Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of Indianapolis?
been there loved IT!! 117 38.87%
been there it was okay 126 41.86%
been there and would never go BACK! 58 19.27%
Voters: 301. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 01:26 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,072,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
Here's my take on Indianapolis.

I'm a native Hoosier (from Evansville), and have been to Indianapolis on several occasions. I would call Indianapolis OK, but I wouldn't go as far to say that it's a great city, or go as low to say that it sucks.

I like calling Indy the Houston or Atlanta of the Midwest, because it's pretty much the only major Midwestern city that's growing at an extremely fast rate. Also, like Houston and Atlanta, the city wasn't built for the phenomenal growth it has experienced. Thus, I noticed sprawl in Indy was awful.

One thing about Indy I like is that it's very clean. Indy also has a decent skyline and it really keeps the streets clean around it's downtown. It also has excellent restaurants which, while maybe not as diverse and numbered as they are in Chicago, are very upscale and fancy. Women would love the shopping in Indy's downtown too, as it's pretty plentiful.

Indy could use some help in it's arts and cultural department, as it's very small there. Indy's nightlife, while fun in some areas, is also pretty limited, but I wouldn't call it "dead" like Cincinnati's. I actually found more things going on in Bloomington, and that city has 70,000 people!

But Indy has some great sport cultures, like the Indy 500 and the Pacers. And don't forget about them Colts (who I'm not a fan of btw, lol).

I currently live in Bloomington and that's my favorite city in Indiana. I find it has the most things going for it for young people (it is a college city after all). But Indy is a truly All-American, friendly city that, while not at all for me, is definitely perfect for a lot of other people.

you have perfectly described indianapolis. it isnt to fancy or plain. indianapolis moves right at the perfect pace. i also think indy could use some help in arts and cultural departmet but i think indy is starting to catch on. they are building the cultural trail downtown which i think is cool. i think that would be a start? Indy is pretty clean considering it is americas 12th largest city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 04:27 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,034,673 times
I never really saw a problem with "culture" when I went to school in Indy. Not a New York or Los Angeles by any means, but certainly no worse than many of their Midwestern counterparts.

I do doubt a city of 70,000 has more going on as a whole compared to an area some 30 times larger, even if it is a college town.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:53 AM

1,095 posts, read 4,000,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
I never really saw a problem with "culture" when I went to school in Indy. Not a New York or Los Angeles by any means, but certainly no worse than many of their Midwestern counterparts.
Which is a pretty low bar.

Quote:
I do doubt a city of 70,000 has more going on as a whole compared to an area some 30 times larger, even if it is a college town.
Not as a whole, but consider the impact of over 30,000 students and many more faculty. IU has a lot of arts, theater, music, etc. going on just because of IU. Once you get away from the campus itself, it's pretty much like every other city in southern Indiana.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:45 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,802,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptowner View Post
Which is a pretty low bar.

Not as a whole, but consider the impact of over 30,000 students and many more faculty. IU has a lot of arts, theater, music, etc. going on just because of IU. Once you get away from the campus itself, it's pretty much like every other city in southern Indiana.
You are absolutely right about that. A few steps outside of downtown and campus and it's pure suburbia.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:48 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,305,495 times
Any city that has a zoo pretty much can be labeled as a top tier.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:25 PM

8 posts, read 145,234 times
Having visited the city twice I would describe it as much like Minneapolis, only about 10 to 20 years behind in terms of development (i.e. Indy now is where Mpls was in 1980/1990), except without the terrific lakes and park system and a poor housing stock. Housing stock was very disappointing (if not down right ugly). Seemed a bit like an overgrown cow town.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:47 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,262,170 times
I lived there in the late '30s when you could hold out your hand and catch "black snow" (coal soot from chimneys). I was back in '72 for my father's funeral. By comparison, Indianapolis was clean in '72. They were really doing a great job of renewing themselves. However, I am told that all the old, famous department stores are gone and shopping areas are far and few between. You definitely need a car now, according to my cousins. I prefer Kansas City where it is more spread out and the people seem more relaxed. Not so much hurry-flurry.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:31 AM

8,985 posts, read 17,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
I lived there in the late '30s when you could hold out your hand and catch "black snow" (coal soot from chimneys). I was back in '72 for my father's funeral. By comparison, Indianapolis was clean in '72. They were really doing a great job of renewing themselves. However, I am told that all the old, famous department stores are gone and shopping areas are far and few between. You definitely need a car now, according to my cousins. I prefer Kansas City where it is more spread out and the people seem more relaxed. Not so much hurry-flurry.
hurry-flurry? In Indianapolis? I completely disagree.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:41 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,262,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
I'll take your word for it, not having been there in a few years. However, when I cross the Mississippi, I feel such a very different atmosphere. People seem to be in a bigger hurry, more anxious to get there and get it done, if that makes sense. I felt that on my last trip to Indianapolis. However, St. Louis is becoming the same way. "Hurry up and wait."

All that said, the last I saw of the city, it really was presenting a much cleaner face than it had when I was a child there. Even the buildings looked cleaner. They got rid of that soot.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:01 AM

1,095 posts, read 4,000,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
It's all relative, isn't it? It's believeable that Indianapolis is faster-paced than Kansas City. And this poster is at least 70-some years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis