way. It is rather annoying. Indy is what you make of it, but when you are complaining non-stop and name dropping FLorida stuff no one up here has heard of and doens't care about, it gets old. Sorry, got off on a tangent. What's worse is I came back to edit this and add my rant. Sad, sad, sad. *shakes finger at self in disapproval*

Good luck in Nashville! That is one of my favorite cities to visit; great town IMO.

Last edited by Toxic Toast; 12-18-2008 at 08:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 09:25 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,529,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cangar View Post
LIS123,

The biggest thing for me is the PEOPLE, Indianapolis is a city that if you're not from there or didn't grow up here people are not open to you.
I couldn't disagree with this statement more. I'm not from here, but I've never felt shut out. One of my good friends here is from the Cincinnati area, and he has stated that Indy is much more open than Cincy.

Nonetheless, to the OP.....I hope you enjoy Nashville. It seems like a decent enough place. I will say, however, that I lived in the south for 8 years, and there's plenty of "superficial" folks down there.

Old 12-18-2008, 12:17 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,056,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
I couldn't disagree with this statement more. I'm not from here, but I've never felt shut out. One of my good friends here is from the Cincinnati area, and he has stated that Indy is much more open than Cincy.

Nonetheless, to the OP.....I hope you enjoy Nashville. It seems like a decent enough place. I will say, however, that I lived in the south for 8 years, and there's plenty of "superficial" folks down there.

I am the OP and i dont remember mentioning anything about Nashville but who knows maybe i did. I have been to Nashville twice before and it was a nice place. Lots of Friendly people down there and lots of stuff to do.

Old 12-18-2008, 12:21 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,529,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
I am the OP and i dont remember mentioning anything about Nashville but who knows maybe i did. I have been to Nashville twice before and it was a nice place. Lots of Friendly people down there and lots of stuff to do.
Sorry, gdude. You got me. I meant the poster who expressed their dislike for Indy and desire for Nashville.

Old 12-18-2008, 12:43 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,056,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Sorry, gdude. You got me. I meant the poster who expressed their dislike for Indy and desire for Nashville.

Thats okay either way I have been to Nashville and enjoyed it down there.

Old 11-01-2009, 05:41 AM

10 posts, read 26,409 times
Talking Indianapolis

Indianapolis is a very good city to live in. No there is not 150+ murders here there is about 25-50 a year, Indianapolis is a very flat place but when you head south there are TONS more hills.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:11 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,052,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerainer View Post
Indianapolis is a very good city to live in. No there is not 150+ murders here there is about 25-50 a year, Indianapolis is a very flat place but when you head south there are TONS more hills.

Where have you been living? Not in Indianapolis. There were around 120 homicides in 2007 and 2008.

Old 11-01-2009, 12:57 PM

46 posts, read 154,354 times
My grandparents live in Cicero just north of Indianapolis in Hamilton County so I visit there very often.

I would say that Indianapolis is just your typical Midwestern city without anything special about it except for Indy 500 (NASCAR) to some people. LOL!

The pros of living in Central Indiana would be low cost of living with enough big city amenties. Whatever the area doesn't offer, you could easily drive to Chicago, Cincinnati, or Louisville, which is less than 2.5 hours away.

The cons would be high crime rate and flat, boring landscape along with the fact that Indiana is one of the states with highest unemployment rate in the country if I remember correctly.

Overall, it's a fairly good place to live for those who enjoy quiet, laid-back city life with a job from job market sector that isn't badly hit by economic recession.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:24 PM

21 posts, read 53,806 times
Ive been to indianapolis twice and both were summer season i loved it!,i currently live in metro Atlanta and there is a big difference between them,next summer i will be going again i love indiana if it wasnt for the cold weather and bunch of snow i would move there,it such a different atmosphere between Atlanta and Indianapolis

Old 11-09-2009, 04:01 PM

414 posts, read 1,504,815 times
Just recently attended the remoders convention and was really impressed with the cleanliness of your city. I have been all over this country and Indianapolis is by far the cleanest city. very nice and hospitable people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis